1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's Get Nostalgic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TxPreRunner, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Nov 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    TxPreRunner

TxPreRunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Rockwall, Tx
    Vehicle:
    Factory (for now) Silver, 04 PreRunner, 2.7L
    Absolutely nothing..for now..
    What are some things that you miss from the good ole' days?

I haven't been here but for 18 years, but I was raised up right. I worked my ass off for things that I wanted, I never had anything handed to me that I didn't deserve. I was raised to always respect your elders, look at people in the eye when they talk, and always when you shook someones hand, they meant it.

I am appaled at how this generation of kids acts, feel that they're so entitled in everything, and how they don't want to get off their lazy butt and go do, or work for anything. They would rather stay inside and play videogames, when I wasn't seen from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM on any given day. I was out hunting, fishing, shooting, or riding my bike, having bottle rocket wars with my buddies, I just did anything to keep me outside.

I also miss buttermilk and cornbread:(

What do yall remember from the good ole' days?

2. Nov 16, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I totally agree. Most kids my age give us a bad rap because they have terrible parents that don't know how to raise a kid.

I don't have a problem with parents buying their kids nice things but its when the kid doesn't appreciate it that upsets me.

3. Nov 16, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    :hungry: my grandmothers homemade apple pies and biscuits

4. Nov 16, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    Cb2589

Cb2589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    Wheelers Offroad black steel wheels, 12 disc changer, spray in bedliner, Black UWS toolbox, Kelly Safari TSR's, Dynomax Super Turbo
    Not really the good ole days. but the nowadays haha....

I hate how kids in my school get new cars, and don't have to pay for them. I hate how some of my friends have credit cards, and don't pay a cent of what goes on it. Don't pay for their gas money. And even though there are some young cool dudes on here with cool Tacomas, I still hate that their parents bought it for them "because they got good grades" or whatever other reason. My girlfriend's bestfriend's boyfriend has a jeep wrangler...didn't pay for it. I forgot to mention the 7 inch lift and 37 inch tires on it....oh yeah didn't pay for it.....and then there are the 2 fog lights, 4 kc daylighters, the wheels on it, the bumpers that are on it that weren't payed for by him. Did I mention he doesn't do his dishes and his mom still does his laundry? I mean really?

I guess I can understand a new truck being an incentive for getting good grades....but damn that just seems a little spoiled to me. A brand new truck? My truck sure as hell isn't new, but all around is nicer than half the vehicles on the road because I worked for that truck and I payed cash for that truck and I take care of it.

There are too many other things I could say about how todays generation sucks. But in a nutshell...lazy, rude, insufficient, pessimistic, dependent, not smart? lol

That doesn't include our WHOLE generation......but I know many people like that. ^^^

5. Nov 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Ice cream cones for a dime from the local drug store/soda fountain. My 1971 Monte Carlo. $1.50 haircuts. Fishing or hunting all day at the age of 12. Wouldn't see anybody all day! Beaver Ponds with pink-belliied native brook trout.

Just to name a few.....

6. Nov 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    I like how the guys posted in here are all young except Mark so far. :D I agree though. I was/ am spoiled I admit. I live at home and don't have to pay rent. That is the only way I can afford my truck. I am extremely grateful and appreactive for everything I have though.

I'm still young, but it's crazy to think that gas was only a dollar something a gallon when I first started driving, and not in the mid 3 dollar range now. I miss the younger days, pre-junior high when there was not a care in the world.

7. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    :spy: President Reagan

8. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Our economy.....

9. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen Tacoma
    Chicken lights, chrome and smoke tunes.
    Im only 18 but, I miss when I could fill my minibike up for a $1, I remember we went on vacation and flew to california in the year 2000 when I was 8 and theres was hardly no airport security what-so-ever, saturday morning cartoons (the real ones not none of this new bullcrap), being a kid and not having a care in the world.

10. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    Cb2589

Cb2589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    Wheelers Offroad black steel wheels, 12 disc changer, spray in bedliner, Black UWS toolbox, Kelly Safari TSR's, Dynomax Super Turbo

x2 to that!

11. Nov 17, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    Yeah it was cool when your family could come to the gate and see you as you got off the airplane. It was also cool when the plane wasn't a flying greyhound bus.

I guess the problem with video games is that now with xbox live, etc; you can be social and play video games. It used to be that the need for social interaction forced kids outside every so often. Texting and chatting use a lot of shorthand and little punctuation, so most kids writing skills are pretty awful.

Oh well...makes me look better!

*edit* I also miss when I could buy cold medicine that works without having to write my drivers license # down...price to pay I guess for living in a state with a meth problem.

12. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    My son is in Junior High, I tell him everyday to enjoy these days. School, Friday night football etc. Some of the best times in your life. You dont realize it then, then you wake up 20 yrs later and say WTF... where did it go.

13. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I miss the skiing back in the early 70's...:rasta:

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.

Amen!
    And also when you could get three kids in the trunk of a car and sneak into the drive-in movie.....even though it only cost $.50 apiece. Filling up my '71 Monte Carlo for $6!

15. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Sneaking into the drive-in with people in the trunk...been there done that!! One thing I don't miss are those gas lines we had to wait in back in the 70's! On a side note...has anyone seen D.B. Cooper?:cool:

16. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I miss the days when almost all houses with kids had a dad in them and it wasn't child abuse to discipline them. Probably the 2 biggest reasons things are the way they are now.

17. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    new yorker shoe laces, breakdancing, fraggle rock, the incredible hulk, my grand father jack he was the roughest toughest son of a bitch but he looked like carry grant and carried himself like james bond. they don't make them like that anymore.

18. Nov 17, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC

You hit the nail on the head! Great point!

19. Nov 17, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I miss filling up my 73 VW bug for 3 bucks and driving for 2 weeks on it. I miss the old general store in my hometown. I was talking with my sister about it last week. I can still picture myself walking up the stairs and opening the glass and wood door, and I can still almost smell the inside of the store. Big glass penny candy counter on the right, Coke cooler in the front, big manual cash register on the counter. I miss being able to find things that are made in the USA, I always check, and not much everyday stuff is made here anymore.:mad:

20. Nov 17, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    There's probably more things that I don't miss than I do. Like....the spankings & discipline (my dad was strict), the powdered milk, the koolaid that rotted my teeth, forcing me to eat brussel sprouts & liver, finish your plate, and mom calling me at dusk (how embarrassing).

I miss being young & carefree. No job, no responsibilities, no TO DO lists, and the only thing I had to take care of was my bicycle, my leather baseball glove, & my skateboard. Life was good!

Products Discussed in

To Top