1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let the conversion begin :P

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by atalladega, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM
    wrxRome

wrxRome Houston's Swamp Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Covington, LA/Friendswood,TX
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB 4x4 trd off road
    do the armrest mod..

NICE interior!!! i love it

2. Mar 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    atalladega

atalladega [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 double cab, 4x4 TRD off-road
    Thanks!!

LMAO, my office is full of car parts to the ceiling! I keep thinking to myself "if I keep them out of the loft in the "detached", then I'll get to it sooner. LOL

Glad you like it, it still pretty basic, I like to get creative with builds but you gotta do the basic stuff first, right? I hope to have the time to get creative with the doors and the audio. We'll see what time permits.

Thanks, It's pretty easy, just take your time with each coat of dye. Don't cake it on, it's just like painting (essentially it is) it'll run or you'll lose your texture in the parts. It definitely freshened up the interior in this truck. I also did the plastic piece surrounding the gear shift to match the plastic around the dash vents. It has a satin finish to it instead of gloss. I like it! Lots of potential in that center console for stuff.

Thanks! That was the first thing I was thinking when I bought the truck and opened the door. But I might get a little more crazy with the doors. I haven't decided yet, it's going to depend on how much time I have on the days i can work on it.

Also, I got out early today so I dropped it off to my mechanic buddy to put the lift on. NOW I know what you are all thinking....and it's not that I can't do it or don't have the tools. It's the time that I don't have. I usually do all my wrenching but free time is sparse lately plus I like to help my buddies out with work whenever I can. So, I hope I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow but my schedule is saying Thursday. :( He said he'd probably be done with it tonight but I told him to go ahead and align it so it'd be done tomorrow but I can't pick it up till Thursday IF I skip out a little early. :( But be assured I'm gonna post pics as soon as I get it back!

Ry

3. Mar 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    Relik

Relik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport PreRunner-Auto-Magnetic Gray
    Bilstein 5100s (Front & ext. Rear), Eibach coils @ 0, MaxTrac 4" Spindles, Light Racing UCAs, 1/4" lean spacer, All-Pro 3" Standard leafs, u-bolt flip kit, SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers, 33" (285/70/17) TreadWright Warden A/T tires, extended lines
    Looking good man! If you can get the charcoal dash color matched, post the color code/mix! I def need some made...Oh and do you spray it on like paint or do you rub it in like varnish?

Did you think about getting Weathertech floor mats in black? I have them on mine and love them! Just got the rears...really changed the color perspective of interior..kind of like that full black look of the '12....you should get them!

4. Mar 7, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    MonkeyChief

MonkeyChief Detachable member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ACORLR
    WTB Topper Lunar Rock 6’ Leer
    I am wanting to paint all of those pieces too, but I am hoping to go a bit darker like it sounded like you were going to do originally, getting closer to the charcoal color it will be sitting next to.

I also thought about wrapping the upper door panels and the matching dash panels in a black vinyl with a very light foam behind to soften up some of the plastic a bit.

5. Mar 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 X Runner
    Billet 5 piece Grille, Pink X-Brace, Pink Devil Horns, Stereo with Sub-X, short shifter, URD intake, Xii street drop, Vinyl custom interior dash,......... for now ;)
    is that a classic 1960's mustang in the back ground????? :eek::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

ps... truck is looking good

6. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    06ToyTaco

06ToyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DCLB Sr5 Silver
    OME 885X, 1.5" AAL + TSB, LR UCA
    Is that a wheelskin? Looks nice. Can we get more info?:D

7. Mar 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    Yea, I went to the local paint shop the other day and the dye match was just not quite there. So I wasn't going to drop $40 on dye that just wouldn't cut it. So I have to wait until I can go to my normal place in Tampa. But I've been asking around if anyone else knows a reliable matcher near by. So far no go, but once I find a perfect match I'll do it all and I'll let you know about the dye possibly give you some ingredients numbers. :)

If I can get an exact match I'd be glad to share the secrete! You use a spray gun and compressor.

I usually just get a set of the rubber mats from walmart with the deep channels for my trucks but, I may just have to look into the weathertechs. Thanks!

