1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Knock Sensor Problem

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Strunkkt, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Nov 11, 2017 at 10:54 PM
    Strunkkt

Strunkkt [OP] New Member

Member:
    so i have had my 01 tacoma for a few months now. pretty much been getting check engine light since day 1. bought a scanner and it keeps throwing codes randomly for knock sensors. sometimes #1, sometimes #2, and sometimes both. i can't duplicate the malfunction and am totally confused why they keep tripping. it usually happens when i'm driving, but if its just idling, it doesn't come on. i have been watching the check engine light whenever i hit a bump in the road or anything, and its totall inconsistent. i have had the sensors replaced, but the problem persists. not sure what i can do to fix the problem. i have read a couple threads saying to replace plugs and coils. i know that the plugs were replaced but i'm not sure about the coil packs. i have read another thread saying that exhaust rattle can cause the knock sensors to trip. there is a slight loss in power when the check engine light is on.

my question is, what could be causing the knock sensors to trip so randomly? and should i just go ahead and replace the coil packs? and if anybody knows of any possible reasons for a "false" knock sensor code being thrown.

2. Apr 16, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    derektaco

derektaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 tac
    nobody ever responded to this, hmm. I'm currently having the same issue. I reset the computer and the moment I hit a small bump it goes off. what did you find?

my situation is that I changed the leaf springs to heavy duty springs ( one extra leaf) and also changed the rear shocks to blistien. I built a wooden camper on the back. probably 300 pounds. wanted the extra leaf to deal with that weight. now I'm drive with the check engine light always on. I checked continuity of sensor, there is none, good, and made sure it was installed tightly. so. knock sensor hell is where I exist. the truck seems to run fine, and I ultimately just want to know if the sensor is doing is normal job, even with the check engine light on. and if it throws the code because of my rear suspension causing noise that the ECm isn't programmed to find acceptable

Products Discussed in

To Top