1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Leather" Seat base sides cracked badly

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by whttaco2whl, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Oct 20, 2017 at 12:37 PM
    whttaco2whl

whttaco2whl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    North of LA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma base model, 2Whl 5Lug
    None
    I'll tell the truth: This is on my Wife's Highlander. Same issue here possibly? The leather seat bottom cushion has sides that are not leather like the contact area. The sides are badly cracked to the point bits are falling off. Has anyone here found a source to replace the seat cover? I was hoping for a recommendation. image.jpg

2. Oct 20, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    black coffee

black coffee A is A.

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC 4x4 SR5 V6
    Duct tape?

El Duderino likes this.
  3. Oct 20, 2017 at 1:06 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Leather seats are no bueno from my experience. They either tear, get blue stains on the edge near the door from ongoing in and out of the vehicle while wearing jeans, or get too hot and sticky down here in Texas.

cliffyk likes this.
  4. Oct 20, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    The problem isn't in the seat cover (vinyl vs leather) it's in the care of the seat cover. Leather and vinyls need to be conditioned to maintain plushness or they dry out and crack. I would condition the rest of the leather so you don't have further cracking.

They make vinyl repair kits where you can mix up a paste you apply to the area and then use an iron to melt it down and cure it together. I used a kit like that to repair some vinyl on my old Ford. Worked OK but was not a perfect fix (its hard to color match old vinyl). It worked though.

I would go to the dealer as a starting point. If it's too expensive through them at least you could grab a part number.

5. Oct 20, 2017 at 7:35 PM
    whttaco2whl

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    North of LA
    Vehicle:
    None
    yep,........ Duck tape, Quawk!

6. Oct 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM
    RickTRDSport

RickTRDSport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Red DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
  7. Oct 21, 2017 at 4:21 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Factory leather is not an option on tacos - they are all aftermarket add ons. That said, replacing the drivers side seat bottom with a new piece is not a difficult job.

Sugar Silva likes this.
  8. Oct 22, 2017 at 5:50 AM
    cliffyk

cliffyk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 TRD Sport 145k miles
    For over 20 years just about all OEM leather seats are qualified in the fine print as "leather seating surfaces only"--i.e. they use some sort of faux leather for the sides, backs, etc. that has different wear characteristics and ends up either outlasting the shit quality leather some makers use, or failing before the higher quality leather others use.

This, and that we keep our cars for a long time and many miles, is why I am not a big fan of leather seats. On average they seem to be good for 50 to 60k miles and 6 to 8 years--the driver's side outboard bolster(s) goes(go) first...

9. Oct 22, 2017 at 8:01 AM
    frtlinr

frtlinr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4X4 Blazing Blue Pearl Access Cab
    I've had similar wear in previous vehicle that I've owned. My local auto upholstery shop was able to get inserts and stitched them in.

10. Oct 22, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    whttaco2whl

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    North of LA
    Vehicle:
    None
    I'll check with Katzkin, might get lucky. Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top