1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LCA Bushings: OEM, Energy Suspension, Whiteline

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by alphabravo, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Jun 3, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    betterbuckleup

betterbuckleup Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 2.7 4x4 5-spd Extra cab
    OME suspension w/ 881's, deck plate, 31s
    With either brand, I would recommend getting some of the super lube with the PTFE additive. Lots of success stories from people that have used it. I got a tube of it for my grease gun and I now use it for everything.

Had a bad creaking from my total chaos UCA's not too long after installation after using the supplied grease, then pumped it full of the super lube and it's been dead quiet ever since.

Since there aren't any zerks on the LCA's to grease them after installation, be very liberal in covering all pivot points with the stuff before you throw them back on.

Sreppep likes this.
  2. Jun 3, 2019 at 12:04 PM
    Running Man

Running Man flat faced submarine and 4 runner

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Mission Tx
    Vehicle:
    1995 tacoma sr5 RIP 2001 t4R Limited
    nothing on the runner yet
    no you just didnt notice how shit they were

my dad said the 270k bushing on my 1st gen were fine... on paper they didnt squeak so one could say so

i could feel the play in the steering and handling so for 40 dollars i replaced them with es

they made a drastic improvment on the handling but also a drastic decrease in ride quality

Sreppep likes this.
  3. Jun 3, 2019 at 12:16 PM
    Sreppep

Sreppep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4x4 5spd
    5100/Toytec, FJ TT wheels
    I bought the whole ES kit. Did my body mounts Saturday and those were PITA. Gonna try and knock out the rest of the front end bushings once I get the spare set of LCAs and have the bushings in them. Along with new UCAs.

I’m tried of the clunking noise and swaying all over the road.

Running Man likes this.
  4. Jun 3, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    Running Man

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Mission Tx
    Vehicle:
    the clunking noise is something else probably sway bar end link bushings

nvm 01 up had a different setup

i wouldnt do the es bushings if a daily they were pretty rough

it wasnt bad to daily it was just something that after a long stressful day you go, "im tired of this shit"

5. Jun 3, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    Sreppep

Sreppep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4x4 5spd
    5100/Toytec, FJ TT wheels
    Like a rough ride? My truck by no means has a soft ride as it is lol.

Running Man likes this.
  6. Jun 3, 2019 at 4:01 PM
    Running Man

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Mission Tx
    Vehicle:
    goes from bad to kill me please but i still loved that truck tho

7. Aug 4, 2019 at 9:33 PM
    Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti BlackJack Taco

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD Blackout
    Deck plate gray wire Blackout De-badge Lift Tires
    I don't know if this deserves it's own thread, but I'll tack this here for now:

I have an '02 4x4 and the last time I went to the brake shop the guy said I needed new bushings (pretty sure on the Lower Control Arm) because the grease was leaking out or something. He then asked for $400+ to fix the problem. I did a 360 and noped right out of there.
    1. How do I verify that my bushings are bad
    2. is swapping bushings really as bad as depicted in this video (I've seen tacoma world members boast that it is a 30 minute job for both sides. I can't believe)
    3. I have a new LCA on the passenger side and only need bushings for the driver's. Should I also swap the Upper control arm bushings as well? What about on the passenger side?
    4. Energy bushing kits 83115R are apx $44 for a full set, White line is $65 for a half set (lower left and right) and RockAuto has these Moogs for $18.06. If I buy bushings from RockAuto is the price for a pair or per ea? I'll contact support on a weekday to confirm, but I figured I'd ask since I'm sure someone here must have firsthand knowledge.
    I don't think that I should switch everything over to polyurethane, I'm seriously starting to consider just buying a whole new Lower Control Arm and skipping the hassle, but I don't know. I don't have a ton of spare time, but I don't have $400 to pay the shop, either. I'm just looking for some advice to replace the faulty bushings one way or another so that I can get new brakes and an alignment.

8. Aug 4, 2019 at 10:26 PM
    Running Man

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Mission Tx
    Vehicle:
    IT IS NOT A 30 MINUTE JOB

i had a very long and detailed post that got erased...
    fml

i did energy suspension on all 4 control arms id do it again itll get more direct so if your suspentions firm itll get harsher if its nice and soft you know not 5100s and free springs from a 2nd gen that you figured out fit a 1st gen and lift it some it should be a marvelous result

ps dont get 5100s

if you dont have time now dont worry about if theres still rubber there it isnt hurting anything

i think es is the better way to go because the last time i pressed something it was a royal pita

plus if in the future they go at least theres no hastle just lube a new bushing and slide it in

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  9. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:03 AM
    Area51Runner

Area51Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    SAN FRANCISCO BAY
    Vehicle:
    '02 040 TRD DC 3.4 Runner
    OME 881|Dakars w/AAL|Nitros|SPC UCAs|255/85s on 3rd Gen 4Runner 5 Star Wheels | ARB Bull Bar Bumper|Cheap eBay Snorkel ARB knockoff|Leer 100r Cap with a modded Yakima Loadwarrior basket|Diff Breather Extension|
    Sounds like he just wants to make 400 bones. For one, there is no grease to "leak" out of your LCA bushings (or uppers for that matter). I have 162k on my 2002 and still am running the stock LCA bushings (last component of the front suspension that hasn't been changed lol). I would call the shop up and ask them exactly what was leaking that needed to be replaced... perhaps the tech noted your Lower Ball Joints were leaking (in which case, deal with it and don't wait). Maybe they were referring to your CVs? I'd start there - call them and confirm. If they DO tell you the LCA bushings are leaking and need to be replaced, hang up and never go back there again.

