1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

king vs. icon vs. fox racing coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SoCalTacos, Feb 10, 2012.

?

Coilover Preference?

1. Fox Racing

227 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Icon

291 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. King

341 vote(s)
    37.6%
  4. ADS

49 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Feb 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    EVErsionDesigns

EVErsionDesigns Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 4wd TRD OffRoad
    Camburg UCA, 2.5" Icons, 2.0" Icon air bumps, TRD Intake, TRD Exhaust, TRD TT Wheels, OMF Beadlocks, BFG
    Gotcha :thumbsup:
    Thanks a lot man

2. Feb 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    Larson7.62

Larson7.62 Active Member

Member:
    Yuma, AZ
    Looking at DSM's website, I can't seem to find King Coilovers without a resi for a 2nd gen. Is that even available?

3. Feb 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    They don't have the option. They only make them with remote reservoirs

4. Feb 12, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos [OP] Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    Get camburg or saw.
    Just as good and red in color.

5. Feb 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Removing your desert bashing failed Icon's from my list of people I have seen online with issues I still have seen far more of these Icon's fail for numerous reasons. I think Lurry had cracks in both of his top hats :notsure:

I personally (not web) know a guy who CRAWLS who broke a top hat and I personally (not web) know a guy who cracked a shaft. Yes, Icon took care of them with replacement products. That isn't the point and that wasn't the point when I researched what brand I wanted on my Tacoma almost 3 years ago. I looked for issues people had with them. My research came up with zero King issues and numerous Icon issues.

Whens the last time someone on here saw a King 2.5 implode on a weekend warrior Tacoma????

Anyone? And I'm not talking about some idiot kid who is jumping a mid travel truck over the grand canyon.

6. Feb 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.

The valving part means nothing, just a marketing ploy in an attempt to differentiate themselves. You can get any of the shocks valved however you want. Progressive, digressive, strait stack, flutter stack, rate plates, +1 (double shim), close/open freebleed screws...the list goes on.

As for the compression adjusters they are ALL a gimmick, regardless of manufacture. They only restrict oil flow through the adjuster orifice. It doesn't change the actual dampening of the piston. For the extra $200 you are spending, you would be way better off with a bump or bypasses. Don't fall into the marketing gimmick.

As for King...they will build whatever the hell you want however you want. If you want more travel, have them build OE replacement coilovers without the internal stop to get more shaft travel and throw on some limit straps.

And since you're doing comparisons, King have larger shafts with a huge top not, I swear to god the valve shims are made out of adamantium which is more than I can say for the competition, King resi's are made out of aluminum instead of low carbon DOM so they don't rust, and they require no special tools to work on. You can rebuild the whole shock with nothing more than an hex wrench, wrench, and a screwdriver.

7. Feb 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    EVE Designs

EVE Designs GNAR Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Valle Vista, Ca
    Vehicle:
    13 Offroad
    Right on, thanks for the info.

I've always known King to be the easiest to tear down and rebuild plus the info you provided helps solidify my decision.

8. Feb 15, 2013 at 2:46 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Ironically, I was originally wanting Fox. Then kind of thought about how I have dealt with Fox since the mid 70's on motorcycles, and deal with them today working on bicycle stuff. In my almost 40 years tuning suspension, I'm tired of Fox and seldom recommend them anymore to bicycle riders. So why would I buy them for my truck.

I looked at Icons and thought these are pretty good and should be fine. Right off I noticed that top mount and with my aerospace background hesitated at the design.

I just recently decided to either go small with 5100's and know what I have and drive as applicable, or go King and be done with it.

I was a bit disappointed seeing King only offers non rezzy shocks as emulsion dampers. I understand why and know that these are not really optimum. So I save and work overtime...

All this said though, if I do settle for less, don't kill me, I don't plan to, but sometimes life just forces the issue.

PK

9. Feb 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Just want to clear a few things up on here. As with any product, there will be loyalists and haters spilling false info. I did some double checking and here is 100% facts. Just want everyone to have the right info for educated purchases.

Icon:

When tuning a linear piston (Comp / Reb) if you tune for low speed you will greatly affect the high speed as well. In a race application you absolutely want a Linear / Linear but ICON felt it was more viable to take a different approach for vehicle specific applications vs making mounts for a race shock and tuning the best you can. ICON shocks truly define a "vehicle specific" shock throughout. Race shocks are more focused on high speed, not worrying as much about changing lanes on the freeway and so on that a street vehicle is faced with. The ICON internal design of Linear comp / Digressive rebound allows us better street / offroad tune-ability.

