1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lesson learned "Lights behind Grill"

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jward2331, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Jan 17, 2009 at 10:22 AM
    jward2331

jward2331 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged, tinted windows, upper/lower Grillcraft (horns relocated), Hella 500's with HID Mod (55W 5000) behind grill, shorty antenna, WeatherTech side window deflectors, suspension TSB, Westin Signature Nerf bars, JVC KD A-615 Head Unit with Sirius Direct tuner, Blacked out headlights, DTDL Mod (Switch for on/off), Hard Wired GPS, NOKYA Arctic Hyper Yellow Fog lights, Fog lights on anytime Mod, Michelin LTX M/S2 (P265/65R17), Powder coated OEM wheels. LED ANZO tail lights, Weather Tech FloorLiners.
    I am such a Dumba$$! I've been reading and studing and researching, well thought I did enough research... I had already installed the Grillcraft grill and wanted take the mod to a new level by installing the Hella Rallye 1000 Black Magic lights. Ordered them, took two days from Autoanything and was stoked, ready to start. I worked on installing the lights the yesterday only to realize the lights are much bigger than the Hella 500's (after going back on line and checking the dimentions) and they don't fit comfortable, they rub on the bottom. I am screwed now. Shoulda bought the 500's.
    Unless someone can enlighten me from their experience, I will have to sell the lights and use the harness for some 500's or sell the whole setup. I already pre wired the lights so they are ready to mount.

John

2. Jan 17, 2009 at 12:38 PM
    1BlkT

1BlkT Mod'n on a Budget

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Sport Double Cab
    Allied 4'' Spindles, Sway A Way 2.5 Coilovers, Donahoe Remote Reservoir Shocks w/ Deaver 11Pack Leafs, Goodyear Duratrac 285's, Pro Comp Series 8128, Recessed Grill w/Hella 500's behind, Tint, Black TRD Skid Plate, Debadged, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Weathertech Mats, Aero Turbine 2525XL Exhaust, Volant Intake, RETRO'D Headlights by Yosh2000
    Can you post a picture so we have a better idea of where it's rubbing?

3. Jan 17, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Potentially interested in buying those if they don't work out for ya...

4. Jan 18, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    jward2331

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    Debadged, tinted windows, upper/lower Grillcraft (horns relocated), Hella 500's with HID Mod (55W 5000) behind grill, shorty antenna, WeatherTech side window deflectors, suspension TSB, Westin Signature Nerf bars, JVC KD A-615 Head Unit with Sirius Direct tuner, Blacked out headlights, DTDL Mod (Switch for on/off), Hard Wired GPS, NOKYA Arctic Hyper Yellow Fog lights, Fog lights on anytime Mod, Michelin LTX M/S2 (P265/65R17), Powder coated OEM wheels. LED ANZO tail lights, Weather Tech FloorLiners.
    I was mounting them from the top and they are so big they rub down on the bottom (on the flange). I was working on one light and realized it wouldn't work for me so I never mounted them. I just put the grill back on the truck. No pictures available since it is back together.

5. Jan 18, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    jward2331

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    If you are interested, let me know, I will make it worth your while. I won't be using them so I need to recover what I can. I bought them from "Autoanything" for $219, shipping included. I want to buy the Hella 500's and be done with my project and move on to others.

6. Jan 18, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    1BlkT

1BlkT Mod'n on a Budget

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Sport Double Cab
    Allied 4'' Spindles, Sway A Way 2.5 Coilovers, Donahoe Remote Reservoir Shocks w/ Deaver 11Pack Leafs, Goodyear Duratrac 285's, Pro Comp Series 8128, Recessed Grill w/Hella 500's behind, Tint, Black TRD Skid Plate, Debadged, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Weathertech Mats, Aero Turbine 2525XL Exhaust, Volant Intake, RETRO'D Headlights by Yosh2000
    When you were mounting them were you trying to mount them from the the "top flange" when they were hitting the bottom flange? If so what if you mounted them from the 2 plastic brackets that you screw onto the truck to attach the grill? I don't know if I'm explaining this right or if you might have tried from there already. The down side would be they wouldn't be as close to the grill and possible not enough room behind the light for them to fit then.

7. Jan 18, 2009 at 10:26 AM
    jward2331

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    You explained it right, no I didn't try that. You are right though, I don't think there would be enough room. I've dumped that idea, now I am going back to plan A and do what the others have done. I need to get some bucks back by selling the Black Magic. They are great lights. They are bigger and heavier than I imagined. Shoulda done better homework...

Products Discussed in

To Top