1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

leather or vinyl

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tntacoma, May 3, 2010.

1. May 3, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    tntacoma

tntacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    I have seen some custom seats on this web site, most are leather of some sort. My quesestion is leather or vinyl? I have seen some very small swatches of nice leather and some nice fake leather. The vinyl looks nice as well. They make some vinyls that look and feel real similar to leather but I have not seen any on seats, just the 2x2 swatch.
    Anybody have any type of after market/custom vinyl interiors?

2. May 3, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    I installed leather in mine myself. The rear seats come with only the inserts as leather UNLESS you order differently. The fronts are leather on the TOP side only, your head, ass and back touches it is leather............About 700 DIY
    ORDERED FROM AccessiorysRus and got shafted pretty good on delivery. I WOULD USE Someone else to order from.
    As far as the vinyl. Most can't tell difference. It is probably just as tuff. They both will crack over time. My rear vinyl looks better then the leather in the rear and front as well.
    That said, I would not use vinyl. I like the smell of new leather, I like the feel of just knowing it is leather..lol my 2cts. Goodluck

3. May 4, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    H82WRK

H82WRK Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rachael
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    DC SB 4X4 Sport SR5 Supa! White
    leather, sunroof, heated seats, HIDs, nerf bars
    I have leather in my truck, front and rear seats, looks and feels great. Downside would be having to treat the leather once or twice a year, if you call that a downside? Not really to me.

I did have vinyl (or leatherette if you are a BMW snob) in my previous Minis and I have to say it held up really well and did not require any special treatment.

It was a heavy vinyl that really looked nice, if I could have the choice I would almost choose that over leather due to price point and reliability.

Leather does have a tendency to wear or break in and I don't like the look of it once it does. I really only think that might be an issue if you weigh more....seems to wear faster.

Regardless with having dogs leather/vinyl is the way to go, it is so easy to clean.

4. May 4, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I have the standard katzkin leather seat kit in black in my double cab. The front seats are mostly real leather with some pleather parts (sides and back) which I don't mind at all. Although if you know how real leather feels you can tell which parts are fake vs real but its very close, I don't think the average person could tell the difference. My back seats are completely pleather and hold up well to the abuse of golden retrievers in the back. Easy clean up and looks great. I clean condition mine about once or twice a month with lexol leather cleaner followed up by lexol leather conditioner. I use it on the fake leather as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top