1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaf Springs twisting?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DA TACO, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Sep 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    DA TACO

DA TACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Southern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma DLX 4x4
    JBA Exhaust System Moog Strut Assemblies Steering Rack Bushings replacement Deck plate Mod Red Line Hood Struts
    Hello,

I have a 95 Taco 4x4 reg cab w/2.7 5speed that I have been working on, frame was worth saving from scrap so been restoring. When it cools off I am pulling the bed, sand blasting the frame and coating with chassis saver along with adding some new iron in misc spots. It passed the ball peen hammer test, thankfully the PO's had it undercoated but needs attention asap. I am sure I will be adding fuel and brake lines too as they look corroded.

Anyway, It had the broken leaf with both bent backwards on the originals, that were fun removing! I installed stock leafs, found 1 on ebay and another from JC Whitney with new stock shackles from Napa. I didnt have them on for 2 weeks and noticed that the leaf on drivers side (same side that had the broken) was kind of twisting, bottom leaf pushing out and broke the clamp. Any ideas what could be causing this? Bent frame? It has the 'Taco Lean' where the drivers side sits 1" lower than the pass. The shock mounts and spring hangar connections are solid, nothing appears bent by visual inspection. Now I cant remember which leaf was from JC, its been a couple months since the install, probably should have called JC and got a replacement but then have to do this fun all over again! 1st thought I would check here and see if anyone has a diagnosis or recommendation for repair

Can get more pics later, I didnt document the job with pics so I do not have any other before pics. Thanks

IMG_9009.jpg
    IMG_9010.jpg
    IMG_9273.jpg
    IMG_9274.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Probably just shitty quality springs. It looks like the "new" one broke already. I'd contact JC whitney and tell them...

3. Sep 4, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    DA TACO

DA TACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Southern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma DLX 4x4
    JBA Exhaust System Moog Strut Assemblies Steering Rack Bushings replacement Deck plate Mod Red Line Hood Struts
  4. Jan 13, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    DA TACO

DA TACO [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Southern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma DLX 4x4
    JC replaced this and ended up covering the shipping, I installed the new one in August and has held up fine. Good thing I was able to do all the work myself, I cant imagine how much this could have cost me if I had paid a auto repair shop to remove and install the 1st one, then remove it again and install the replacement. I asked them about the labor it would cost me and they said there was nothing they could do about it. Hell, I had to talk them into covering the shipping, they wanted me to pay ship to return a big heavy leaf!

Truck is for sale now, ran out of funding for it. Check classifieds for info

Products Discussed in

To Top