1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

leaf blower

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bobtackett, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Aug 8, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    bobtackett

bobtackett [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    chicago heights,illinois
    Vehicle:
    4x4 trd offroad package
    3inch suspension,side steps,westin brush guard,carbonfiber hood w/scoop
    i thought i'd be slick and instead of running my 150 foot ext.cord to the front yard to finish my yard work like i always have to do i'd just pull my truck down the driveway and plug into my ac adapter in the new tacoma.bower ran at about half speed and then shut off.i'm hoping this meant iwas going over what the truck could put out electrically.would you be able to run say a circular saw off that outlet?not real good w/electical stuff, never wanted to be.what are some of the kind off things i can use that power source for?

2. Aug 8, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I don't have a power outlet in my Taco but you will have to check the out put rating of the inverter, outlet, and the rating of the tool. If the tool is more then the outlet forget a boud it!

3. Aug 8, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    I think it is around 400 watts. It is enough to power a laptop and a drop light. Anything with a motor will draw alot of power. I know someone will jump on here that knows alot more then I do.

4. Aug 8, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    bobtackett

Member:
    chicago heights,illinois
    Vehicle:
    4x4 trd offroad package
    thanx i appreciate it and i did have the truck running at an idle.

5. Aug 8, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    A leaf blower pulls too much amperage to be running off your truck's inverter. The blower probably pulls about 12 amps, whereas inverters are only designed to provide anywhere from 1-8 amps. If it hadn't of shut off, the inverter, and its supply wires, would've overheated. You also would've drained your battery pretty quickly. ;)

6. Aug 8, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    monrad

monrad Coprolite

Member:
    B'wood, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC short box TRD Sport, TM
    Avid light bar+RBG, Lightforce 140s, fog mod, FSM badges, Bobcatoshi grille + Stampede, JDM DRLs, TRD cat-back, rear spring TSB, AccessLE
    watts/volts = amps

400/115 = 3.48. That's the max continuous current supplied by the inverter. Corded leaf blowers draw between 7 and 12 amps.

7. Aug 8, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    X2. I have an inverter that plugs into the cig lighter and I have no problem with the laptop, ipod etc. but I never tried power tools.

8. Aug 8, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    bobtackett

Member:
    chicago heights,illinois
    Vehicle:
    4x4 trd offroad package
  9. Aug 8, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    a dremal hand tool is ok. I've used those plenty of times. You can also install a larger inverter under a seat, and run wires from your battery.

10. Aug 8, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    won't run a circular saw.

Products Discussed in

To Top