1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Dome Light Issue

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Icepick_trd, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Jan 3, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    Icepick_trd

Icepick_trd [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Prerunner
    Curious if anyone else has had a similar issue or has a solution. I've looked through forums only to not find the exact issue. I added an LED light in my dome light, it's a sylvania bulb, dont remember the number. Putting it in it flickered in dome or "on" position however with power on it worked fine in both positions. I added a 100 ohm 1 watt resistor as I heard this would solve the problem. I cut the leads of the resistor shorter and soldered to each end of the bulb. I reinstalled the bulb and now the bulb works fine in both on or door with the truck on however only works in on position with truck off, no light at all in door position.

EDIT: without key in ignition and light in door mode. When I push the map light button the dome light comes on. Map lights are also led with 100 ohm 1 watt resistors on each.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  2. Jan 5, 2019 at 4:41 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    You don't have the correct amount of resistance.

I used FOUR 100-ohm, 1 Watt resistors total and have no issues.

TWO on the LED used in the dome light.
    ONE on each of the LEDs used in the map lights.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  3. Jan 8, 2019 at 6:19 AM
    BigSam1991

BigSam1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    You ever figure this out? I'm having the same exact issue.

4. Jan 8, 2019 at 6:21 AM
    Icepick_trd

Icepick_trd [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Prerunner
    Yes, 1 100 ohm 1 watt resistor on dome light and each map light and then an extra resistor on the dome light and it should work correctly. CREDIT TO JasonLee for the fix

5. Jan 8, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
  6. Jan 8, 2019 at 6:26 AM
    frizzman

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    it's well known the 01-04 have issues with LED map/dome lights due to the "courtesy light" feature. '00 and earlier should be fine

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  7. Jan 8, 2019 at 6:27 AM
    BigSam1991

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Thanks man. If I don't have LED's in the map lights, do I just need to add the resistor(s) to the LED dome light? Probably a dumb question but I am by no means an electrician.

8. Jan 8, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    If you do the math, a 100 ohm THREE watt resistor is the best one to use. I only soldered one per light and I've have no issues since install 4 years ago.
    http://talonelectronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=9574

From another thread I posted in years ago:
    Lots of misinformation on here. You need to get resistors that match the output of the bulbs. 1 watt isn't going to cut it, that's why people end up having to solder two or more in place, and they still get extremely hot. If you get the proper resistor, you'll only need one. I used 3 watt resistors. These are matched properly and will not fail with extended usage.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  9. Jan 8, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    frizzman

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    @csjumper2003 makes LEDs with resistors. I'll give him a shout out for the ones I use :D

jrallan26 and jammer like this.
  10. Jan 8, 2019 at 8:31 AM
    BigSam1991

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    I just placed an order with him lol. Appreciate it man.

Are his the sylvania style LED's (look very similar to a regular bulb)? Or the Amazon style, with the open grid?

11. Jan 8, 2019 at 8:45 AM
    frizzman

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    they aren't the frosted Sylvania type. clear lenses with ~6k color. think I remember them being the grid type

BigSam1991[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jan 22, 2019 at 9:17 PM
    Faster_n_you98

Faster_n_you98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Arnold, MO
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco
    Bobbed, 4” of Lift, 35’s, Locked F&R, loaded with badassery
    You don’t need to solder in any resistors.. it’s a feature for the courtesy light feature that requires the resistance of an incandescent bulb to function properly.
    All you need to do I locate the wire in the a pillar on the driver’s side that supplies the power to it and provide it a constant 12v. 20 minute fix w/soldering junk.

13. Jan 23, 2019 at 12:25 AM
    Area51Runner

Area51Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    02 3.4 DC TRD PreRunner 4WD SWAP
    make it even easier... just order the CANBUS 31 bulbs and be done with it. Have them in my dome and both map lights. no flickering, no issues. fade on the dome works fine. didn't solder anything. just done.

https://smile.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-GX-3020-Chipsets/dp/B013TWUVMM

EDIT: these actually are quite bright. I have them rotated in the map lights so the LEDs are facing forward/up instead of down.

they are a little tight fit but will fit. dome light especially.

joe25rs and chrslefty like this.
  14. Mar 12, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    e.deCastro

e.deCastro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '01 S-Runner original owner
    Exterior TRD 5 Piece body kit Grillecraft grill DDM Tuning HID retrofit Custom etched Lexus HID Projectors Custom two-tone pin stripe by Jprints Chrome Rocker panels Wheels/ brakes 99 Lexus RX300 OEM wheels converted to 3 piece by ChamorroBoy86 Cadillac ATS Brembo 4 piston calipers Cadillac CTS-V Ceramic Brake pads Mitsubishi EVO IV 12.6” rotors provided by BR Autoworks modified by ChamorroBoy86 Subaru WRX STI Stoptech Stainless Steel brake lines Suspension Custom FBSS air suspension Accu-Rate manifold Dual 444c Viair compressors Accuair Chrome tank Custom Polished Hardlines Streetacos weld on c-notch Custom front shock mounts Custom airbag brackets Streetacos ball joint flip kit Engine TRD supercharger URD 2.2” Supercharger Pulley 312cc NA 2JZ Supra fuel injectors JBA Ti Ceramic Headers Spectre Carb Legal CAI LCE Pro Clutch LCE lightened flywheel 16” electric fan HPS silicone radiator hoses Yellow Top Optima battery Custom Battery tie down Universal oil catch can Denso 105 amp alternator AEM 320 LPH Fuel Pump Interior 02 Lexus SC430 trispoke woodgrain Steering wheel Japanese Rose Wood dash kit Authentic JDM Tsurikawa Nishijin Sakura Gold Black (heart version) Authentic JDM Suichuuka shift knob Authentic Junction Produce Fusa Authentic Junction Produce seat cushion Authentic Influenced VIP satin Pillow set Broadway mirror Custom Aloha print door jamb decals from BigHeadzdesigns LCE Short shift kit Electronics Soundstream VRCP-65 Double Din Multimedia entertainment center Alpine MRV-F545 4-channel amplifier Alpine MRD-M1005 monoblock amplifier NVX VCW124 12” Subwoofer MB Quart DSH216 6.5” 2-way component speakers Black Vue 650S Front and Rear Dash Camera AEM boost gauge AEM Uego wideband O2 controller URD Mass Air Flow Fuel and Timing calibrator
    I bought these exact ones from your link and they still didn't work. with all three LEDs it only turns on with the key in ACC. so I used a regular bulb in the dome light and LEDs in the map lights. when i unlock the doors, all three come on and lock all three turn off. it's kind of a hack but would like to have all three LEDs. anyone have a better buld to try?