Thanks and Yes! That's my long-term project, '65 fastback, doing a show custom restomod. All the metal cancer has been replaced and repaired, custom subframe bracing, mini-tubbed, custom suspension rear, mustang II susp. front. I have a 4.6L 3V 2008 mustang GT motor going in with a 6speed. 2.8 mammoth Kenne Bell blower to name a few. :) Full critical mass audio system stacked in my office. It's all ripped and stripped to go to the media blaster. That's suppose to happen after the 17th. Then I can get it back together as a roller and start to work on the interior. Gonna be sawweeeeet!

Just finished up all the metal work.... tore it down and it's sits waiting for a date. :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honestly I just ordered a perforated leather steering wheel cover from ebay. It was like $15 but to be honest it feels just as nice as a wheelskins. The only little thing I have about it is that it is stitched with 3 seams and unfortunately they are not equidistant from each other so, I just lined up a seam to the top center and let the other two fall where they fell. CAn't really tell while driving....but I know they are there so it bugs me a little. But for a savings of $35+ and the same feel, I'm all good. :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Mar 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    Passed by to see my truck today, looks nice with the lift installed. They installed the lift and had it aligned. But once the 33's got put on it was obvious I'm gonna need the cab mount chop done so I left it with him for now. It's up on the lift and it'll be easier to do it up there than on jack stands! I should be done by Monday. I'll try to have some pics up by then.

Forgot to take some pics before I dropped it off, this was the only one. Sorry :eek:
    [​IMG]

9. Mar 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    Got the taco back the other day but have been too busy to do anything even look at it. I should have some time this weekend to get some stuff done. I'll post up pics soon. I only took a couple of cell pics again and they aren't that great. When I get home from the hospital I'll try to see if I can take some better pics if its not too dark.

10. Mar 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    wow ur truck is coming along, u must be stoked? ur little man looks like he is going to be a lady killer...:D

11. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    OK! I know it's been months since I've had time to update this but, I've not had the time to work on my taco until recently. So, here's what I have been able to do. Lots of work in the last month or so:

My TAG winch bumper came in, extremely happy with the build quality and the customer service there. I've read the nightmare experiences with TAG but, mine was extremely pleasurable. I ordered it and they explained how long the lead time was on the build date, didn't ask for any payment until they were ready to build. I paid and they told me the approximate delivery time which it was delivered smack dab in the middle of that time. It came on a pallet wrapped in cardboard and plastic and it was good to go, see pics. The only think I would advise is that if you order a bumper from them order it bare metal. I paid a whopping $20 more for it to be painted black and that was scratched from shipping in areas and i found the paint came off pretty easily. I ended up sandblasting it off and priming and applying bed liner. I installed it with the 9500lb superwinch with 90+ft of synthetic rope. I couldn't believe how much lighter it was than my other winch with cable, when I picked up the box I was almost scared that they didn't send me a winch. LOL I wired up the winch and put the box in the engine bay. I also replaced the cloudy headlights with new black shroud crystal housings. Then bough a new grill and paint matched the surround and bedlinered the black grill, and painted the emblem red. I have black and red D rings on the bumper. (see pics) I'm kinda sticking with the silver, black and red theme on the truck.

I also stuck with the grey black theme inside and took the overhead console and custom fabricated into it an 6 rocker switch panel to run all the accessories and dyed it black to match the leather and black dyed plastic pieces. I wired the winch to be able to be run from in the cab as well as from the hand held outside the truck if need be. I ran the wires for the roof lights and today finally put the safari rack and up with the 4 7" HID off road lights and 2 rear facing LED flood lights. The upper panel looks great IMHO especially when you turn on the ignition and the backlights come on in red and when you turn on one of the switches it turns to green. I'll take more pics of everything tomorrow in the light. I finished wiring everything up at about 9pm so it was dark and I just wanted to come in and take a shower. I was beat after a full day at work and hopped right on this when I got home. So I snapped a couple pics and that was it. Anyway, enjoy hope you like it. I have a few more little things to do but for the most part Im about 80-90% done. Oh, I wired a backup camera to the Navi that i put in, I wired a switch on one of the switches above to be able to turn on the camera while driving. I'm also going to be wiring up a camera up in the front to use while off-roading to see low while the nose is up.

