1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Left side brake light

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Blue Truck, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Apr 11, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    Blue Truck

Blue Truck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    2008 tacoma left side brake light bulb blows after a week or two. Any suggestions as to why?

2. Apr 11, 2019 at 12:21 PM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Loose Socket or any other loose connections causing a spike each application .

Have you measured the voltage at the socket??

You are using the correct bulb??

Is it only the brake light filament that opens ?

3. Apr 11, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    Taco_Hero

Taco_Hero Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel G
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road DCLB
    Is there any condensation?

4. Apr 12, 2019 at 4:17 AM
    Blue Truck

Member:
    It is the bulb listed, it is only the brake side of the bulb, I haven't really dug into things yet, electrical is not my strong point but you have given me a few things to look at. I didn't notice any condensation when I changed the bulb last time. I also don't think the TRD offroad came with trailer wiring but this one has a trailer plug so there may be a splice somewhere causing problems.

5. Apr 14, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    joeyv141

joeyv141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    So since you state that it is only the brake side of the bulb I would for now write off the ground since that is shared with the tail/market lights on that bulb, it is possible the ground wire has a fault and the tail/markers dont draw enough juice for them to fail but its unlikely.
    Based on the haynes manual wiring diagrams the blue wire is for the power to the brake lights, the green is the tail/marker lights, and the ground is white/black. Based on said diagram the brake switch sends voltage to the driver side junction box and from there you have three wires for the three brake lights. Thus I would assume you have a problem between said junction box and the bulb socket on that BLUE wire that goes to the left brake bulb.

Please post a picture of the trailer wiring plug and we can tell you if its OEM or aftermarket, if aftermarket I would look for were it was spliced into the harness. I do not see trailer wiring specified anywhere in haynes but I will check on Alldata at work Tuesday, that will only be useful if its OEM trailer wiring of course.
    I assume you do not have anything hooked up to this trailer connector as you seem unsure of it, on the off chance you do have something connected then unplug whatever it is and see if the bulb still blows.

How many times has the bulb blown? When did it start blowing? How often does it blow, ie each week, once a month? And importantly what brand are you using, I have used a few free bulbs in the past of unknown brand and had them blow out quickly, I use sylvania bulbs now and rarely have problems.

6. Apr 15, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    Blue Truck

Member:
    I got into it yesterday, the trailer plug does seem to be factory based on how it goes into the main harness, it is a round 7 pin. There were 3 splice connectors snapped into the wiring of the tail light housing and whatever was hooked to those splices had been cut off. I removed the splices and re-spliced and taped everything and replaced the bulb so all seems to be good for now.

joeyv141 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top