1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaf spring selection help

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Voodoo Rufus, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Apr 26, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    Voodoo Rufus

Voodoo Rufus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport Indigo Ink DCSB 4WD
    Magnuson S/C, Relentless armor, Icon/Dakar suspension, Konig CountersteerX 17", KO2's, Hellwig rear swaybar, BudBuilt Trac Bar, Level 10 VBU, Weathertech floorliners, Cravenspeed antenna, Redline elite hood struts, RollnLock, Satoshi, CBI sliders
    My springs are in reverse arch with 240 pounds of sand in the back, with about 2" of travel before the bumps hit the frame. They pretty much sit on the overload leaves, so I think it's time to start saving for a replacement set. It looks like leaf springs are fairly hard to come by on the classifieds here, and I don't really want to stick with OEM springs because they really don't ride all that well in combination with the TRD shocks.

My load carrying is pretty much restricted to light stuff, but I do leave the sand in the bed for 6 months of the year. Future load carrying would be a sailplane trailer with less than a 200 pound tongue weight. I planned to leave half of the sand in the bed for summer because the ride gets a little skittish over rough pavement when empty. I am not going for an AAL to help support the suspension. I was looking at the Alcan set on Wheeler's site because I do not want much lift at all and it lists 1.75-2" for that pack. I would like something that would be competent for dirt county roads which can have washboard and some potholes. I've read that the Deaver pack is a bit too soft for heavier loads, and I want to keep the capability of hauling my street bike (Ninja 250) in the back if need be.

Would the All Pro 3" pack be worth considering? I plan on adding a retractable tonneau to the rear, and considering I already have a double cab short bed truck I was thinking I may not get the full 3" out of that pack, which makes me feel better about drive-line issues (NOT desired).

If I could find a cheap set of the TSB springs I'd consider those too, but they seem hard to find, too.

I'm pretty sure my rear shocks are blown because the damping has gone to poo. I think I'm going to save my money for a while for a full set of Icons to go with the new rear springs. Not certain on that front but there's time to think about that.

2. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    Air bags

3. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    x2 that sounds good

Products Discussed in

To Top