1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Brake lights prevent Cruise Control from working?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by koco, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jun 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    koco

koco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Around $26,000 worth of unleaded in the fuel tank.
    Does anyone have LED brake lights and have problems with the cruise control?

Some vehicles have a cruise control circuit that looks for resistance in the brake lights before it can activate. The LED bulbs have lower resistance that might not be enough.

I was thinking about using LEDs in the 3rd brake light, but I still want the CC to work all the time.

2. Jun 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    Cruise cancel should be done by brake switch not the lights

3. Jun 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    koco

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    This does not involve a problem with cruise control cancel when braking. Many cars actually have a circuit in the cruise control module that needs resistance to activate the cruise control.

I want to see if anyone is having a CC problem after installing LED brake bulbs in the 3rd brake light or taillights.

4. Jun 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    If you dont want to believe me fine, but no where on a wiring diagram does it show a light. Simple circuit you push a buton cruise comes on, push a button, brakes or clutch it goes off.

5. Jun 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    F75gunslinger

F75gunslinger Ka like a wheel

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Rochester,NY
    Vehicle:
    SWB '10 Doublecab TRD Sport 4x4
    Cluster and Radio LED swap,Westin bull bar,2nd set of bed tie downs,URD SS,K&N filter,weathertechs
    I've got a 2010,so it came with the LEd tails. I added the LED 3rd brake light bulbs and have noticed no difference,everything works fine.

In my Eclipse I had before the Taco however,that was the case. I did the 3rd brake light in that with LEDs and the CC worked fine,but I was warned that if I used LEDs for the tail markers and brake lights I'd need to wire in a resistor.

6. Jun 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    Cruise control would work! :)

7. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    koco

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Is there a Cruise Control module on your wiring diagram; it has to have an electronic device to operate it.

If 1 bulb blew out, it would be different than replacing all of the bulbs with leds; there would still be resistance. Rarely if ever would all of your bulbs go bad at once.

The wiring diagrams usually don't map the internals of an ecu either. There is a difference between modular, board level, and component level electronics. Auto technicians usually don't go past the modular level. The boards and/or components are serviced elsewhere.

8. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    stocksport

stocksport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Blacked out emblems, Weathertech liners, LED interior, tag, and 3rd brake light, reverse light mod, rear TSB, rear diff. breather, added black factory running boards, OR tow hook, and rhino lined UWS low profile box.
    I replaced my bulbs w/ LED's. CC works fine.

9. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    Jesus Christ IT WILL WORK FINE! It's like I'm talking to a wall. Guess working for Toyota I have no fucking clue how these cars work. Would you like me to email an engineer tomorrow for them to respond with the same fucking answer I gave you in post 2? If that's not what you wanted to hear then there is no way it will work if your resistance drops. Not sure what your problem is you asked I answered.

10. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    koco

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    No need to be worked up about anything. If your input was that cc works with leds, that's fine.

I really wasn't responding to your post when I mentioned the cc module. Besides, your post is about cruise control cancel, and not about cc engagement and operation. If cc won't work, the cancel function is not at all important.

Here is a link to one of many articles about this type of issue. I realize it's a civic, not a tacoma, but it is a basis for my question.

All I was soliciting is input on Tacomas with LED taillights. I was gonna replace the 1157s in my 1st gen. with led bulbs, but I didn't want to just buy them and not have cruise control. I'm lazy and want cc to work. The brick on the gas pedal isn't very safe.

11. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Calm down man.

This IS an issue on many vehicles.
    Maybe or maybe not on the 2nd Gen Tacoma, but LED lights on many older vehicles caused problems with cruise and ABS. The concerns are 100% valid.

Products Discussed in

To Top