Anyway, enough words her are some pics and I'll try to put a build thread together when I can get more pics all together.

Thanks, enjoy.

IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_3644.jpg
    IMG_3651.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3671.jpg
    IMG_3675.jpg
    IMG_3674.jpg
    IMG_3673.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3890.jpg
    IMG_3891.jpg
    IMG_3894.jpg
    IMG_3896.jpg
    IMG_3898.jpg
    IMG_3900.jpg
    IMG_3903.jpg

12. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    suttonkb

suttonkb GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Clemson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SAS incoming
    wow +1 to you sir. I love the lights, love the switches you have set up, love the bumper. Its all around sweet. would also like to see some more pics when you get a chance of the whole truck with the rack and lights. Maybe also some shots of the light output. Where did you get the new headlights? mine are so fogged and ugly i doubt they could be fixed.

13. Jul 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Great looking truck!!! I'd like to see how you did the switches in the upper console. I see where there is a panel behind the main one but how did you do the outside part to match the curvature of the switches? Damn, you have almost got me wanting leather now....and a steering wheel cover. uugh

14. Jul 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    this is an awesome build great choices on upgrades :)

& that hardbody is awesome! i had one of those years ago it was a beast and took one hell of a beating.

15. Jul 24, 2012 at 11:50 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I'll get some pics today in the daylight and get them up tonight. I need to adjust the upper lights on the rack before I take some light output pics up but I'll be sure to do so asap. Yea mine were pretty foggy I tried to sand and polish but i wasn't happy, I think I ordered these of of ebay or Amazon. They are pretty nice, matched up perfectly as far as mounting points.

I forgot to take picks of when I was making the overhead.... well I may have snapped a few I'll have to double check. but it's fiberglass kitty hair, filler and feather fill. I'll go into how I formed it and built it when I make a build thread. Nut I'm glad you noticed the curvature. My goal was to make it look stock. Its funny because it is a marine switch panel so the picture inserts are limited. The one labeled with the anchor is the switch that turns on the winch, and I have the "in and out" switch on the dash. But the anchor was the closest thing to a winch.... but technically.... the anchor windlass is a winch so...

Oh and couldn't be happier with the leather and the steering wheel cover! Only thing with the steering wheel I may re-stitch with red thread.

Thanks Brah! Yea the "Mud fugger" is a beast. winched my dad's F350 out of the mud the other week. I have a pic I'll post it. I didn't have the winch on the Taco yet so i couldn't use it. My 17 year old son drives the Nissan most of the time now and it's a school favorite chicks love it. I even hooked it up with a decent audio system. :) I wanted one new when I was in high school, I couldn't afford it and my dad wouldn't buy it for me. LOL

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Jul 25, 2012 at 2:29 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Hows the dye holding up?

17. Jul 25, 2012 at 2:45 AM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
  18. Jul 25, 2012 at 4:51 AM
    pauldotcom

pauldotcom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    OEM Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", Rear 1" block, TRD 17' Wheels
    About the black carpet - cany you just order one from a 2012? Nice build

19. Jul 25, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    Dye is holding up great! Only one spot on the back of the console that got scratched by a piece of metal from my kids. A quick touch up solved that. The armrest gets the most abuse and it's holding up great. There was a leather piece for the armrest that came with the kit but it didnt fit tight enough for my taste so i didn't use it, but the dye is holding its own in that department.

TY

Thanks and IDK, I'd assume that would be pretty expensive and IDK if they are the same exactly. I haven't searched in a few months, I'll try to search today if there is a replacement available yet.

20. Jul 25, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    Collins

Collins Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4
    Seriously nice build...good luck with it man.

Some nice car toys in that garage too!
    Is that a Chevelle in front of your 'stang in that one shot?

I like your D21 beater a lot...
    i've got a 85 with +250K miles on it...love that truck,
    can't make myself sell it...
    if it were 4x4 i probably would not have the Tacoma.

PC

Products Discussed in

To Top