1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Led Light Bar mounted in lower bumper

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by sportzman0, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Sep 22, 2015 at 6:30 AM
    Josh828

Josh828 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Avery NC
    Vehicle:
    14 White TRD Off road, Mid travel mountain truck
    FOX 2.5 extended travel, Fox 2.0 rears, LR UCA, XSPX rims, some light bars, and switches
    Anywhere you would use a regular pod, Maybe reverse lights in flush mount version, also been debating on putting like 3 or 4 pods up under the truck pointing out for "side lights"

Edit-- windsheild lights for sure, I think these just look a lot cooler then normal pods

2. Sep 22, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    Yeah, good idea, they're proportioning near the windshield would bother me though.

Lol just like rigid. Insanely overpriced

3. Sep 24, 2015 at 7:05 AM
    colbyrainey

colbyrainey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    KC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Dbl TRD Sport
    TSB Leafs, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", K&N Filter, Kenwood DNX 6180, BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror Bracket, Extra D-Rings, Gloss Black Stock Wheels, Grillcraft Grille
    Well, here goes nothing!

Ordered the following:

Light Bar
    Mini Fuse Taps
    Push Button Switch
    Relay Kit

I plan on doing like others have done and using a piece of angle iron to span the crash cans. Any words of advice? I'll post some photos after it's done next week.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Sep 24, 2015 at 7:58 AM
    MTopp

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    Nice! Yeah the 36" will mount beyond the cans, so you'll need metal to go beyond that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Oct 7, 2015 at 7:32 AM
    Krainville

Krainville New Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4X4 Stormtrooper
    This is my 2009 TRD.
    Although its my baby and I love it, it has been neglected thusfar when it comes to Mods. The only thing I had done was to add heated seats and put a tri-fold tonneau on it.
    My brother recently bought a new Tacoma and had a Toytech lift installed, and he gave me his stock TRD suspension to put on my older truck... made a huge difference.

Just installed my 30" light bar last night.... wow... so happy with it! It is a knock-off from Amazon. I used the Rigid bumper mounts and it fits perfectly!
    Waiting for my custom switch to come from China.. lol, but here's some pics so far...
    Next steps are to Satoshi the grille and seriously thinking of doing the hood scoop LED.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Jaden and MTopp like this.
  6. Oct 7, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    Looks good so far man! Which lightbar from Amazon did you get? How difficult was wiring?!

Krainville[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2015 at 7:52 AM
    MTopp

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    Wiring is easy imho

Krainville likes this.
  8. Oct 7, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    Krainville

Krainville New Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4X4 Stormtrooper
    I got this one... (below) fits perfectly. As for wiring... I just bought a harness from a local shop.... literally took less than a half an hour!

9. Oct 7, 2015 at 8:19 AM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    Nice. I am also interested in if you cut the ribs on the lower part and if it would work with the 2012-2015 models... Also, how did you mount the on/off switch inside the cab??

10. Oct 7, 2015 at 8:32 AM
    Krainville

Krainville New Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4X4 Stormtrooper
    Yes... I cut them out. if you go with a 31.5" light bar you can leave about an inch of the center fin on either side of the bar... I didn't do this but wish I had. The dual row light fits in snug so I don't think anything will flex or vibrate....

The opening on the 2012-15 model is not as high, so most guys seem to use a single row LED... but the Rigid Mounts still work.

As for the switch, I went through the rubber grommet in the firewall and ordered a push-button one that matches the factory fog light switch. Waiting for it to arrive and will post pics!

Rippin101[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Oct 7, 2015 at 8:32 AM
    Jaden

Jaden Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaden
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sport
    265/70/17 General Grabber AT2 on stock rims, "Raptor" Light mod, OEM bed mat, Pop'n'lock power tailgate lock, LED maglight in stock behind the seat holder, OEM leather, OEM touchscreen, Tri fold hard cover. NFAB offroad Bar, CBI ditch light brackets. 21.1 Nortech LED center bar, two Nortec flood LED dully's, Ultraguage. Toytech 3" coil over lift with AAL and dif drop.
    That looks friggin sweet. :headbang:

Hood scoop LED eh? what one? We should both do it.. MOAR LIGHTS.. I MUST HAVE MOAR!!!

