1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Knock sensor code P0325 & P0330

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomatrd22, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Sep 20, 2016 at 9:41 PM
    tacomatrd22

tacomatrd22 [OP] TRD SuperCharged Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged tacoma
    FlowMaster Super 44 2" lift Gray wire Fog light
    After looking at multiple trends and countless hours of research on google. I was still wondering why I still got a code from the computer saying Knock sensor 1 & 2 Malfunction even after replacing the sensors and wires years ago. Since there was trends about this topic on other websites but TW I finally decided to do my part and giveback to this amazing website and help some people that might have this code in the near future.

Before doing this job be sure to research it first before replace.

Buying the sensors isn't required but if you want to spend the extra money and be worry free you can buy the knock sensors from a local dealership or a Toyota Parts store.

I bought my sensors from: http://www.midatlantictoyotaparts.com/
    Instead of spending $220 for each sensor I found this site and only payed $165 each
    Knock Sensor - 89615-12090 (This is what my truck took, you can call your local dealership, tell them your VIN and ask them to give you the part number you need for your specific vehicle.)
    Sensor Harness - 82219-34010

- Even though any aftermarket knock sensors may be cheaper it ain't worth removing half the engine just to see the codes pop right back up during a test drive.
    - The main reason why you get the 2 codes is due to the wiring harness becoming old, cracked, and brittle from years of sitting inside the engine.
    - Upon receiving these codes the ECU will think the engine is really knocking putting the whole vehicle in Limp mode to reduce knocking.

Bought some O'Reilly brand knock sensors (Pictures below)
    OEM sensors on the left, O'Reilly's on the right
    Seeing the comparison between the 2 sensors you can see quite a difference
    To sum it up if you ever receive these codes just replace the wiring harness

Hope this helps someone out in the near future. Sorry if this trend is a little messy, first time doing a help-me-guide on TW.

Thanks for the info of these websites http://www.customtacos.com/forum/13-performance/79135-both-knock-sensors-failed-same-day.html

jktx1, kskin and tacopashka like this.
  2. Sep 21, 2016 at 10:54 AM
    Obsessed2000

Obsessed2000 Just a big dummy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NC/VA line
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4x4 3.4
    Deck plate mod Bilsteins All pro leaf springs All pro greasable shackles Camburg UCA Interior Led conversion Tundra TRD springs Extended SS brake lines Seat covers 33" yokos White herculined exterior
    Funny enough i just had to replace these in my chevy. Did it three times replacing the knock sensors and the wires. First two times i got bad knock sensors from NAPA. Apparently if there dropped during transit at any point its very likely to break them. So be very careful and pray the box they came to the store in wasnt thrown around.

3. Sep 21, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    tacomatrd22

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged tacoma
    Really? Didn't know anything about that. The OEM sensors I got were packaged really well. But I guess it's luck if you do get a aftermarket knock sensor. But going through the time to tear down half the engine apart isn't worth it to try again.

4. Sep 22, 2016 at 8:15 PM
    kylehirsch87

kylehirsch87 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma ext cab TRD
    Supercharged, cold air intake
    Does anyone have opinions on the sensors off Ebay? I'm not talking about the ones for $20 a piece. Found a pair for $80. I've read over 100 forums involving this problem and figured just replacing the harness would fix the problem. I replaced my harness and still have a P0330 so I'm assuming the knock sensors need to be replaced. I honestly think $330+ for a pair of OEM is ridiculous, but if I need to I will. It would just be nice to save $200. I'm gonna take a multi-meter to them tomorrow and see if I can't ohm check them before I dive into pulling the intake manifold again.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Sep 22, 2016 at 9:40 PM
    tacomatrd22

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged tacoma
    I have seen postings on eBay for cheaper knock sensors. Can you really trust them? I say no. If you don't mind replacing them another time (if they still give you the code) I would give it a shot, but $80 for sensors especially for how high those sensors cost a piece just doesn't sound right.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Sep 22, 2016 at 9:54 PM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    I've read the reviews on Amazon for the Beck-Arnley knock sensors for the Tacomas and its just not good. Some people get 3 months out of them, some get 6 months, some get two years. But it's a crap shoot. I guess if you're okay with knowing in your mind you'll do the repair again within 2 years, but you will save 150 bucks, go for it. Just as long as you have realistic expectations, that's all.
    The Beck-Arnleys are 80 bucks.

7. Sep 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM
    cruiserguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
  8. Sep 22, 2016 at 10:35 PM
    cruiserguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
  9. Sep 28, 2016 at 7:03 PM
    tacomatrd22

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged tacoma
    I used 89615-12090 on my first post for this trend. But as said before check with your dealership and find out the part number. But I rather spend $150 more for sensors that'll last me 10 years or more compared to 2 years.