ICON reservoirs are Aluminum with double the aesthetic style over that of a King resi. Icon uses the same seals and shim quality in their OEM application. Yes king has a race series but you are not getting those parts in their pre runner series or oem shocks. ICON acutally uses a higher quality nitride steel shaft, better oil than king does in their oem shocks, they come black which so many people desire and it's not 150.00 plus up charge.

ICON does not just add in a compression adjuster only allowing you to pinch off fluid as he says. Icon's CDC specific shocks are truly different. To explain you have a standard ICON Tacoma coilover with their standard off the shelf valving. Then you have a CDC shock that they actually take and re-tuned so that the "standard" valving is set to about 3-4 allowing the consumer to truly have an adjustable shock. The high resolution CDC valve will then allow to make significant adjustment in both directions vs. the other guys you can only stiffen the shock. Icon's CDC valve does have compression and rebound valving, and as always tuned "vehicle specific" to the applicable application.

Also, one of the pics above is from one of the employees at Icon's personal vehicle. He broke the factory mount before installing long travel and only tacked it back together.....he drives his truck hard and with not repairing it correctly it allowed the oem mount to flex and fail again and the next thing in line is the upper mount. It takes both pieces to work right with out failure.

Also, for anyone in the Riverside area or making a trip to So-Cal, that may want to learn the truth and learn real facts about ICON their doors are always open for a consumer to visit our facility for an education session with Dylan and Adrian the head designers that will change there thinking.

Like i said before, we have sold and serviced all shock brands. We suggest the best product for each customers application be it Icon on a Tacoma or Raptor, of Fox's on a F-150 with a Camburg Race kit in North Dakota (dude built the truck in a week, it's nuts!) Or King's on a Dodge with some Carli goods.

10. Feb 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    They are good folks, there is no doubt about that. :)

11. Feb 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    TACOconvert2012

TACOconvert2012 My truck hates you. My wallet hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    SC'd 2012 MGM TX/Pro 4x4
    never ending..
    I know yall are talking shocks here, but how do you guys feel about the billit UCA's that icon offers??? worth the $$$?

12. Feb 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    If you need heimed joints yes, otherwise no.

13. Feb 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos [OP] Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
  14. Feb 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    kieth

kieth Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 trd
    Full OME lift with Dakars, 886s and LR UCA's, Firestone air bags w\ onboard compressor, 2 kicker CVT 10" subs , MB Quart 1000w amp ,Alpine media player
    I am going to make the switch from my 886 ome front coils to a better quality coilover. I've done lots of research and am leaning towards the Icons's. What I would really like to know is which brand is going to be softer on road when cranked up to 2.5-3 inches. I have dakars in the rear and an all pro front bumper and I need to sit relativly level. My 886s with the allpro bumper rides like shit , so stiff. I noticed the Icon extended travel non resis say they are adjustable up to 3'5 inches so I'm thinking maybe they would be softer with 2.5 ish inches of lift. I don't do any high speed off roading , just 4lo trail crawlin type stuff. Do any of you guys have any input on the ride quality of the different brands when cranked up around 2.5 inches with a plate bumper.
    Thanks

15. Feb 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Benefit of the Billet, Little bit stronger than the tube uppers since it's one solid machined unit, not saying the tube are not strong, they are plenty strong. It's the Heim joints for adjustment, and that they have a dust cover for the uni-ball. Gets you a bit longer life out of the uni-balls by keeping a lot of junk (dirt/mud/road grime/ect) out of there, not to mention the bling factor! Ha. Yes, it is a 1" uni-ball, but the diff from 1" to 1.25" is minimal strength wise. The rest of the suspension is what's limiting the travel. A 1" will yield the same travel. If the uni-ball was say built into the spindle vertical, a 1.25 or 1.5 would be better to allow for a good smooth lock to lock steering.

Better on road ride will be the Icon due to their valving. But cranking the coil that much is gonna stiffen any of them up due to more pre-load on the spring. But your on track thinking of going with the ext. travel Icon's. Also, Icon does offer a heavier coil to take a bit more of the added weight you have so you wouldn't have to pre-load as much. Just ask about when ordering from who ever you choose.

