1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's see what you have to say...AC VS DC

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ryanf, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Jan 1, 2009 at 5:08 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    DC. You will be very happy! Plus not only the new baby, congrats on that by the way. You can carry adults in the back. I'm 6'3" & can fit comfortably.

You mentioned you love your current truck, but do not have time for constantly maintaining it. Not much to do on the Tacoma. I have 103,000 miles on my 05. All I've done is oil changes, spark plugs once, cleaned the K&N air filter twice, brakes twice(I tow a boat), tires just put on my 3rd set. My truck still runs just as strong as it did when it was new. I changed my oil every 5,000 miles as per Toyota's recommendation.

When you get your new truck check on here for the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) & get it taken care of before the warranty expires.

Good luck,
    Sean

2. Jan 1, 2009 at 5:30 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Umm, DC congrats on your new baby

3. Jan 1, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    centurion

centurion Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport,double cab, 4X4, auto, speedway blue
    Air-Raid air filter, de-badged,custom grill,hood and tailgate struts
    I bought the DC mostly to keep my hunting stuff in a secure place but the extra doors and seats have been real handy. I mostly haul deer but have stuffed the bed with fire wood and it held more than i thought. Like someone else had said, get the bed extender and your good to go. I like the way the DC looks at first i wasnt sure but now when i see any truck with a regular cab it looks funny, incomplete.

4. Jan 1, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    We have successfully put my granddaughter's child seat in the back of my '09 Access Cab but it is a real PITA. If I was carrying her on a regular basis I would have bought the Double Cab. When I have her by myself I put her in the front seat with the air bag off. You will be much happier with the Double Cab and children.

5. Jan 1, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    ryanf

ryanf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    The dodge only has 156K on it, just a baby, my friends got the same truck at 700+ on the clock.

I don't think it looks bad, but i cant get a manual. I am torn because I know the DC is prob better, but I know for 95 of the time the baby will be in my wives car...

6. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    ryanf

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Rain Visors,
    I think I am just going to have to go to the dealer and see them up close and see what i like. The bed size on the DC short bed, is a little tough for me, ATV will be almost falling out. But I am starting to see why the DC is so nice. THose 4 dours seem nice. Even though the baby will never be in there, it's nice to know she could be

Question. On the AC do those back doors open? or do you have to climb into it behind the front seat.

7. Jan 1, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    As others have said, get the DC LB if you don't like the SB.

8. Jan 1, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think the AC has 2 rear suicide doors? That old 12 valve still has lots of life in her.

9. Jan 1, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    The AC has 2 suicide doors. Very easy to get in the back.

Go with the DC. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, you will be glad you got it for the extra room.

10. Jan 1, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I would have to say DC also, have two yound girls and they never had issues. They both were in booster seats when I got it in March of 05.

Alot more room in back, when hunting I can take most if not all my gear and put it in the back seats, (folded down).

Easy to open and easy to close.

11. Jan 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    red taco

red taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    La Verne, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Impulse Red Pearl
    I love the Access cab. If its mostly going to be just you driving it go with that for sure. You can definitely fit a car seat in the back on the few occasions that you have the kid in the truck.

12. Jan 2, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    ryanf

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Rain Visors,
    Yea it does, I just had a new interior put in it two, but It still drives like a 3/4 ton 15 year old truck. Tops out right around 70. And Is great for just me, but with just the bench up front and no passenger side air bag, it's not the greatest car to keep as my daily driver, and NO way i would put c baby in there. I could easily run that truck another 300K. but I'm sure something will go wrong eventually, even if it's small and my job doesn't take kindly to "my car wont start"

I love all the opinions, but I think that I will have to go to a dealership and really play with the AC and DC....If I can get the kids in the back of the AC, on the 1% of the time i need to I will go with that, I've had a DC Ram 1500, the back seat is nice, but I never drive with anyone and it jus collects garbage.

I wanted to sell my Dodge, and keep my CRV ( 179 on the clock ) until I found the taco I wanted, but maybe ill just keep the 3/4 ton a bit longer...I hate car shopping.!!

13. Jan 2, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DC and long bed, i carry all my tools, including a huge ass 12 inch Hitachi mitre saw in the rear seat platform. leaves the bed open for materials, and other not-so-important tools.

14. Jan 2, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I'd go DC, because you obviously like keeping your vehicles, and there will be a time when you'll say man I should have gotten the DC. I couldn't imagine trying to put my car seat and all my daughters stuff in an AC. Love my DC.

15. Jan 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    Access cab for me, I dont have kids so a DC doesnt appeal to me at all, I buy a truck for me, not my friends

16. Jan 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Back and forth...not surprising.......depends on your personality what you might do. Is this statement you? Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it....

To me, the standard and AC cabs look great.......
    7000 miles on mine, wife made me get DC, only had someone in the back for maybe 800 of those miles....also laid the back seats flat in hunting season to carry guns and clothes, all in the cab......would not have anything but the DC!
    Most the time I forget all that room is there.........till I need it!

17. Jan 2, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Double cab??? Puhleeeese! Might as well just buy a SUV if you need that much passenger space.... IMHO, of course. AC has plenty of room for a baby seat and doors make for easy entry/exit.

18. Jan 2, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
  19. Jan 2, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    ryanf

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Rain Visors,
    it's only a foot difference? I am on Edmunds, comparing the Taco AC, DC and dont hate but the ranger since they are giving them away. Right off the bat the ranger is out, the TACO got 5 stars in all crash tests ranger got 4. Plus I had an old ranger and SR5 and like the Toyota, better reliablity.

I didn't realize that the bed Size is 6ft on the AC and 5 FT on the DC. I thought the bed on the DC was MUCH MUCH smaller like 4 ft. I prefer the look of the access cab, but I have to say, it would be nice to be able to put the kid in the back now and then with out a fight, and to gain a full back seat and only loose 1ft of bed space....well that 1 ft makes a difference because with the gate down I only have 6.5 ft vs 7.5 with the AC so drywall and ply wood would hang off..

but now im all off. i was positive i was going to go AC. And just occasionally haul the kids, but for only 1 ft, I might have to go DC 6cyl, 6 spd, TRD

20. Jan 2, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    some long bed specs:
    http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html

click on dimensions....73.5" for the long bed

Products Discussed in

To Top