1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaking Bed with Topper, Where to Caulk?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Koplinsky, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Jul 23, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    Koplinsky

Koplinsky [OP] Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2015 Red Taco
    Hello everyone.

I have read the leaking in the front corners is not the cap/topper but the design of the bed itself.

If true, where then should I apply the sealant to stop the water from coming in?

I know I could go spray it with a hose or sit in my bed as a big rain comes in to locate the problem area. Just wondering if any of you are familiar with this and can help me out.

It's a 2015 short bed.

Thanks

2. Jul 23, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    Could be the front corners.

Could be the windows in the shell.

Could be the back corners.

Could be damage to the seal at some point where the shell sits on the bed rails.

Best bet to fix it is to find out where the leak is and go from there.

3. Jul 23, 2021 at 1:17 PM
    BlkDakDave

BlkDakDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    CC TX
    Vehicle:
    07 AC PreRunner TRD/Off Road
    Check the picture and the area with the red circle.
    Tacoma front and side rails (1).jpg
    The front bed rail is slightly lower than the side bed rails most likely this is where the leak is occuring.

The front of my Leer cap is designed for that difference.
    capcloseup.jpg

They also make a front rail seal if your cap is not designed for that difference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rail...r-Truck-Cap-Camper-Shell-Topper-/321360576249

The last time I put my cap back on I bought a good quality seal for the side rails and the front rail seal. While prepping the cap for the seals I noticed the front rail was lower than the side rails so I did not need or use the front rail seal. BTW, I put the new seal on as one piece on the cap and not the truck.

I've had caps on all my trucks since my 1976 Chevy LUV, so I know how frustrating a leaking cap can be.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jul 23, 2021 at 1:24 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Yes, the transition where the sheet metal meets the composite bed is a place that will leak. When my topper was put on, the dealer caulked that area with a bead of clear silicone, and then put a small amount of extra on top that would compress and fill the remaining gaps when the topper was installed. They also used two layers of foam tape across the entire front of the bed as well. Mine has never been water tight, but the water I do get from that area is minimal.

wi_taco likes this.
  5. Jul 23, 2021 at 1:34 PM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...
    I agree with the red circle above... I had a 2006 with a Leer XL100 and now a 2014 with Leer XR100 canopy. I replaced both seals (Camper Tape) after a few years of installation.

No spray or caulk... I just put two layers across the front of the bed making certain I overlapped in that red circled area. I live in Oregon where it rains in the fall/winter/spring. I can attest to only seeing a drop or two on the interior over the years with my method.

Varak, Koplinsky[OP] and wi_taco like this.
  6. Jul 23, 2021 at 1:37 PM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    When I had my Leer cap, my dealer used butyl putty in those corners. Never leaked.

Koplinsky[OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 23, 2021 at 1:39 PM
    taco912

taco912 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North of the Bridge
    Vehicle:
    2006 AC 4.0 AT 4x4 SR5 TRD OR
    Having had at least 8 trucks with camper shells, all made to not leak. My Tacoma is the only truck I can't get leak free. Having done everything mentioned here on TW my shell still leaks at the front, not bad, but any water is a leak. I refuse to set my shell in a bed of double beaded silicone caulk.

wisco kid and Koplinsky[OP] like this.
  8. Jul 23, 2021 at 2:14 PM
    Koplinsky

Koplinsky [OP] Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2015 Red Taco
    It is the front corners. I said that it was the way Toyota designed the bed, not the cap.

9. Jul 23, 2021 at 2:18 PM
    Koplinsky

Koplinsky [OP] Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2015 Red Taco
    Thank you all for the responses it is very informative.

10. Jul 23, 2021 at 8:46 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    That closely mirrors my own experience. And it is the bed design, not a problem with the cap. Mine is pretty close. In a hard rain I get just a little leakage, but fortunately it has never been enough to cause a problem. With the corrugated floor in the bed any bit of water stays in the channels and any cargo sits in the top of the ridges and has never gotten wet.

11. Jul 23, 2021 at 8:51 PM
    Varak

Varak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug taco DCSB
    Wheels, tires, intermittent wipers, better rearview mirror...
    On my old Mighty Max, I stuck a half a pool noodle against the back of the truck cab before I put the shell on. The noodle rested on the top edge of the window. Then after the camper shell was installed, that half a noodle would cut down the wind noise and reduce the amount of rain that passes between the cab and the shell.

Your mileage may vary. But that is what worked for me in the past.

TacoZmtn and BlkDakDave like this.
  12. Jul 24, 2021 at 6:35 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Sorry if I was not clear. The silicone caulk went between the bed and the foam tape.

13. Jul 24, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    GorgeRunner

GorgeRunner Out There

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner
    My front corners leaked so I filled the gaps with silicone seal. The shell window latch frame also leaked. The small screws had worked themselves loose. Pumped some silicone seal in and tightened the screws and the frame.

Products Discussed in

To Top