1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

King rear shocks not fitting in lower shock mount.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Smitty93, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Feb 9, 2017 at 11:49 AM
    Silverspool

Silverspool Come at me Bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    18T4RORP 16MX5Turbskie 17GT350
    Anyone seen my wallet?
    are you doing this with load off the springs? truck up, axle down with no load? might try installing underload.. that will slightly changle the angles

i dunno

2. Feb 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    Smitty93

Smitty93 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Off Road DCSB
    yeah this is all with load off the springs. but it should still line up without hitting, otherwise at full drop it would make contact with the mount.

AbunaiTaco likes this.
  3. Feb 9, 2017 at 12:00 PM
    ZachPrerunner

ZachPrerunner Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn’t

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    ‘07 TRD Offroad / ‘19 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Grind the bitch down and be done with it. You won't be taking off enough to mess with the structural integrity of the mount. Not to mention, no one's going to notice considering it won't be visible. It's a Tacoma after all. What's a little modification going to hurt?

Silverspool likes this.
  4. Feb 9, 2017 at 12:28 PM
    Smitty93

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Off Road DCSB
    I'd rather exhaust all options before I go ahead and do something that can't be undone

AbunaiTaco likes this.
  5. Feb 9, 2017 at 12:31 PM
    ZachPrerunner

ZachPrerunner Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn’t

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    ‘07 TRD Offroad / ‘19 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Yeah I know what you mean man. If it comes down to that though, it really won't be that big of a deal. I too was skeptical about grinding stuff away, but a CMC takes that skepticism away real quick.

6. Feb 9, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    If the pinion angle were the problem, then one side would go on with ease, and the other would have some difficulty.

7. Feb 9, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    dumontrider

dumontrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 GX460
    I've got All Pro Standards with Icon remote resi 2.0's. Are you wanting a pic of the bottom shock mount or the axle showing the pinion angle? Or do you only want King installs on those leafs?

8. Feb 9, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    If it comes down to pinion angle, you'll likely need to install axle shims, which would effectively rotate the pinion upward, rotating the entire axle a little bit in the process. But you will need to separate the leaf packs from their perches on the axle to do this, and since you must remove the U bolts to do this, you should get new U bolts too.

AbunaiTaco likes this.
  9. Feb 10, 2017 at 6:14 AM
    Smitty93

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Off Road DCSB
    anything to compare it to mine would be great.

That's a good point. Both sides are having the same issue so maybe this isn't the problem...

Got a flip kit with brand new u-bolts. Can I buy these shims anywhere or are they usually custom made?

10. Feb 10, 2017 at 7:13 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Lots of places have them off-the shelf. The can also help resolve drive shaft vibration problems after lifting, which increases the u-joint angles.
    Wheelers has a few options, and I'm getting the steel onese, which are made by Toytec (other vendors sell them too, you can shop around). Other places have them in different angles, but most guys go straight to 3 degrees because it will straighten the drive shaft/u-joints as much as possible (I realize this is not your primary issue), but it is laborious and you don't want to spend a lot of time an money experimenting with different angles. In your case, I think you need as much as possible to adjust the shock mount angle anyway.

AbunaiTaco likes this.
  11. Feb 10, 2017 at 7:49 AM
    dumontrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 GX460
    Here's the best angle I'm able to get in dress slacks & shirt lol. That surface rust is making my OCD flare up.

20170210_074743.jpg

AbunaiTaco likes this.
  12. Feb 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM
    Smitty93

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Off Road DCSB
    Well I have some no name shocks on my truck now that I got from a local TW member so I can drive it at least. Although I now have the low speed/take off shudder, so I'll definitely be ordering shims here soon.

Got a response back from King, and they are saying it looks like I'll need to grind out part of my mount to fit the shocks. I have to imagine if a top of the line suspension company is recommending to do this, then it can't harm the structural integrity that much. after all it is just a small amount that needs to be removed. I'll still try other options before I do this though.

Sorry should have been more specific. I meant a picture of the leafs and the rear housing/pinion angle to see if its any different from mine. something like this....
    upload_2017-2-10_12-9-22.jpg

13. Feb 10, 2017 at 12:19 PM
    dumontrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 GX460
    Here was the best I could get without taking a tire off or waiting for the sun to not be so bright in the background lol.

1486757484730[1].jpg

1486757542764[1].jpg

14. Feb 13, 2017 at 7:13 AM
    Smitty93

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Off Road DCSB
    Well the angles look pretty much the same, seems like I might need to do some cutting after all. Going to contact a local fab shop to see if they can add any reinforcing to the mount.

Did you have a takeoff shudder after the leafs were installed? and did that drive shaft spacer take care of the vibrations?

15. Feb 13, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Where you get your shaft spacer?

RacecarGuy likes this.
  16. Feb 13, 2017 at 8:29 PM
    dumontrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    La Habra, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 GX460
    Yes I have driveline vibes. Not bad on takeoff, more from about 15-25. I think the spacer helped, maybe placebo effect. I need to measure all my angles and get axle shims. I was more concerned with how much the shaft was coming out of the transmission output.

4 Crawler Offroad is the only supplier for 2wd spacers. They're a different bolt pattern than 4wd, you guys have tons of options for 1/3 what I paid ($81).

17. Feb 13, 2017 at 8:35 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    You're really making too big of a deal out of this. Bur bit the weld on that mount until the shock fits and be on your way.

AbunaiTaco, scocar and Justinlhc like this.
  18. Feb 13, 2017 at 8:37 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    I think you're REALLY overthinking this. A fab shop and reinforcing the mount is extreme overkill for a quick 30sec grinder job that would solve all of these issues. o_O

AbunaiTaco and scocar like this.
  19. Feb 13, 2017 at 8:42 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    I've installed a few kings on tacomas. I had to hit the inside of the shock mount with a burr grinder on both trucks.

It's the right shock. They are just really beefy.

AbunaiTaco, scocar and Smitty93[OP] like this.
  20. Feb 13, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    Smitty93

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Off Road DCSB
    This is why I posted it on here asking for help/opinions. I had never heard of having to grind part of the shock mount to fit these shocks, and paying a good amount for supposedly stock replacements I didn't expect too either. I'm not opposed to grinding it out but wanted to make sure I'm not going to cause the mount to fail by doing so. also I would rather exhaust all options before doing something that can't be undone.

Now that I've got some opinions/advice, I feel a lot more comfortable cutting into it. Thanks fellas.

Nickel likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top