1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lack of power but engine is revving

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jane, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Oct 26, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    jane

jane [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 v6 4x love it
    Oh man.
    I have a 2005 4x4 v6 access cab tacoma. Manual. I love this truck. 118K miles

In late august, on the way back from a weekend road trip, it started sounding like the engine was revving too high and it was losing power. I took it to the dealer. It was JUST over the warranty, but I was willing to pay to make my awesome truck happy. It had a hard time getting up to highway speed at times, a little variable, but suddenly waaaay down from the kickin' peppy truck it was shortly before and borderline unsafe. The mechanic said "There is nothing wrong with your truck" and replaced the air filter and an oil change for the diagnostic price (ouch).

I felt like an idiot, but it ran a little better. Still not what it was and I was bummed that my truck had gone from being GREAT to seeming like an old beater. It ran sort of OK for about 6 weeks but way weaker.

In the last couple of weeks, it has really kicked up again. I mean like a couple times I didn't think I'd get up the highway ramp. I have to be real careful about pulling out of a parking space if there's a car a block away. My heart fails if traffic makes me slow down and lose momentum. Some days I can't get it over 60. But today I filled up and it got to 75.

Its scary but if I can limp 2 more days I'll be gone for a week and then I can take it in. The engine light has never come on. The shifting feels fine.

Right now, its always bad, but sometimes its worse than others. It did feel better after I filled up. Nothing rough about it, just s-l-o-w, but the engine goes VROOM.

My fiance thinks it's clutch or transmission, but after some reading I am wondering it it might be fuel system related or the exhaust/converter.

Things are dicey now and I really really really do not want to take it in only to hear "it's fine" again. I'll probably cry. I can't wrench this thing, but it would really help to know where to point the guy, and how expensive this can get. I think I might have used the dealer for the last time but main reason I go back is they have cheap rentals that can allow me to get to work with minimal hassle. Plus, I'd like to have this truck forever.

Before the warranty was out I did have a fuel pump (I think) replaced.

That's a lot of blabber, but I really love this truck and this is bumming me out (plus dangerous).

Anyone have thoughts? Really want this to get fixed.

Thanks, I have read this forum a fair amount and really appreciate the info. If I manage to get this fixed and it stays fixed I'll be a Tacoma lifer. This is my dream truck.

2. Oct 26, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    First off, welcome to TW! sounds like your tranny is slipping a little with the rev high and it not moving how it supposed to, try taking it to a transmission shop and have them look at it

3. Oct 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    You really think a mechanic would miss a bad clutch?????? That'd be a first... I mean, I agree and all, sounds like a clutch, but damn.

4. Oct 26, 2011 at 10:39 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    clutch

5. Oct 26, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

2nd that

Do you smell the clutch burning?

6. Oct 26, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Very distinct smell... :D

Does it make a funny sound when you put it in neutral and let out the clutch?

7. Oct 26, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    jane

jane [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 v6 4x love it
    No smell at all and no funny sound except that the engine revs w/o it accelerating as it should.

I also thought clutch at first but that was what I suggested to mechanic and thought he would be happy to sell me one. Would that be something that would not make engine light go off?

Also, is this necessarily a replacement thing, or maybe an adjustment thing?

Thanks for the responses.

8. Oct 26, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Clutches do wear over time and hard use. Cable style clutches can be adjusted, but I don't think hydraulic clutches can, which I believe tacomas are hydraulic. I would sugest taking your truck to an aamco or other reputable trans shop. Not sure what area you're in, if you can post that, I'm sure the suggestions will come flying in on where to take or even a member on here giving you a second opinion. What you are describing does sound like the clutch slipping ie engine revving in gear but not accelerating.

9. Oct 26, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    jane

jane [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 v6 4x love it
    Thanks. I'm in Sacramento. Thinking about red rocket auto or anderson's transmissions. Maita was the one who said nothing was wrong with it. Who ever heard of a mechanic that did not want to sell you a clutch?

10. Oct 26, 2011 at 11:11 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4

There are plenty of NorCal members that would be willing to give ya some help in determining your prob. I would defineately take it to a different shop, and if it turns out it is the clutch and you paid for the previous place to diagnose, then you should have them refund your cash.

11. Oct 26, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    jane

jane [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 v6 4x love it
    Well, at least there seems to be consensus on this issue. :)

12. Oct 26, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Sacramento huh.... come to my house, or I can come to yours if you're not too far... driving my roomies car though, I'd rather not drive too far. I'm near Watt and Auburn.... you close by?

13. Oct 26, 2011 at 11:15 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    PM sent. I can help you tommorow.

14. Oct 27, 2011 at 6:53 AM
    speeddemon2588

speeddemon2588 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Columbus, IN
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail
    5100's
    I know the consensus is the clutch, but has anyone checked the MAF connector? Mine did the same thing after I had the truck in for warranty work, tech didn't plug in the connector for the sensor right. The truck would rev but had almost no power. Didn't set off a CEL until the connector completely came off. Maybe it came loose or something. Just a thought. Good luck hope things work out. :confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top