1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Diagnostic guess

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Cheesycook, Sep 13, 2009.

?

Prediction on battery:

Poll closed Sep 20, 2009.
  1. I think you will be needing a new battery.

20.0%
  2. I think the battery is fine and it is another issue.

80.0%
  3. You stupid kids with your LED's, Ipods and your crazy VD's!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sep 13, 2009 at 1:57 AM
    Cheesycook

Cheesycook [OP] Geek with a gun

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    I just put some directional 9 LED bulbs in my map lights because I am tired of how they shine in my eyes when I turn them on and wanted something more directional. (Is it just me or does it seem like it would make sense for these to come on with the dome light when the doors are opened?) I also replaced the dome and glove box with red LED's while I was at it. When the motor is running they shine bright but when the motor is off the have a dim flicker. They should be getting the same power from the battery so here is my question? When I check the battery later when I figure out where my multi meter is do you think my battery will show low voltage and needs replacing?

2. Sep 13, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    If you have never changed the battery in the '01 then yes, I think it is your problem. 8 years is a long time. Not too mention the Taco batteries are kinda lame. Do you have anything else in the truck besides LED's? Like fog lights, stereo amps, etc. All this stuff will drain the battery and after awhile it not hold its charge that well. Does your battery have cells in them that have water? Sometimes, the cells need water to help re-charge. (Very unsure of this so check b4 you pull anything off the bat). Also, if the bat is old and the alternator is old, you could be having an issue recharging it and it is getting drained little by little. What about the headlights? When you turn off the truck and turn on the headlights do the get dim?

3. Sep 13, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    it's not your battery. there is a thread around here somewhere, I can't remember why, but the LED lights do that in the first gen's. you'll have to do some searching, but it's def not your battery.

Products Discussed in

To Top