Krainville[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 10, 2015 at 2:31 PM
    09 Redneck

09 Redneck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga
  13. Oct 15, 2015 at 2:33 PM
    TheWringer

TheWringer Active Member

Member:
    West Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off-Road Access
    Bilstein 5100s, OME 885, LR UCAs, BFG KO2, AO Rims, Auto-dimming infinity edge mirror w/ compass and HomeLink, 30" Bi-Color LED light bar in lower valence, Raptor grille mod, Blacked out emblems, Fog light anytime mod, Rear Diff breather relocated to bed cubby, Front windows tinted 20%, Blacked out grille, Hi-Lift bed mount, LED interior lights, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, TRS LED fog lights, Wet Okole TRD Off Road seat covers, NFAB Bed-mount light rack, 4x 6" KC ProSport HID, 2x 6" rear LED pods, CrimeStopper Remote Start.
    Did this mod to my 2015 a few weeks back. I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time so it's time for me to put in my part.

First, I bought a Bi-Color 31.5" LED Lightbar.

For installation I used the standard mounts that it came with and mounted them to two pieces of angled aluminum. I had to kind of wedge the bar in the lower valence to get it to fit flush.

Next I wired her up! For a bi-color switch I essentially had to wire up the light like I was wiring up two separate light bars. I have two separate relays to send the load to the light bar, one for normal LED, one for amber LED. These relays are hooked up to a DPDT switch that I installed in my center console behind my shifter.

TcTtrdsport14 and NordidiroN like this.
  14. Oct 15, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    NmBeefTaco

NmBeefTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    Toytec Boss lift, AAL, Ride rite air bags, Daystar cradles, Total Chaos UCA, Icon 17 inch Rebounds, 285/70R17 BFG KO2s, Ruff country 30” LED light bar kit, ruff country tri fold bed cover. Interior LED lighting and lic./reverse LED lights.
    Diggin the bi color bar. :thumbsup:

15. Oct 15, 2015 at 2:56 PM
    TheWringer

TheWringer Active Member

Member:
    West Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off-Road Access
    Bilstein 5100s, OME 885, LR UCAs, BFG KO2, AO Rims, Auto-dimming infinity edge mirror w/ compass and HomeLink, 30" Bi-Color LED light bar in lower valence, Raptor grille mod, Blacked out emblems, Fog light anytime mod, Rear Diff breather relocated to bed cubby, Front windows tinted 20%, Blacked out grille, Hi-Lift bed mount, LED interior lights, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, TRS LED fog lights, Wet Okole TRD Off Road seat covers, NFAB Bed-mount light rack, 4x 6" KC ProSport HID, 2x 6" rear LED pods, CrimeStopper Remote Start.
    I haven't had a chance to use it in the snow yet up here in Michigan but I'm looking forward to that. That was the main reason I went with a Bicolor. Thanks!

16. Oct 15, 2015 at 3:16 PM
    Josh828

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Avery NC
    Vehicle:
    FOX 2.5 extended travel, Fox 2.0 rears, LR UCA, XSPX rims, some light bars, and switches
    If you don't mind, how much did that cost? I went cheapo light bars and they have been fantastic but Ive always wanted amber down there!

17. Oct 15, 2015 at 3:31 PM
    TheWringer

TheWringer Active Member

Member:
    West Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off-Road Access
    So I wanted the option of being able to switch back and forth on the fly for different conditions (not blinding other people on the trail, snow drifts, etc.). The only one I could find that had amber/white as an option (without changing covers, of course) was lifetime LED (I'm in no way affiliated). They apparently have a "lifetime" warranty on their products but as I've read for their LED headlights, they sometimes aren't the best quality. However, haven't seen any negative reviews on their lightbars. Price for them was kind of middle of the road when it comes to a 30" lightbar. They have them on their site (https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_lights/amber_light_bar_amber_white_led_light_bar_315_inch_180w) for $319 but I got the 10% off. So far, I love it, fantastic output and build quality seems great, but we'll see how it holds up to Michigan snow and all that salt. Outside of that it was just buying a DPDT switch and wiring/relays for around $25 or so, pretty typical. Hope this helps.

jackOFsons17 likes this.
  18. Oct 15, 2015 at 3:33 PM
    Josh828

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Avery NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Im just glad you didn't reply with something like "its priced very reasonably about the same as a rigid at 1200 dollars" :rofl:

If something ever happens to mine I may have to pick one of these up! Mine has been basically underwater so I don't give it long :anonymous:

19. Oct 15, 2015 at 3:45 PM
    TheWringer

TheWringer Active Member

Member:
    West Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off-Road Access
    I have never heard anything but positive remarks about Rigid's bars so I can see why they have such a loyal fan base. But for me personally, I couldn't justify spending that kind of money for a lightbar. Apparently many others can :notsure:....to each his own.

20. Oct 16, 2015 at 4:27 AM
    MTopp

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    Yeah, either rich people or blind followers of the "truck game" crowd aka imbeciles

To Top