1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Hi Beams

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by WoadWunner, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Sep 27, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    Taco_mike73

Taco_mike73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    I looked at your tests on the Hikari ultra vs the standard low beams. Yeah they are an improvement.
    However don't know if I want to use the H9 halogens as low beams. The idea of that much current in an adapter made up by someone in my new truck I'm not sure about and the life in low beams for H9 isn't going to be a lot better than silver stars even if they are cheaper. Time swapping out Burnt bulbs is no fun.

I see there is a 10% off coupon on Amazon for the Hikari ultra making them $85 with tax. I decided to go try them. I can always return them if I don't like, which I rarely Do.

Given the brightness of the stock h9 and life they are probably best kept as high beam which I plan to do.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Peace1 and AMC_Unlimited like this.
  2. Sep 27, 2020 at 10:03 AM
    WoadWunner

WoadWunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    17 Accesscab TRD Offroad Inferno
    Tonneau Cover, Devils Horns on the way, Blackened Grill, LED Low beams and Fogs, weathertecs
    Thanks Guys for all the info

crashnburn80 likes this.
  3. Sep 27, 2020 at 10:22 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Id just mod the bulb base rather than use an adapter for the H9 in the low beam. The current level is in an acceptable range for the circuit. Philips H9s are rated at 400 hours.

upload_2020-9-27_10-16-19.jpg

For my use, pre-Covid, that is 2 years. I run performance bulbs that are 200 hours and replace them annually. Some people report Hikari failures around the 2 year mark as well. Replacement LEDs are usually driven harder to produce the light output needed for a headlight application, so they often do not last as long as many typically think an LED would.

The above is all just FYI, or for other readers. I’m sure you’ll like the Hikaris.

4. Sep 27, 2020 at 10:58 AM
    Taco_mike73

Taco_mike73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    Interesting I seen somewhere else online but I didn't bookmark it that the H9 halogens were an expected 250 hour life. As much as I drive at night the Hikari will probably last longer than 2years. I suspect the fan and cooling system is what will wear out and kill the LED headlights.

I would love to have HID. Those that I tried in a previous vehicle were the brightest I've had ever. Sadly the ballists on one side failed. It would cut out 5 or 10 minutes in to a drive. The warranty wasn't worth writing on Toilet paper as I found out. They were 2x what the hikai ultras go for so I felt I got burnt on those and never tried HID again.

Peace1 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top