15. Mar 12, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    Area51Runner

Area51Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    02 3.4 DC TRD PreRunner 4WD SWAP
    Sucks, sorry. Only thing I can think of is it could be an 01 to 02 issue, an S Runner issue (?) . Works fine for me. :notsure:

16. Mar 12, 2019 at 8:16 AM
    frizzman

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    I'll refer to my own post here. There needs to be resistance of a certain amount in order for the LEDs to properly light up. Having the one incandescent gives it enough, hence why it works. All three LED don't even come close to one incandescent.

Not sure about the CANBUS type, never used them. I know certain vehicles require them to not trip a CEL/MIL but otherwise they seem to be no different?

@e.deCastro you can always do what @ThunderOne mentioned and solder the resistors in. I'd rather not screw it up and I bought mine from @csjumper2003 and have no complaints. :)

ThunderOne likes this.
  17. Mar 13, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    e.deCastro

e.deCastro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '01 S-Runner original owner
    Exterior TRD 5 Piece body kit Grillecraft grill DDM Tuning HID retrofit Custom etched Lexus HID Projectors Custom two-tone pin stripe by Jprints Chrome Rocker panels Wheels/ brakes 99 Lexus RX300 OEM wheels converted to 3 piece by ChamorroBoy86 Cadillac ATS Brembo 4 piston calipers Cadillac CTS-V Ceramic Brake pads Mitsubishi EVO IV 12.6” rotors provided by BR Autoworks modified by ChamorroBoy86 Subaru WRX STI Stoptech Stainless Steel brake lines Suspension Custom FBSS air suspension Accu-Rate manifold Dual 444c Viair compressors Accuair Chrome tank Custom Polished Hardlines Streetacos weld on c-notch Custom front shock mounts Custom airbag brackets Streetacos ball joint flip kit Engine TRD supercharger URD 2.2” Supercharger Pulley 312cc NA 2JZ Supra fuel injectors JBA Ti Ceramic Headers Spectre Carb Legal CAI LCE Pro Clutch LCE lightened flywheel 16” electric fan HPS silicone radiator hoses Yellow Top Optima battery Custom Battery tie down Universal oil catch can Denso 105 amp alternator AEM 320 LPH Fuel Pump Interior 02 Lexus SC430 trispoke woodgrain Steering wheel Japanese Rose Wood dash kit Authentic JDM Tsurikawa Nishijin Sakura Gold Black (heart version) Authentic JDM Suichuuka shift knob Authentic Junction Produce Fusa Authentic Junction Produce seat cushion Authentic Influenced VIP satin Pillow set Broadway mirror Custom Aloha print door jamb decals from BigHeadzdesigns LCE Short shift kit Electronics Soundstream VRCP-65 Double Din Multimedia entertainment center Alpine MRV-F545 4-channel amplifier Alpine MRD-M1005 monoblock amplifier NVX VCW124 12” Subwoofer MB Quart DSH216 6.5” 2-way component speakers Black Vue 650S Front and Rear Dash Camera AEM boost gauge AEM Uego wideband O2 controller URD Mass Air Flow Fuel and Timing calibrator
    I have a set of load resistors I can solder in. thanks for tips guys.

18. Nov 21, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    frenchee

frenchee Favorite Member

Member:
    Oceanside CA Area
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD Double Cab 4x4
    Converted to 4WD DD VW MK6 TDI
    Kinda reviving an old thread but...
    I saw this guys video, bought the same LED's and my dome light doesn't work on the DOOR function.
    I swapped an OEM bulb in, and it works, so I don't think it's the door sensors nor the dome mechanism.

It only works on the door function if the map lights are on. So weird. It seems like some peoples work and some dont.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gws0qHUlmE4

19. Nov 21, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    CrustyTaco

CrustyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    04 Ext Cab V6 5MT 4X4 180k
    881/5100/Dakars 4R wheels / TBU / New frame
    You'll probably need to solder a resistor on to get it to work. I used a 100 ohm 3 watt resistor as mentioned earlier in this thread.

frenchee[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Nov 21, 2019 at 3:45 PM
    RysiuM

RysiuM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Was Golden State, now Poland EU
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4 LX Ext Cab, I4 2.7, MT, 335K miles
    DD Deck+backup camera, LED DRL, All LED except H4 Hella
    The problem is in Body ECU:

upload_2019-11-21_15-39-22.jpg

The contact marked with the arrow is supposed to provide power to all bulbs and cut it off under some circumstances (timing) to save the battery from being discharged. It also adds nice dimming effect. But for some models that ECU does not provide the power at all unless it sees connectivity to the ground. It could be that the voltage drop on the LED is to high for the ECU sensing the load or the current not high enough. Either way it is a f-up on Toyota engineering department - it appears that the "electronic department" in Toyota was always the week spot. In that area Toyota is always few years behind all competitors.

To Top