1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kind of stuck in Moab

Discussion in 'South West' started by mullski19, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Jun 13, 2019 at 6:11 PM
    mullski19

mullski19 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    hey all! I am in the middle of my cross country drive as I move from dc to Marin county CA! I am currently in Moab and I first noticed this problem in Kansas. Currently I have a 2002 tacoma 3.4 4x4 manual. I do have a motorcycle in the back and probably carrying quite a bit of weight (750lbs +). When I am going up hills the truck will stutter. It got so bad going up to the mountains from Denver I had to pull over; I was having trouble going over 40mph. I just happened to have bought spark plugs a few weeks ago and they were sitting in my truck. I pulled over, swapped all 6 plugs and I was on my way, no issues. I was then going from summit county CO to Salt Lake City UT and going through those canyons I began to stutter again. I pulled over and I also happened to have bought wires the same time I bought plugs so I swapped out the wires. I noticed 2 of the wires were pretty corroded so I felt assured this would solve my problem. No issues, we made it to salt lake fine. Then I began to stutter coming out of salt lake going up into the mountains towards Moab. I then pulled over (I had bought steel wool to thoroughly clean the connectors in the coils in the case it stutters again) and used steel wool to clean the metal on the coils as best as I could. I made it to Moab no problem. Today I got to do a little off roading and while the truck was not under load began to stutter. I am not waning to replace the coils unless I know that is the problem ( I hope it is the coils because that seems the easiest to fix). I have read some people saying to clean the tps and maf, however, I don’t have the tools to check and clean these systems. Does anyone have any insite? It typically will only stutter after hours on the road with a ton of weight in the bed at high rpms. Any advice would be amazing. Thank you so much in advance.

-Jake

bigmw likes this.
  2. Jun 18, 2019 at 5:50 AM
    pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rio Rathole
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, Wheelers 5-leaf & Bilstein 5100's, some nice LED lights from Chris, big-ass bumpers, older-than-dirt owner
    It could be a clogged fuel filter; that could cause the problems under load at high rpms. It's a pain to get to, though, at least on the 4-cylinders.

bigmw likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top