1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Last Ditch Effort Lug Nut Remover Worth it’s Weight!

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by KY_Rob, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jul 3, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    KY_Rob

KY_Rob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB TRD-OR
    Tinted front windows WeatherTech Vent Shades Hondo Garage ARFCOM Radio Knobs Perfect Squeeze Phone Mount Taco Garage DMM Coverking CR-Neoprene seat covers OEM Matte Black Badging Covers OEM TRD Pro grille 4x white grille lights Black textured rear bumpershellz Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners A/C Drain Mod MESO Ultimate Turn Signals MESO Extended Fuse Box Cover MESO Ultimate Map Lights MESO Ultimate Dome Light MESO Gasshole MESO Minimalist Key Fob OEM TRD Pro Rear Lights OEM TRD Pro Skid Plate OEM Bed Mat Lomax Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau MESO Stage 2 Total Tails MESO Puddle Pods Kicker speakers throughout (Subaru tweeters)
    Just a quick public service announcement on a last ditch effort tool I picked up this morning at AutoZone of all places...

CTA Emergency Lug Nut Remover

Tire Discounters must’ve had King Kong tighten that one lug nut. Broke 2 sockets and it still wouldn’t budge. Heated up, nothing moved. Went at it with a cold chisel, and still nothing. Wasn’t sure what the hell I was going to do. Went AutoZone to pick up some new cheap lug nuts (18yo Jeep Liberty my kid drives. They just have to hold). The guy there recommended this, and was straight up that it was a one-time use tool. For $13 I figured it was worth a try.

Followed the directions, and got it in place, and the thing reverse threaded itself all the way down with the impact and didn’t budge. Removed the impact, and got on it with a 36” breaker bar, and *CRACK*. I though I’d broke the stud. Nope, the nut & socket screwed right off.

Gonna be keeping one of these in each vehicle from now on.

wilcam47 and SR-71A like this.
  2. Jul 3, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    surprised you didnt break the stud off...

KY_Rob [OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 3, 2019 at 11:09 AM
    KY_Rob

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB TRD-OR
    Tinted front windows WeatherTech Vent Shades Hondo Garage ARFCOM Radio Knobs Perfect Squeeze Phone Mount Taco Garage DMM Coverking CR-Neoprene seat covers OEM Matte Black Badging Covers OEM TRD Pro grille 4x white grille lights Black textured rear bumpershellz Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners A/C Drain Mod MESO Ultimate Turn Signals MESO Extended Fuse Box Cover MESO Ultimate Map Lights MESO Ultimate Dome Light MESO Gasshole MESO Minimalist Key Fob OEM TRD Pro Rear Lights OEM TRD Pro Skid Plate OEM Bed Mat Lomax Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau MESO Stage 2 Total Tails MESO Puddle Pods Kicker speakers throughout (Subaru tweeters)
    That makes 2 of us. Seriously considering replacing the hub, just because of that stud (they’re not replaceable).

wilcam47 likes this.
  4. Jul 3, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    wilcam47

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    was it cross threaded?

5. Jul 3, 2019 at 11:24 AM
    KY_Rob

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB TRD-OR
    Nope, just really tight. They put it on not even a week ago. I’m thinking they lost count of their ugga-duggas with the impact wrench. Makes me concerned about the remaining strength of that stud, it was so tight.

wilcam47 likes this.
  6. Jul 3, 2019 at 11:25 AM
    wilcam47

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma
    4 inch lift
    Id definitely grease it but should be ok unless its cracked.

KY_Rob [OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top