As always we offer a Tacoma world discount, just shoot me a PM or give us a call and ask for Vince.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  16. Feb 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    GreenTaco28

GreenTaco28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 SR5
    ARB bumper-Icon 2.5 ext. travel coilovers with King coils and Total Chaos uca's-hella lights-2 12'' JL Audio subs- 285/75/r16 BFG AT's- Marlin Crawler 1.5 in. wheel spacers- Toytec AAL with 5100's in rear-Flowmaster dual exhaust- Black UWS Toolbox- Bushwacker fender flares- Viper alarm system.
    I have Icons, but with the 13'' coil they come with, I had a lot of preload which made it ride like crap. All the top brand coilovers (Icon, King, Fox) should ride pretty smooth at 2.5 inches of lift and I would imagine they would all ride pretty stiff at 3.5 inches, my Icons did anyway. I switched to a 14'' King coil and I have much less preload and it rides great now. If you give DSM a call and ask them, I've heard you can order Kings with a 700# coil which would help a lot with the bumper. Hope this helps

17. Feb 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    First off I'm not hating on anybody...just providing the "facts" that I know. In the end THEY ARE ALL SHOCKS, it doesn't matter whether its King, ICON, or Fox. You can make any of them perform however you want. But I do however have some question about your "facts," given that some of them don't make sense.

First off, linear comp and digressive rebound valving is nothing new. You can make a digressive dampening profile by preloading the valve stack. Hell just by using a slightly higher viscosity oil will move the dampening curve more digressive as will larger valve ports. I still stand by my claim that you can take any color shock and valve it however the hell you want. You say ICON are vehicle specific but no two of the same vehicles are the same. The off the shelf valving provided to Joe Consumer is not going to the same nor ideal for "rig number 1" with 4x4 DCLB v6, plate bumpers, full steel skids, sliders and 300 pounds of crap in the bed when compared to "rig number 2" which might be a single cab prerunner and a 4banger with no bed.

As for the "double the aesthetic style," I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, but last time I checked aesthetics is completely subjective. While you may think they look twice as good as kings, not everyone has the same tastes. In regards to the king pure race series seals (viton vs buna), there's a reason those are not run in OEM and prerunner series shocks. They can slightly leak oil in cold weather until the shock heats up but they withstand high temperature situations better. In race situations this is obviously not an issue, but for a DD, it certainly can be. As for the shock oil...last time I shopped King only offers two types of oil, one for air shocks and one for everything else (OEM, prerunner, and pure race). Maybe they have more than one kind of oil for the pure race, but I've never seen anything available retail. Fox on the other hand does offer two different "color" shock oils, blue and red. Maybe you were referring to Fox?

As for the compression adjusters, maybe I'm looking too deep into this, but why is it called a compression damping control (CDC) valve if it controls compression and rebound? While you claimed that the CDC valve doesn't restrict oil, you didn't explain what it actually does do? How does it change the valving? Is there a second sent of valve shims like with internal bypasses?

Bookaroni likes this.
  18. Feb 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    The CDC does restrict flow, but in addition to it, the valve stack that comes on the shock with the CDC valves is different than a shock w/o the cdc's. The valving on a CDC shock is a bit stiffer than a normal shock. What the CDC allows is to restrict or open the oil flow to the piston which in turn will let the piston/shaft compress/rebound faster/slower. Much like tuning a bypass shock and adjusting your comp/reb tubes. it does change the valving, it works with the valving like a bypass does.

So yes, the CDC in theory is just a valve that restricts the flow out of the resi, but when used in conjunction with the right valving it does give you soft/harder tuning options depending on terrain.

And yes you can take any color shock and valve it how you want. but 90% of the consumers buying shocks do not know how to valve a shock nor have the tools to do so. So having vehicle specific tuned shocks will get you a lot closer to what they are after. As for a truly vehicle specific, you are right, there a many things that cannot be accounted for. Full tank of gas, half tank, XXL big boy driver or some kid weighing 125lbs wet. In order to have a truly specific valved it would have to adjust on the fly which is not gonna happen any time soon. But, you can get it close by just going off say a ext cab Tacoma V6.

19. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    Doomsday

Doomsday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB MGM
    Lights, Tires, Wheels,...more to come!
  20. Feb 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    cameronlane

cameronlane Well-Known Member

Member: