1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Left Pull When Braking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rcgo88, May 2, 2015.

1. May 2, 2015 at 5:01 PM
    rcgo88

rcgo88 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Cement
    I'm totally stumped! I have a 96' Tacoma 4x4 Standard Cab 3.4L V6. I am the original owner. A few months ago I noticed a pretty good pulsing when braking. Warped rotor right? I thought so too. So I installed new rotors and pads. Pulsing is still there and now I have a hard pull to the left when braking. Bad caliper right? I thought so too. LOL I installed NEW calipers and for good measure I warrantied out the rotors and pads. Still I have a intermittent pulsing when braking and a consistent pull to the left when braking. A little background: About a year ago I did the rear drums. I replaced the drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, self adjusting hardware and ALL other hardware. About 6 months ago I replaced ALL of the high pressure lines. So basically my entire brake system is new except for the master cylinder and proportioning valve. PRO valve is just for front vs rear correct? Shouldn't have anything to do with side to side? Could the master cylinder be the culprit? Or, is there some other obscure reason my truck is pulling to left when braking and the occasional pulsing. Also, my tires are new (Yokohama Geolander) and the alignment was done a few months ago. HELLLP........ I appreciate any and all feedback!

2. May 2, 2015 at 6:08 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Wow, thats weird.

Seems like it started with the new tires. I'd suspect one of them.
    Verify they are all the exact same size. Maybe one is defective. Try rotating front to
    back and see if it makes any difference.

3. May 2, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    you covered the front so the issue has to be with the back brakes.

probably a warped drum, sometimes sudden hard braking can warp a hot drum.

you need to get all 4 wheels off the ground to see for sure which one it is. do the front two last since im sure they are fine so start with the rear two and only this way can you see which tire is dragging and rubbing/pulsing

4. May 2, 2015 at 8:05 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    a worn inner tie rod could cause wandering when braking.
    have it aligned
    and the tech could determine if the itre has play or steering components need attention.

Not saying it couldn't be checked by ones self...
    experience offers a more thorough investigation tho'

Could also be worn rack mount bushings causing the whole rack to shift.

Not saying the new rotors are good or bad quality wise...
    but if the brakes were overheated or the wheels were over torqued...
    the rotors could be warped and contribute additionally to your issue.

The Tacoma ifs front suspension/steering systems amplify issues/faults noticeably if component wear occurs.

5. May 2, 2015 at 9:46 PM
    rcgo88

rcgo88 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    NV
    Vehicle:
    I'm pretty sure it's not a tire. The problems started well after new tires. They very good quality and all the same size. These are exactly the same make, model and size as was on the truck when I bought it in 96'. With that being said, I haven't tried the rotation idea yet. It is possible I got a bad tire. I will rotate them tomorrow and report on the results.

6. May 2, 2015 at 9:52 PM
    rcgo88

rcgo88 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    NV
    Vehicle:
    About a year ago I did the rear drums. I replaced the drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, self adjusting hardware and ALL other hardware. I did the calipers, pads and rotors today and I had all wheels off the ground. I turned all four wheels by hand and nothing hung up and no one wheel was harder to turn than any other. The occasional pulsing I feel is in the wheel not my backside. I appreciate the ideas.

7. May 2, 2015 at 10:04 PM
    rcgo88

rcgo88 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    NV
    Vehicle:

About 2 years ago the steering rack went out. I replaced it with a Maval rebuilt. Maval is the Toyota/Lexus OEM for racks. When I replaced the rack I completely rebuilt the front end suspension with all Moog parts. Upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, upper and lower control arms and ALL bushings with an Energy Suspension kit. Back in 2008 I put Bilsteins on all 4 wheels. Could a bad strut or shock be causing this issue? They have a lifetime warranty.

The calipers, rotors and pads were just done today. I don't think my 10 mile test drive was enough to warp them that fast. I went easy on them just for testing purposes. I used my CDI torque wrench to torque the fluid line to 12ft/lbs, the caliper bolts to 90 ft/lbs and the lugs tom 83 ft/lbs. These torque values are from the FSM for my truck. I appreciate you thoughts. Any other ideas?

8. May 3, 2015 at 12:04 AM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    2 years ago is not today
    just because something was new, installed back then...
    does not mean it couldn't be failing now.

I have gone thru 4 racks... and double that #, if accounting for itre replacements.

of course I did spend a lot of time on the trails
    and the 285's then/295's I roll currently... are hard on components.
    Bigger tires kill things quicker.

I too purchased a factory reman rack 1st round...
    and the itre's only survived for two years.
    following year... the rack pissed it's innards.
    I was disappointed with the purchase price...
    as it did not survive even one half the life of my original factory installed rack.
    Possibly it could be a hit or miss deal...
    but I'm not paying the exorbitant price for another to make further determination.

Currently I utilize a Napa rebuilt rack with the LLW, going on 3yrs now
    Even then... my current Napa rack itre's are getting sloppy and it wasn't wheeled much
    during my latest rack install.

The quality/durability of the factory re-mfgr'd/distributed racks...
    are not as good as was the original factory rack. JME

You can choose to ignore what you think it can't be...
    but that denial won't likely source yer problem.

but it's likely related to something listed below...

...brake wear or improper install and even incompatible or sub-grade oem components

...steering/susp. component wear = things wear out, just happens.

...poor or faulty tire balancing = lug centric balancing insures a proper balance

...defective tire = rotate tires to see if effect changes

9. May 3, 2015 at 7:26 AM
    rcgo88

rcgo88 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    NV
    Vehicle:
    So I rotated the tires this morn and went on a 12 mile test drive. I still have an intermittent pulsing and a consistent pulling to the left. I did some further internet research and I found a couple posts saying that although rare, a failing master cylinder can cause a pull to one side. Also, I discovered the proportioning valve isn't just front to back. It operates on kitty corner. I mean it controls the left front with the right rear and the right front with the left rear. So if it is failing than it makes total sense it could cause a pull when braking because only one front caliper is completely gripping. I found this info on a Nissan forum, not Toyota. Can anyone confirm the proportioning valve works this way on my truck?

10. May 3, 2015 at 11:51 AM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    On my Tacoma the proportioning valve only controlls the rear axle...
    it compensates when weight is added to the bed...
    it does not proportion independently left to right.

I would not think the MC is your issue.
    tho' ya could have air in the lines.

Is the vibration noticed only at the brake pedal...
    or at the steering wheel as well ?

11. May 3, 2015 at 12:08 PM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Our proportion valve only controls the rear. Have you bled the brakes? Do u have a solid pedal or is it soft at all? I also can't imagine how a failing MC would cause a pull to one side.

12. Dec 6, 2020 at 4:47 PM
    drtymuzk

drtymuzk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zachariah
    Vehicle:
    2002 silver Tacoma 4 door
    I have a similar issue, constant pulling to the right when breaking. bought an inexpensive BPV to see if that would change the issue. valve didnt work at all and the issue worse and change sides. going to buy the OEM quality and try that.

any updates on if this issue ever got fixed?

Products Discussed in

To Top