1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED lights Test, BlitzPro, ADVMonster

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by VE7OSR, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Dec 24, 2012 at 1:37 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR [OP] нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Hello folks,

I wanted to contribute here and do a test of some LED lights. I'll share the photos here and provide some subjective observations.

Test Setup.

Mounted LED units on a 1x6. Where I had a pair of the same type I wired them together. Mounted them symmetrically like you would if they were mounted on the truck. Powered them selectively with a fused DC cord connected to the truck battery.

Set the lights on top of a storage + portable bench, at approx. the same height as the stock headlights. I did not take a lot of time in aiming the LED lights.

Picture taking was done from behind the container looking down the center line of the lights, with a digital SLR mounted on a tripod, and set manually to retain the same exposure setting for each shot.

Found an empty dark road I knew of, with a slight uphill, and curve ahead of the lights. It was snowing on & off that night.

The lights are :
    BlitzPro 3LR, 12W each
    BlitzPro Hawk 15S, 36W
    ADVMonster Model 30 Spot, 10.2W each
    ADVMonster Model 60 Wide Beam , 28W each
    BlitzPro Model 6LZ, 18W each

Quick comparison results:
    The BlitzPro 3LR is noticeably brighter than the 6LZ. I personally like the form factor of the slender rectangular 6LZ versus the round 3LR though for the application I intend to use out the back of the truck off the canopy.

The BlitzPro Hawk 15s (shorter cousin to the popular 21S), produced a large cone of light that could reach up into the trees higher than the ADV Monster Model 60. The two Model 60s were brighter than the 15S out in front of the truck, as you would expect comparing 56Watts to 36Watts, but the 15S had a broader beam.
    The Model 30 Spots could reach further than the Model 60, but obviously at less brightness. Careful aiming of these lights would be necessary to maximize their use.

Looking back at the truck from a distance of over 100m (330feet) the LED lights were definitely more intense than the headlights, but its hard to compete with the overall distance you could see with the Hi-beam headlights. To be fair, the headlights are not stock bulbs but PIAA Extreme White units that I've been very happy with on highway travel.
    The light pattern comparisons were taken shining against a rockface, 10m (30-35ft) away.

Camera settings were 18mm lens at f4.0 for 1 second for the distance shots, and the pattern shots against the rock face were done with 18mm at f5.6 at 0.5 second exposure.

Low Beam1.jpg
    Low beam + Fog.jpg
    HI Beam.jpg
    Blitzpro 3LR_1.jpg
    ADVMonster 30 1.jpg.jpg
    Blitzpro Hawk15S 1.jpg.jpg
    ADVMonster Model 60 1.jpg.jpg
    ADVMonster Model 60+30.jpg
    Hawk15S + hi beam.jpg
    headlight+LEDs from 200ft away.jpg
    Blitzpro 3LR.jpg
    ADV Monster 30 Spots.jpg
    ADVMonster 60 Wide Beam.jpg.jpg
    Blitzpro Hawk 15S.jpg
    Blitzpro 6LZ.jpg

2. Dec 24, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    JustinL

JustinL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Berlin, CT
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB Pyrite Mica
    2012 Conversion
    This is excellent info and thank you for going through this. More description on the light mounting - were these mounted on your bumper bar?

3. Dec 25, 2012 at 12:47 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR [OP] нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    No. the lights were not mounted to the truck. The lights were bolted to a piece of 1x6 board. This board then sat on top of a storage container + portable bench to get to the same height approximately as the tacoma headlights. The camera was mounted on a tripod behind the light setup, and truck was parked behind that. The led lights were powered from the truck battery with a fused cord attached to the battery. Since the LEDs are current controlled by the LED light's circuitry, the brightness level does not change when the truck is running (13.8VDC) or operating from the battery when the truck is not running (12.6VDC typical). I wanted to test the lights before I went through with mounting them, and share the results with a few friends.

4. Dec 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    JustinL

JustinL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Berlin, CT
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB Pyrite Mica
    2012 Conversion
    Gotcha thank you for clarifying!

5. Dec 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    RockNRolla

RockNRolla Active Member

Member:
    West Coast Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB SR5 V6 4x4
    This is a killer write up! As I have been considering the 6LZ x 3. Most likely going to mount them to an Nfab light bar. But those 3LR's really threw a lot of light. .. Im curious what configuration would have more close range flood light output. 3 x 6LZ's ..or 2 x 3LR's ?
    As for spot lighting and range, Im going with some LightForce 170's.

6. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR [OP] нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Technically, three 6LZ (800lumens x3)should put out more quantity of light, than two 3LR (900 lumen x2). If the form factor of the slim rectangular shape is ideal for the look you'ld like to have, then go for that, but overall I think two 3LR would make a great choice for fog like pattern in front of the truck. I was impressed with the 3LR capability and compact size, and only 24Watts of power for the both of them.
    best wishes for your project! (post pics!) I have to get my choice of lights mounted in the next couple of months.

7. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    RockNRolla

RockNRolla Active Member

Member:
    West Coast Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB SR5 V6 4x4
    I do agree. The 3LR's are impressive. But aesthetically speaking, they aren't the look I'm going for. Hopefully my idea will work! Will post up the progress. Nfab bar goes on this week if all goes well.
    Looking forward to seeing your lighting array on the truck! lol..

Products Discussed in

To Top