Digiratus likes this.
  10. Aug 5, 2019 at 12:32 AM
    Running Man

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Mission Tx
    Vehicle:
    perhaps op misinterprited the mechanic saying an oil leak saturated the rubber breaking it down

11. Aug 5, 2019 at 8:47 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 v6 Auto Trans With Lots of Mods King Extended Travel COs Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Alcan Custom 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren bumps Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 285/75r16 Cooper STT Pros Limited Edition Relentless Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch 3" LED Pods w/Amber covers in the Bumper 22" Single Row LED Bar on the Bumper Mini D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4500K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnaflow 18" Muffler 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    LCAs are not a 30 minute per side job. You have to take a lot of front end components off just to get to them.

Then there is the issue of what you find when you do get them out. Are your cam bolts frozen? A telltale for that would be the alignment shop telling you they couldn't get the alignemnt right because they couldn't move the cam bolt adjusters properly.

Area51Runner and Running Man like this.
  12. Aug 5, 2019 at 8:51 PM
    Running Man

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Mission Tx
    Vehicle:
    hes from socal... thats not a problem

13. Aug 5, 2019 at 9:37 PM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    lca's = not some damn 30 minute job.

AKsavanaman and Running Man like this.
  14. Aug 5, 2019 at 9:43 PM
    Wulf

Wulf head like a hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Saudi Aurora
    Vehicle:
    amocaT 69
    Trail damage
    *300 minute per side

Running Man likes this.
  15. Aug 5, 2019 at 10:45 PM
    Lord Kanti

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure he said bushings. I'll call them and see if there are any notes on the account. It makes me wonder if I should be doing my own brakes as well. :facepalm:Is there a reason he would be unable to do the brake job with bad bushings? I assume they needed to be replaced so an alignment would hold. If I were more organized I could pull out my alignment results from a few months ago. The alignment shop didn't seem to think it was all that bad, but I'm pretty sure my tires would be a lot happier as from what I can tell the inside tread is getting eaten.

I think my truck has about a quarter million miles on it with what I am assuming are the original bushings. I'll double check the next time I hop in.

Running Man likes this.
  16. Aug 5, 2019 at 11:33 PM
    Area51Runner

Member:
    SAN FRANCISCO BAY
    Vehicle:
    OME 881|Dakars w/AAL|Nitros|SPC UCAs|255/85s on 3rd Gen 4Runner 5 Star Wheels | ARB Bull Bar Bumper|Cheap eBay Snorkel ARB knockoff|Leer 100r Cap with a modded Yakima Loadwarrior basket|Diff Breather Extension|
    Any good alignment shop is going to do a visual inspection of your suspension components. If they can get that alignment within spec, then those LCA bushings and cams are fine. Alignment tech would tell you if those bushings were worn and needed to be replaced.

As for not being able to do a brake service/replace pads/rotors because of worn LCA bushings - thats a new one on me... :facepalm:Sorry, don't think so. If they stick with the bushings needing to be replaced then look for another brake shop. Personally, I think they're just trying to suck some funds from you. Could be wrong though so definitely check and confirm what they recommended.

Sounds like you have some work that needs to be done. If I were you, I'd consider what I could do given any time constraints, availability of tools/place to work. If you can do it, then give it a shot. There is enough info here on TW and youtube to pair with the FSM to get the job done. Plus side to doing it yourself - you KNOW its done right, you control the parts being used and you'll feel good about it after the fact.

17. Aug 5, 2019 at 11:50 PM
    Lord Kanti

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I think I'll look for another brake shop. I'll look for a shop and ask if they will report any odd findings while doing the job. I've been putting off brakes and alignment since I was told that my bushings were fucked. The truck drives well enough, but maybe I'm just used to it :shrug:

18. Aug 5, 2019 at 11:58 PM
    Area51Runner

Member:
    SAN FRANCISCO BAY
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't even ask them to look - just find a shop and have the brakes done. Alignment as well. You should pop into the SoCal section and see if anyone can recommend a decent shop. https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/southern-california.43/

:cheers:

19. Aug 6, 2019 at 12:28 AM
    Lord Kanti

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
  20. Aug 6, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    AKsavanaman

AKsavanaman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lower 48 :( U.P MI
    Vehicle:
    01' Xtra Cab TRD, Kings, JBAs, Dakars and 295's on F5
    Kings, JBA's, Dakars, Prinsu Rack, ARB, Trail gear sliders... and rust
    DEFINITELY not when you're cam bolts are rusted in place... then you spend 30 min just looking for the right tool to cut them out.:angrygirl:

If I hadn't butchered my driver side LCA while trying to remove the OEM bushing I would say it woulda taken me about 2hrs per side...and that's IF nothing else broke while I was trying to unbolt it! I used the Whiteline bushings and so far so good. I feel like it's a wash between those and the energy one, because you still have to go through the trouble of removing the original bushing.

Digiratus likes this.
To Top