1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Learn me about soft tonneau's

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Zac808, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Oct 27, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 [OP] Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    I'm looking to take the plunge on a soft tonneau for my 08 DC SB. I have just a few questions.

1. How do they handle the desert heat and sun?

2. What kind of regular maintenance is involved?

3. Can it be driven through a car wash?

4. What brand and where to buy? I'm looking for something with crossbars that will be able to handle a few inches of snow. Also, be able to roll up to fit my quad in the bed.

Thanks TW,

Zac

2. Oct 27, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    1. Can't tell you about the desert but it gets pretty hot here in SC and they stretch some in the heat so you want one you can adjust.

2. Maintenance, just wash it. I also use 303 Aerospace Protectant on mine.

3. Yes, it can go through a car wash (I have).

4. Any of the Access brand covers. I have the Literider. Contact truckalterations.com. The Truxedo tonneaus are also good.

3. Oct 27, 2009 at 9:50 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    I have the Extang and have had it through two summers with an average temp of about 117 during the summer. I use the extang spray on it about once a month and it has held up well. It has three cross bars and the rear detaches to open up the bed so it will fully function. If you get the snap model you can flip the snaps in the summer to pull it tighter then back in the winter. I got mine from http://www.truckaddons.com at a great price with the protect-ant and tailgate seal for free.

4. Oct 27, 2009 at 11:12 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I have an Advantage Torza top. It's not a roll up, but a tri-fold.

I've had atleast 2 other rollup covers (w/snaps) and I'm much rather have the tri-fold. You don't ever have to worry about needing to attach the vinyl to the frame (especially in cold weather). The vinyl on the tri-fold is part of the frame - you bend the frame. You can remove the entire cover anytime for hauling or whatever.

Because its vinyl, it gets softer & expands (so to speak) in the heat. It gets hard & contracts in the cold.

I keep mine clean and put vinyl protectant (whatever is laying around the house, usually Armorall).

Mine has multiple bows. It'll handle many inches of snow - although, I ALWAYS clean the snow off because its just dangerous for other drivers behind me. The snow always flies off.... I wouldn't necessarily let the snow on it....cuz it adds weight as it melts. It's not a question of whether it can hande it, but how to keep it maintained so it'll last longer.

I bought mine locally. Some picts in my gallery...
    http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=16&page=1
    http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=16&page=2

5. Oct 27, 2009 at 11:45 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    They are awesome. I love mine. Simply wash it with the rest of the truck and wipe it down with armoral when your done. Gives it that jet black glossy shine and also keeps it front getting fried by the sun.

Products Discussed in

To Top