1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kyitty's Humble Build Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Kyitty, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Mar 29, 2016 at 9:11 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty [OP] Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it looks these days. All the mods I want money for now are mechanical. Haha.

2. Mar 30, 2016 at 12:11 AM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    grats on making the banner, its about time we got the 3rd gen off there! :thumbsup:

3. Mar 30, 2016 at 8:49 AM
    tstergin

tstergin Sterg

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD Off Road 4.0L V6 ACLB
    My front plate bumper didn't come prepared to mount a license plate... how is your plate mounted on the front bumper? are the holes threaded or are you running a machine screw through with a nut on the back side?

4. Mar 30, 2016 at 10:57 AM
    Pelfreybilt

Pelfreybilt Pelfreybilt Off-Road, Inc.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pelfreybilt
    El Cajon, California
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    ~ Pelfreybilt aluminum 4runner front bumper and Rocksliders coated by Line-X San Diego ~ Baja Designs- LED Lighting Grill with LED lightbar & 40" roof rack lightbar ~ Rigid Industries rock lights ~ Front Runner Outfitters roof rack, fridge slide & bottle opener ~ CVT Rooftop Tent & Awning ~ Goose Gear storage drawers ~ Katzkin Leather seat covers ~ Switch-Pro control kit ~ Factor 55 Flatlink ~ WARN VR8000-S Winch ~ Fuel Offroad Trophy Wheels ~ Goodyear Kevlar Tires ~ ICON Vehicle Dynamics Stage 5 kit. Appx 2.5" lift ~ ARB lockers, skid plates & 50qt Fridge ~ JL Audio custom stereo system

We LOVE your rig & appreciate that it's being featured on the Tacoma World home page!! ;) Congratulations & we're stoked to have you in the #pelfreybiltfamily :)

5. Mar 30, 2016 at 11:06 AM
    Kyitty

Kyitty [OP] Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    See Build Page
    Thanks Satin! I'm humbled for sure. I will recommend your products to anyone who asks. Love how it looks. :)

Pelfreybilt[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Mar 30, 2016 at 7:35 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty [OP] Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    See Build Page
    Just got my @Pelfreybilt vinyl decals in the mail today! Plus a stack of Satin's business cards. :) Now to wash the truck and figure out where to put them decals...

Pelfreybilt and ChadsPride like this.
  7. Apr 3, 2016 at 1:08 AM
    squint0241

squint0241 OVRLND

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Tropics
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB/Off-Road 4X4
    Bone Stock
    Nice Taco! And congrats on the banner! You have excellent tastes and we have somewhat of a resemblance in our trucks...;) Keep up the great work!

Kyitty[OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 7, 2016 at 6:32 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty [OP] Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    See Build Page
    Ordered ECGS Pre-Built Diffs Front/Rear for the Tacoma yesterday. Will be re-gearing to 4.56 and adding ARB Air Lockers. Hope is to get this in hand, installed, and broken in before my planned trip to Moab, UT for the Rock Therapy event on June 1st.

Spent a LOT of time reading and debating on whether to do 4.10 or 4.56 gears. All the math showed that 4.10 would put me back to factory type settings with my 33" tires. However, factoring in the additional weight on the vehicle from skids, bumpers, winch, recovery gear (and a topper some day) I figured 4.56 was the way to go. Plus, I always felt like the truck hated anything uphill when it was STOCK. The constant shifting between 4th and 5th gear was not only annoying but isn't good for the motor/transmission.

Gas mileage is going to suffer - but it's been suffering from everything else I've done to this rig so far anyhow! At least I'll be able to keep the torque ratio where it ought to be and I'll have a great setup for slow crawling in 4x4.

Really need to get my CB installed so I can do Moab though. It's been sitting in the garage for a while now.
    Uniden Bearcat 880
    http://smile.amazon.com/Uniden-BEAR...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01

ecgreen and ChadsPride like this.
  9. Apr 7, 2016 at 7:32 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty [OP] Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    See Build Page
    Method NV Wheels:

I sent a message to Method Racing Wheels through Facebook a couple days ago. They are pretty slow to reply. However, I asked them about hub spacers for their Method NV's as I've had wobble ever since I got them. My Michelins and Coopers were both road force balanced. Method recommended NOT using hub centric rings because then you can't use their hub/center cap. Instead they said I should be using Extended Thread lug nuts.

So, since I can't find anyone who will sell a 24 pack of the Gorilla 12mm 1.5 BLACK ET splined lug nuts I found another brand through Amazon. Unfortunately, the seller isn't Prime so I have to wait a week to get them. :annoyed:
    Here's what I ordered:
    http://smile.amazon.com/Premium-DPA...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Now I have $15 hub centric rings sitting in my kitchen. Cheap plastic pieces of crap I got through Amazon. Guess I'll mail them back to Amazon.

ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Apr 7, 2016 at 9:55 PM
    fatfurious2

fatfurious2 IG: great_white_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access Cab
    awesome build! I actually saved some of your pictures when I was researching skids. I did go with RCI also. Later down the road, I ordered a white Pelfreybilt hybrid bumper. Hopefully my bumper install wont be as difficult as yours. Im going to try to not trim the front skid.
    Our trucks will be very similar!

Kyitty[OP] likes this.
  11. Apr 12, 2016 at 4:02 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty [OP] Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    See Build Page
    Got my Uniden Bearcat 880 CB Radio installed today! Yes... I paid someone to do it. Local shop in town charged me $163 ($85/hr) to do the install. I think it came out VERY clean. They made their own custom brackets to mount it in the cubbie hole in front of the gear selector. Couldn't be happier so far. I've yet to take the time to tune the antenna (just picked up the truck and went straight back to work). Meeting a local 4x4 club tonight so hopefully I can do a radio check and get it tuned.

Here are photos!

Firestik II Antenna mounted on @RelentlessFab hood mount brackets! Could have have worked any better. I've got the metal roof and hood for ground planes so I'm hoping for good signal. And as you can see the hood bracket ensures that with the hood completely open the antenna parallels the windshield. Works out perfectly.

I'm giddy and can't wait to actually put the CB to some use now!

12. Apr 13, 2016 at 5:47 PM
    cubiclesurfer

cubiclesurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kailua-Kona, HI
    have you tried looking into putting your 255/85 spare under your truck? I'm thinking about ordering the same size tires, but I'm just wondering what exactly needs to be trimmed/cut for it to fit under there.

13. Apr 13, 2016 at 5:57 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty [OP] Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    See Build Page
    It won't fit without modification. I think it might if I remove the exhaust hanger and cut the exhaust pipe short. Otherwise the pipe will/could melt the tire.

cubiclesurfer[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Apr 18, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    yote

yote Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Ext Cab TRD Off-Road
    A little bit in shock as to how I haven't sub'd your thread yet!
    Well... here I am :wave:

Kyitty[OP] likes this.
  15. Apr 19, 2016 at 10:54 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    :wave: don't mind me, just in here

:drool::drool::drool:

ecgreen and Kyitty[OP] like this.
  16. Apr 19, 2016 at 11:28 AM
    Kyitty

Kyitty [OP] Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    See Build Page
    Sold my N-Fab steps last night. Also sold my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires end of last week.

Dropping off the truck tomorrow morning for locker and gear install!

ChadsPride likes this.
  17. Apr 19, 2016 at 11:30 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    :yes:

Kyitty[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  18. Apr 19, 2016 at 11:51 AM
    WheelInTheSky

WheelInTheSky Ramblin' Man

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Jackson Hole
    Vehicle:
    02 XtraCab 4x4 SR5-speed
  19. Apr 19, 2016 at 12:33 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty [OP] Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    See Build Page
    Alright I am so torn right now. I've got to figure out a way to secure my 33" spare tire for my Moab trip May 31st. Plus I need to get Rotopax or something to carry fuel and water. I'm hoping to secure the spare in the bed somewhere / somehow so I don't drag it around underneath the truck.

I'm liking the idea of bed racks that sit BELOW the cab. That way I could throw the tire on top to strap it down and not have it stick above the cab height.

@RelentlessFab makes a bed rack that looks decent. And it can be modified to allow quick fists and a Hi-Lift mount. Perhaps they'd even help me by allowing me a way to mount Rotopax to it? Problem is they say it's a 4week turn around at least on their site. That cuts it pretty close.

http://www.relentlessfabrication.co...ducts/05-tacoma-bed-cargo-cross-bars-set-of-3

Anyone know of any ready made bed racks that are below cab height that might help me?

Or the cheap route I could just tether the spare tire against the cab and use Rotopax's Toyota/Nissan bed rail mounts for now too.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  20. Apr 19, 2016 at 10:53 PM
    squint0241

squint0241 OVRLND

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Tropics
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB/Off-Road 4X4
    Bone Stock
    I have 33's and I'm in the same situation. Right now I don't carry a spare:eek: I have cut my pipe though right at the hangar awhile back, so I plan to see if I can mount it under the bed. It's a must do...;) Perhaps this weekend I might try to see if I can stuff it under there and I'll let ya know:notsure:

ChadsPride likes this.
To Top