1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Laptop or Desktop for gaming.....what do I need?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Warputer, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Dec 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    Primo 95

Primo 95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars
    First of all, I would get a desk top, 2 reason...better heat management/performanc and 2 - a laptop is going to get dropped, broken or stolen. If you are stretching your budget for your kiddo...let it be something that stays in the safety of his bedroom.

You will be limited on your choices of that budget...a good middle of the road gaming rig will set you back $1500. Dont buy an expensive montior, you can get a used monitor from a local PC shop or Office resale shop...or just get a small TV that has a VGA input. I have 32" Samsung TV as my monitor and it works perfect for gaming and the occassional work.

I personally have a Alienware, cause I get a huge discount on Dells through work....it is a great gaming rig, but that is my hobby that is where I spend my money.

But there are some deals out there.....my friend (who is a Dr. and money is no object to him) just bought one from here (an expensive one) but they have some deals in the $700 range for an i-5 core

http://www.ibuypower.com/2012/christmas/desktopspecials.html

Another options is:
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Go pick up a magazine called Maximum PC, it is basically a magazine devoted to Gaming Rigs....there are tons of ads in you and the kiddo can pour over and direct you to a website to buy something good.

You are a good Dad going through this trouble for your son and trying to do the right thing on a budget.

Good Luck

Products Discussed in

To Top