1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kinda bored. Should I sell my Tacoma? opinions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ktm112racer, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Jan 21, 2017 at 7:35 AM
    Ktm112racer

Ktm112racer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've got a nice 2012 magnetic gray Trd sport Tacoma and I do like the truck but I have two kids in car seats. I know this is a Tacoma forum and everyone is going to be biased towards tacomas but I'm curious to hear your guys opinions. I've been debating selling my Tacoma and getting a 2010-2012 Honda Ridgeline. I know there not the most gorgeous trucks like a Tacoma is, but the flexibility of the truck has so much more storage for my kids stuff and for my motocross gear and other stuff. Plus there's more room for the car seats and the Honda has a latch system with better safety ratings. Honestly I don't think the Ridgeline look that bad in 2010-2012. I don't do any off-roading so it's a car from point a to point b. The Tacoma is a gorgeous nice truck that I like but doesn't really have much room with car seats and honestly doesn't still have much room for hauling stuff with my dirt bike. I have a short bed double cab Tacoma by the way. I'm curious if you guys think I should sell the Tacoma for a Ridgeline since it will probably make my life easier and more comfortable. Or should I just suffer it out and use the Tacoma. I've always been a long time taco fan and don't know what my life would be like without a taco. So let's hear some opinions. By the way money isn't a determining factor either.

2. Jan 21, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    JTD408

JTD408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Icon stage 3 SCS stealth 8's Clazzio sear covers Weathertech floor loners Redline hood struts
    It comes down to your needs. What do you need? If you need features the ridgeline offers and Toyota lacks it makes sense to make the switch. You have to identify your needs against wants. Now other factors also come into play. Toyota trucks are as about as dependable as you can get and their resale value is next to none. I can't speak for the ridgeline having comparable qualities. I personally do not like the looks of the ridgeline at all. Tacomas are much more attractive vehicles. Also, is your Tacoma paid off? There are many factors that come into play here.

Swampcollie likes this.
  3. Jan 21, 2017 at 8:47 AM
    Hondah

Hondah Revelations 6:8

Member:
    Newnan, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '13 RC 4x4
    The grass isn't always greener.

With that being said, change isn't bad.

Good luck on your decision.

Kyitty and ecgreen like this.
  4. Jan 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM
    jv_74

jv_74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Filthadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Silver Sky Metallic
    My buddy had a 12 ridgeline. He liked it, didn't love it. He traded it for a 15 F150.

They do have more storage and a bit more passenger room than the taco. Honda is easily just as reliable and well built as toyota. If i wasnt such a yota guy I'd be more of a honda guy.

Good luck! Don't think you can really go wrong either way

5. Jan 21, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    HawkShot99

HawkShot99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    13' Silver DCLB TRD Sport - Sold
    20150904_132643.jpg I traded in a 08' Ridgeline RTL on my Tacoma.
    You will get constant hate from "truck owners" how the Ridgeline isn't a real truck. However 90% of those people know nothing that they speak of, or never use their truck as a truck. It had a higher payload capacity than the taco, and defiantly squatted less with my motorcycle in the bed. I loved the storage hatchet hat was located under the bed of the truck, and the barn door tailgate to easily access it all.
    The cab is much more refined than the taco, on even the basic Ridgeline vs the trd's, my RTL had full leather, navigation, sunroof, heated mirrors, plus a lot more. All things you expect when paying that much for a truck. When I got the Tacoma, I defiantly took a big step backwards in the comforts department.
    For somebody with kids, the backseat of the Ridgeline is huge! I am 6' high 200#'s and could sit with my knees not touching the backs of the front seats. I would never comfortably ride in the back of my Tacoma.
    The Ridgeline has a smoother ride than the Tacoma. That can be good or bad. I did miss the truck fealty when I had it.

In the snow I preference to be in the Tacoma. The Honda was good, but I couldn't change anything based on conditions. It was front wheel drive, but switched to AWD when there was slippage. You could lock in the rear, but only 1st or 2ND gear.
    Towing the trucks feel the same, but I only tow 3000 #'s or so most of the time.

Sounds like I really loved my Ridgeline, so why did I get rid of it? I was never in love with the truck, but did really like it. I bought it because I got a GREAT deal on it. I had 160k miles and there were many things I needed to drop some $ into for maintenence and repairs. Instead of doing that, I decided to spend that $ on a down payment on a Tacoma instead. I love my Taco visually and functionaly, but do realise it's not perfect. I'm a single guy so no need for some of the pluses on the Honda.

Both are great trucks in their own way.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    ZachPrerunner and ChadsPride like this.
  6. Jan 21, 2017 at 10:49 AM
    Muldoon

Muldoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Northeast Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 ACLB TRD-OR 4.0, Green
    5100s, Wheelers AAL, Leer 100R
    Sounds like you already know the right answer. Trucks have come to be many different things to different people but primarily a truck, or any vehicle for that matter, is a tool. Choose the right tool for the job. Do you need a vehicle to make you look better or do you need a vehicle to suit your needs better?

