1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Largest RV I have seen on Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tbmevent01, May 9, 2009.

1. May 10, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    tbmevent01

tbmevent01 [OP] @zombietacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC
    TRD exhaust,AFE CAI,debadged,mag light mod, King 2.5 resi rear, King front resi coilover, ICON Delta Joint UCA, Total Chaos Expedition LCA, Deaver Stage 2 expedition leafs, FNW wheels, LT285 /70 R17 Toyo Open Country AT/3s,Leer 100XQ,Wet Okole front and rear, Wheelers Super Bumps w/Ubolt flip, Full Prinsu racks,
    Good suggestions. I have 1 sway bar and will be getting another as I have the 1 cranked down as tight as it will go. I have reduced the "tail wagging" by slowing down speed and adding weight to truck it seems to have helped. Love the tail wagging term... it definitely fits. lol.

2. May 11, 2009 at 7:55 AM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Just remember that when loading the trailer that 60% of your weight needs to be in front of the trailer axles. That will help a lot for controlling sway. Putting weight in the truck doesn't really do anything though as the sway is a result of the trailer wagging. The weight in the truck may only help you get it under control a bit.

BTW when talking sway the terms get mixed up a lot. It's expected no matter what your trailer setup is that you'll get some "sway" as a big rig passes you or you get hit with a cross wind. True sway though which is the more "deadly" form that people referr to is when your trailer tail starts swinging back and forth when going in a straight line. This doesn't have to be caused by wind or a big rig passing but is more a result of a trailer being too long for the wheelbase of the vehicle or the tongue weight of the trailer being too light. Slowing down will reduce this as well as proper loading and sway controll equipment. If you ever find yourself in this situation first and foremost DON'T HIT THE BRAKES! .. you should have a manual brake lever on the trailer brake controller. Keep your foot on the gas.. manually engage the trailer brake and let your foot off the gas until everything is under control. Manually hitting the trailer brake will "snap" everything back into position. If you hit the truck brakes you're more than likely to swing the rear of the trailer round the front and the fun begins... or ends.

As TRD2001 stated as well.. head winds are a b**ch when they start to get up there. I hit that situation once myself as well. Don't be surprised if you hit a 25+ headwind and you struggle to keep going with that big of a trailer.

3. May 12, 2009 at 5:56 AM
    tbmevent01

tbmevent01 [OP] @zombietacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC
    TRD exhaust,AFE CAI,debadged,mag light mod, King 2.5 resi rear, King front resi coilover, ICON Delta Joint UCA, Total Chaos Expedition LCA, Deaver Stage 2 expedition leafs, FNW wheels, LT285 /70 R17 Toyo Open Country AT/3s,Leer 100XQ,Wet Okole front and rear, Wheelers Super Bumps w/Ubolt flip, Full Prinsu racks,
    Great information. Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top