1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

leaf spring build/rebuild

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by montanabay, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jun 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM
    montanabay

montanabay [OP] Active Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4WD AUTO
    Hi All,

My 1996 2.7 4WD rear leafs are pretty shot, they sit about parallel with the ground. Last year I added a helper spring, worked okay, but I think they have been straightened out.

No real budget to get any of the common after-market leaf packs, might do the ProComps since they are only $100 each http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/Leaf-Spring.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=399&t_pt=4113&t_pl=1831&t_pn=EXP33211

Still don't want to put any more money into right now, was thinking about going down to Pick-N-Pull to look for springs in good shape.

Anything I should look for while looking at junk yard springs? Obvisouly other Tacomas, 4runners, but what about T100? Another other trucks/van leaf springs that can be easily made to fit the Tacoma?

Thanks!

Josh

2. Jun 21, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    If you're checking pick-n-pull yards....then I'd look for similar 'era' tacoma with similar engine/configuration first.

Ideally, researching online and finding out what other vehicles springs will work is another good idea.

You may want/need to measure the leaf springs to compare the compatiblity to other vehicles. http://www.eatonsprings.com/measuring.htm

Ultimately, compare prices of used versus new/aftermarket.

3. Jun 22, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    montanabay

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4WD AUTO
    yeah, thats the game plan

there is a bit a flexibility in leaf springs since adjustments can be made to the shackles to get a better fit right?

haha, wonder if some old F150 springs would fit on there, even if they were a little shot, still going to be better!

4. Jun 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    montanabay

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4WD AUTO
    there doesn't seem to be ANY tacoma on any of the lots out here, lots of Toyota Trucks and a few 4Runners.

I'll bring a tape measure to compare sizes, game plan is to see if I can swap out a few leafs
    from the the smaller Toy Trucks to add to my current setup...could be a fun little project, any advice? I'll post pics of what I find at the yard to get people brain storming.

Thanks!

Josh

To Top