7. Jan 21, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    sogafarm

sogafarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma reg cab spruce mica
    31" Falkon wild peak AT's, fat bobs lift, mud accents
    Just so you know, the Mpg's on the Honda are not better than a Tacoma, about 17mpg. I've had both. Love my little Tacoma, but the ridgeline was so much more refined, it's almost in a different league. I would look into a full size ford or gmc and get more power and room for the same Mpg's.

8. Jan 21, 2017 at 12:44 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I use to have the RTL ridgeline. It has its uses.

Negatives-
    Mpgs were worse than my Tacoma. Spare tire is trapped in the trunk if you have the bed loaded. Imagine getting a flat with a bed full of mulch. Spare tire is a donut. It has NO off-road ability. I couldn't drive on washed out dirt roads. It has a 4wd badge but it's not 4wd. Its an AWD type system. Has no option to turn on 4wd. Its front wheel drive and kicks in the rear tires when it senses slippage. I found the front seats are not near as comfortable as the TRD seats. Its ugly. You kinda just don't look at while getting in. My ridgeline had some reliability issues.

Positives-
    Interior is roomy. Rear seats fold up to make a large storage area in the back. Rides like a car. Bed trunk is convienent for tools and storage. Their AWD system works well on wet, snowy, or slushy roads. No tire humps in the bed, completely flat.

If you need a car like vehicle that has a bed and wont see rough off-road it will suit your needs.

Kyitty likes this.
  9. Jan 21, 2017 at 1:15 PM
    HawkShot99

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    100% on the mpg's of the first generation Ridgeline. The new I think gets mid 20's though, but is kinda fully.

10. Jan 21, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    jv_74

jv_74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Filthadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Silver Sky Metallic
    [​IMG]

Can't decide if I like the new body or not.

11. Jan 21, 2017 at 1:21 PM
    HawkShot99

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

The Honda Ridgeline may not be a dream offroad vehicle, but to say it can't even drive down a washed dirt road is a bit much.
    It won the Baja 1000 on 2 occasions for its class. The only changes made to its off road setup was a 2" lift and more aggressive tires.

12. Jan 21, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    HawkShot99

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    I do not. To me it looks to much like the CRV front end.
    But then again I wasn't crazy about the first generation either when I bought it, but it grew on me with time.

jv_74[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 21, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I guarantee there is more than tires and a lift on that ridgeline. I had to turn around on a washed out service road because it couldn't get down the road without bottoming out. No exaggeration.

Sugar Silva likes this.
  14. Jan 21, 2017 at 1:26 PM
    SixthSnail

SixthSnail I have no idea what I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    I sold my tacoma and bought this 4runner. Now I miss my tacoma. If I sold the 4runner and bought a tacoma, I'm sure I'd miss the 4runner. It's a terrible cycle.

jaydeebee, Sugar Silva and sogafarm like this.
  15. Jan 21, 2017 at 1:28 PM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    IMG_2577.jpg

That is no factory ridgeline.

Justinlhc, ChadsPride and Kyitty like this.
  16. Jan 21, 2017 at 1:41 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    Men don't let other men drive Ridgelines...

Nobody said it yet. Can't mention a Ridgeline without saying it. So I had to be the one.

ManBeast, outlawtacoma and Fitz235 like this.
  17. Jan 21, 2017 at 1:54 PM
    HawkShot99

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    I don't remember the name of the class off the top of my head, but stock suspension is a requirement.

I see a roll cage and safety stuff added. Glass windows removed. I never said the truck was STOCK but not nearly as useless as you make it sound.

18. Jan 21, 2017 at 2:06 PM
    moondeath

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    I didn't say it was useless. Read my post. I said it's not any good at rough off roaring.

19. Jan 21, 2017 at 2:14 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    ^There I fixed it for you^

The one and only argument I could make for you to keep the Tacoma is a financial one. Buying and selling vehicles is expensive. That said when my son was born my wife and I both drove 2 door cars. He wasn't 2 weeks old before I was at the dealership buying a 4 door family car, Honda Accord. Best thing I ever did to make my life better and easier. Don't drive something that doesn't work for you. And, don't listen to the Ridgeline bashers. The best thing that could happen to Tacoma drivers is for the Ridgeline to be a runaway success. That might force Toyota to bring out a 4 gen that wasn't just a warmed over 2nd gen. I parked next to a new one the other day and if it weren't for my need of off road capabilities I could be tempted.

jaydeebee, boynoyce and HawkShot99 like this.
  20. Jan 21, 2017 at 2:18 PM
    Blockhead

Blockhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2019 magnetic gray DCLB
    OP I would keep the Tacoma. However, the only factor That may change my mind is the LATCH system you mentioned although I've never really explored the Tacoma's child seat safety options being that it doesn't concern me....good luck in your decision.

Products Discussed in

To Top