1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leer 100XQ owners...?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 10toy, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Feb 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    10toy

10toy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    I had a cap put on my '10 DC short bed...looking towards the inside corners of the bed from the tailgate...I can see light coming in...just at the corners. After washing the truck I notice that water is getting in...do any of you have trouble with this? Maybe they didn't put enough insulation when installing or something...

2. May 23, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    donnie2guns

donnie2guns Member

Member:
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    06 Stocker
    Just foound your thread. I'm having the same problem with mine. I haven't notice any light coming in at the corners, but I get water coming in at the front corners and haven't been able to solve it yet. I took the cap off and added more weather stripping, but that didn't help. If you've solved this one, please let me know what the fix was!

3. May 23, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I also have the 100XQ, and when my dealer installed it, they put a bead of silicone caulk in that are to prevent leaks. Been 1 1/2 years and it works great. No leaks.

They said they were having a lot of problems with all of the Tacomas leaking where the sheet metal body panel overlaps the composite bed, so they started caulking them.

4. May 23, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Crawl up into your bed and look up under those corners. Like Rocketball said, there's a HUGE gap up there that you have to seal with caulk. The installers usually don't even know about the gap, so you should just plan on doing it yourself.

5. May 25, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    Steve_P

Steve_P Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4WD 4cyl
    I had a similar problem with my ARE cap. It's a design issue of the bed of the truck but the cap mfgs don't properly address it. Someone should make a filler bar, maybe extruded aluminum, that runs across the front portion of the bed (behind the cab) so it would be level with the the sides as this would make the caps seal much better.

ARE puts a large bulb seal across the front. This does a good job sealing there but there is still the corner issue. I ended up trimming the bulb seal so it only fits inside the front drop down portion and used clear silicone on the front corners. It's 99.9% leak free now- if we have a monsoon I will get a few drops in under the front bulb seal, but the corners are ok.

Products Discussed in

To Top