1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Les Stroud vs. Bear Grylls

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by THXEY, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Dec 29, 2008 at 9:58 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    A show based on Les vs Bear in a race to get some place like 100 miles from where they are in some remote place would be pretty sweet.

2. Dec 29, 2008 at 10:19 AM
    Tacoma02TRD

Tacoma02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Walla Walla WA/ Klamath Falls OR
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    3inch Revtech lift,Flowmaster Muffler, K&N cold air intake, 33x12.5 Maxxis Bighorns, TRD stock locker, Hella 500 Fog lights, Scanguage II, 6k HIDs, Painted Black Rims
    X2 I like Bear Grylls myself even if he does have his own crew his background stands out to me a lot more than Les. Bear only has a watercan and a knife most of the time were Les has a backpack full of goodies leatherman, multiple layers of clothing miscellaneous odds and ends. There both good informational shows to watch no matter who you like though.

3. Dec 29, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i'm pretty sure he has a SPOT. new gps sat. communication device. can't talk on it, but you can report your position and wether you are ok or in need of assistance. i think you can check on someone on the net, to see where they are at any given time. also have read that even sat phones have dead spots.

i pick Stroud over Grylls. i did see Grylls in a documentary about joining the foreign legion once that was cool.

4. Mar 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
  5. Mar 2, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    Swwacoma

Swwacoma Doomsday Squad

Member:
    Estero, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5.
    I think Man V Wild is meant to be more entertaining, but with that said if I was stuck in the woods w/ either of them: Les Stroud...If I had to go partying w/ either of them: Les Stroud (I always thought it was kinda cool when some crazy drunk bastard pulls out a harmonica at a party)...If I was in a tag team deathmatch with a bear: Bear Grylls (but I'd have Les on stand by for when I go running through the woods crying as the bear mauls Bear and get lost and need a survivorman)

6. Mar 2, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    javajunk-e

javajunk-e Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    '09, Super White, DC, LB, 4x4, SR5.
    Tacoma all weather floor mats, N-Fab Prerunner light bar w/ Hella 500ff lights, mag-lite mod, Hi-lift jack, Wet Okole seat covers, Revenge Fab sliders, ARE MX shell with Thule racks, and a Bed Rug.
    ^^^^A motel 6 is beautiful in a survival situation. :puke: I gotta go with Les though!! Just read his book called "Survive." He has a lot of different survival techniques, great basic book for a person who spends time in the outdoors!

7. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    there is no comparison! Bear stays in hotels after the camera's go off, survivor man is just 100% badass!

Seriously though, has anyone here spent 7 days in complete isolation in the wilderness? me neither, but i do know the psychological affect of doing that. Even IF Bear roughed it the whole time, having a crew next to him the entire time is a huge psychological relief. just being close to another human in those conditions is comforting. Stroud is completely alone, which takes a huge toll on your mind as well as yoru body. If i had to chose which one to be stranded with, it would be SURVIVORMAN hands down!

8. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Les is way better IMO. He is out there by himself. Bear has a crew of people and always talk about how crazy of a situation he is in but never mentions that his camera crew is there in the exact same position holding a camera. Bear also claims to be in remote areas when youtube videos show that they are not so remote. Either way I have seen both and both are good for entertainment purposes.

9. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Les Stroud...........by far. I think they should make a show where the two of them are dropped off in bfe and see who the better survivor is.

10. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    No one mentioned Timothy Treadwell...He survived with Bears...until he was eaten.

11. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    Racinkid13

Racinkid13 Problem Child

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD debadged and beaten
    many

actually, he carries one of the same gadets all baja racers do. i forget what its called. but has different buttons. check in, need help, 911. but it uses satalite. i remember seeing him talk about it once on a behind the scense show.

12. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    JeremyS

JeremyS Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Magnetic grey DC 4x4
    Toytech Coilovers 3", TC UCA's, AAL, All Pro Bumper (Front + Rear), Pro Comp 7005 Wheels, Duratracs. Alpine PDX Amps, Alpine HU, JL Evolution Speakers, JL 13TW5 Sub. Front Runner Slim Line Roof Rack & Canopy Rack, Leer 100RCC Canopy, Tepui Autana Ruggedized.
    Ya SPOT tracker device. Bear has a crew with him at all times, and his stunts are semi-set-up exciting how to's. Les does have a crew with him actually, just not in his immediate vicinity, but they are there ready to bail him out, like in the Newfoundland/Labrador episode. Both dudes are badass and are just filming what their good at and and like doing, in their own ways. Even if Bear's are a bit more produced, who says TV isn't educational?! Beats reality TV

13. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Les is the man. I don't care what his background is, Bear Grylls' name alone is ridiculous. It just screams FAKE!

14. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    thats just boring! Now if they were being hunted by an eccentric big game hunter on a huge island with dinosaurs (or at least rabid dingos)...... now THAT would be some quality tv!

15. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    Racinkid13

Racinkid13 Problem Child

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD debadged and beaten
    many

yeah, thats it.

yeah, that episode was crazy. crew having to be rescued too. Or the one where he was at sea, his crew lost his signal for a while. just shows even if they are montioring from miles away, leaves a lot of time for things to go very wrong.

i find Les episodes more of a feasable scenario. But when Grylls went and ate bear poo, i just had to keep watchin to see what hed do next. i mean, when am i ever going to be in transylvania. i dont want to be near them transexual transvestites. :D

16. Mar 2, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    jwscoot

jwscoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississauga, ON
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma v6 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around, add a leaf in the rear
    Hands Down Les Stroud.

maybe not as fast paced as bears shit. but I guess when your actually doing what you say your doing it will wear you out!.

17. Mar 2, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    LEs Stroud he is out there on his own

18. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3

x2... grylls has all the help. he is ok at showing how to do stuff but half the time i doubt he really does it.

19. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    Les Stroud is the Chuck Norris of survival!

20. Mar 3, 2009 at 12:07 AM
    javajunk-e

javajunk-e Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    '09, Super White, DC, LB, 4x4, SR5.
    Tacoma all weather floor mats, N-Fab Prerunner light bar w/ Hella 500ff lights, mag-lite mod, Hi-lift jack, Wet Okole seat covers, Revenge Fab sliders, ARE MX shell with Thule racks, and a Bed Rug.
    Treadwell, was tempting nature. Imo he kinda deserved what he got...

Products Discussed in

To Top