10. Oct 3, 2016 at 1:34 PM
    ThunderCookies

ThunderCookies This is the Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
    5100s at 2.5 setting up front 5100s with 2" AAL around back TC Uniball UCAs 285/70/17 Fierce Attitude M/T SCS Ray 10s 17” 14" Magnaflow w/3.5" Stainless Tip SOS aluminum armor front bumper SOS high clearance rear bumper Stealth grill light bar and pods 4" Westin Nerf Bars Weathertech in-channel visors Window tint Bed Mat Proven Ground Locking Roll-Up Tonneau Cover All-weather rubber floor mats Custom Wolfpack TRD Decal TOYOTA Vintage Tailgate Decal 4 Wheel Drive vintage decal Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod Bed Mat Anti-Theft Mod Sliding back glass Anti-Theft Mod Future Mods: Bedside bottle opener Bedside storage lock/key mod Bed pod lights
    CEL is on and had it checked at Advanced Auto Parts. Code PO333 knock sensor :annoyed:

Are you saying I can just replace the wiring harness and it should clear the code?

11. Oct 3, 2016 at 9:17 PM
    tacomatrd22

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged tacoma
    Yes mostly likely. When you start seeing the knock sensors you should see the wire being old, brittle and hard from the years of heat it has dealt. Someone that replied to this trend actually said he still had a code up even after changing the wiring harness. If you know how to get into the knock sensors I would just replace the wiring harness and see what your ECU will say after clearing the code.

12. Oct 4, 2016 at 1:46 AM
    ThunderCookies

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
    5100s at 2.5 setting up front 5100s with 2" AAL around back TC Uniball UCAs 285/70/17 Fierce Attitude M/T SCS Ray 10s 17” 14" Magnaflow w/3.5" Stainless Tip SOS aluminum armor front bumper SOS high clearance rear bumper Stealth grill light bar and pods 4" Westin Nerf Bars Weathertech in-channel visors Window tint Bed Mat Proven Ground Locking Roll-Up Tonneau Cover All-weather rubber floor mats Custom Wolfpack TRD Decal TOYOTA Vintage Tailgate Decal 4 Wheel Drive vintage decal Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod Bed Mat Anti-Theft Mod Sliding back glass Anti-Theft Mod Future Mods: Bedside bottle opener Bedside storage lock/key mod Bed pod lights
    The CEL keeps going on and off. One day it will be on and the next nothing...

Was that your experience too?

13. Oct 4, 2016 at 11:46 AM
    tacomatrd22

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged tacoma
    Nope mine was fully on, that might be a sigh saying your wiring harness is going bad.

14. Oct 4, 2016 at 11:52 AM
    vasinvictor

vasinvictor Junkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '01 DCSB racetruck
    hx35 turbo, AEM F/IC, Transgo, custom converter, CalTracs, Elocker, 2-4" drop, 4x4 conversion (2023) on a new purple powdercoated fram, 255/55r18 street, 255/60r16 M&H Racemasters, 7.6 at 91
    I mean maybe the harness is going bad, but these sensors can and do definitely go out, especially when they are hearing knock. If you've gotta pull the intake mani, suck it up and get new KS for it too. JMO

Before sensors go, they start failing intermittently before completely going out. Definitly replace the pigtail harness while you'r under there, but I'm betting you've got a bad sensor.

15. Oct 4, 2016 at 12:27 PM
    ThunderCookies

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
    I haven't heard any knocks. How hard is it to get to the sensors/harness? If I find a rat I'm just going to sell the truck...as is :bananadead:

16. Oct 4, 2016 at 12:30 PM
    vasinvictor

vasinvictor Junkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '01 DCSB racetruck
    hx35 turbo, AEM F/IC, Transgo, custom converter, CalTracs, Elocker, 2-4" drop, 4x4 conversion (2023) on a new purple powdercoated fram, 255/55r18 street, 255/60r16 M&H Racemasters, 7.6 at 91
    The sensors pick up knock you'll never even hear. Takes about an hour to get down to the intake manifold if you've done it a dozen time. If not, plan on spending a day at it.

tacodown and ThunderCookies like this.
  17. Oct 4, 2016 at 12:49 PM
    ThunderCookies

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
  18. Oct 4, 2016 at 12:53 PM
    vasinvictor

vasinvictor Junkie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '01 DCSB racetruck
    PO333 does seem to relate to severed wires, moreso than an actual failed sensor. Good luck!

ThunderCookies likes this.
  19. Oct 4, 2016 at 1:41 PM
    ThunderCookies

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
    Just did a quick look around the engine for any signs of mice/etc and didn't see anything. I did read that it could be a groundhog which I just do happen to have around my house that has been terrorizing my vegetable garden the past month. Looks like he has moved on to bigger and better things :frusty:

This may be too advanced of a job for me to tackle on my own

20. Oct 4, 2016 at 1:45 PM
    Brice

Brice Turbo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5
    Wastegate assisted turbo delete
    I replaced mine with chevy part number SU1075 and they have worked great under boost, therefore I'd assume they work on an N/A motor... There also only $22 a
    piece

I also have 2 working knock sensor off of my engine if anyone is interested.

Products Discussed in

To Top