1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's see what you have to say...AC VS DC

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ryanf, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Jan 2, 2009 at 6:24 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    The 5' bed is a "short bed" but is called a 5' bed - only available on the double cab.

The 6' (actually 73.5") bed is considered a short bed - available on the standard cab, access cab and double cab. The Tacoma does not have a "long" bed.

2. Jan 2, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    jedirye

jedirye Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    I am kind of in the same position as you (minus the kid). I have a Crew Cab Frontier now and have never utilized it nearly as much as I had thought. I hear they are better for resale value. I am looking at the AC because I like the way they look, suicide doors, etc. AC for the win!

-rye

3. Jan 4, 2009 at 12:53 AM
    bledsoe3

bledsoe3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB Limited
    SnugTop, Air Lift bags, Bilstein 5100's up front, AAL in rear, 275/70/18 BFG AT TA KO2, URD TCAI, URD Cat Back
    Check the Toyota web site.
    http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/features.html?trim=7190

They call it a long bed.

If you have a kid you need a double cab. I checked it all out before I bought a truck. You need four doors so your front doors are not open in the rain while you load the kids. The Taco has more leg room in the rear than the Nissan and Chevy/GMC. Ford does not offer four doors in a mid size. The long bed has 6' + which is as long as some full size trucks with four doors. I couldn't be happier than I am with my Tacoma.

Adding the extras is just a bonus.

4. Jan 4, 2009 at 2:41 AM
    HILOTOY

HILOTOY HILOTOY

Member:
    From Big Island
    Vehicle:
    05 trd 4wd off road,tow pack

+1:D

5. Jan 4, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    There are sooo many situations where the extra room of the DC comes in handy. Especially if you have crumb crunchers in tow. I remember buying mine then immediately throwing in a booster seat in back. DC LB's are long trucks to park but the turning radius isn't all bad compared to others.
    It's really you deciding LB or SB. I like the LB for more hauling and more stable for towing.

-- Then after you buy one you are stuck with the rest of us here at TW spending money on your ride like a crack addict at a methodone convention.:D

6. Jan 4, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    mlbdriver

mlbdriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    Go Fast Camper ARB Dual Air-Compressor Pro-Comp 7089 17x8 BFG AT KO2 265x70x17
    Double Cab for sure. I had a Xtra cab, not enough room for my daughter, so got the double cab.

7. Jan 5, 2009 at 4:23 AM
    ryanf

ryanf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    Haha, I drive a 97 Dodge 2500 Diesel now, and my last truck was an '05 F350 Quad cab long bed ie 8ft bed, and 24ft bumper to bumper in NYC....I think I can swing it haha....but it def is longer then the SB

I think I am going to go DC with the SB, and the manual. I want the AC, and LOVE the AC but It will be nice having the extra room, even if it is never used. The only thing that might sway me, is the green. If I can get a much better deal on the AC , either way will keep you guys informed. Going to get the Dodge on Ebay next week, and then find a day to go shop.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Jan 26, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    ryanf

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Rain Visors,
    So after searching and searching, i've decided to not be selfish. I am going to go with a DC, Short bed, with the V6 and a 6-speed, TRD Off road package. I went and looked and drove them, the 4 banger was good but just a little too sluggish. The 6 with the 6 speed is great. I still love the access cab but the back seat is much nicer, and I'd kill myself if I had to put a car seat in the AC more then once or twice a month....( took me 45 min to get it in there ). And In 2 years when my daugter is in a booster seat, it will be way too tight in there. The DC, has a smaller bed, but the full back seat is great, and I travel for a living, so I always have a roller board carry on bag, and that gives me a place to put it. I loved the AC, but guess i have to look out for the family too.

I am concerned about the plastic bed, I thought that was a liner, Don't want to crack or split it.....

Looks like I'l use my big dodge for the rest of the year and see what i can get on sale at the mid and end of 09....

I am gonna miss driving a dump truck, haha. But a clean new truck that requires a lot less maintence seems like a nice choice...

9. Jan 26, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Sounds like you will be happy with the choice. I went with the AC and find it has plenty of room behind the seats for mjy gear (I'm an auditor and carry printer, scanner, 2nd LCD screen and laptop). When I go out of town I can get my luggage in the back, too, though I am installing an Undercover toneau to handle that part of the load. 90% of the time I am by myself in the truck and can use the passenger seat, too.

I don't have my granddaughter very often and when I do I usually have her in my wife's Murano. I have carried her in the Taco one time but put her in the front seat facing backwards with the airbag off. Getting the seat in the back of the AC is an exercise in frustration.

10. Jan 26, 2009 at 12:44 PM
    ryanf

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Rain Visors,
    Yea, I couldnt get it in there, And I am by myself 90% of the time, and I could use the front seat and a rear facing seat for when I have my daughter, but then my wife has to sit in the back. Plus I will have the taco for more then a year or two, so when that booster comes into play it's just going to be too cramped. It sucks too, because i really don't like the DC...that AC looks so great. but what can you do.

I'm still worried about the bed, I have a steel goliath of a truck now, and beat it a lot. Just don't want to kill my taco...

11. Jan 26, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    DC Longbed...best of both worlds

12. Jan 26, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    The bed is a composite that is a whole lot stronger than you think. It combines strength with light weight that no steel bed could come close to matching.

13. Jan 26, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    ryanf

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Rain Visors,
    I was going that option, but if I am going to cave on the AC, I am gonna have a stick!!

14. Jan 26, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    ryanf

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Rain Visors,
    I guess it's just not what I am used too, then again the bed in my dodge, is rusted all over, and dented all over.....and is very very heavy, so maybe they are onto something...

15. Jan 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Just read thru the whole thread and I think you are making the perfect choice. Good luck with your new Tacoma, you're going to love it.

16. Jan 26, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    tacoma08MZ

tacoma08MZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    tinted head/tail lights-blacked out badges-3 inch tuff country lift 33 inch nittos-black steelies custom spare bed mount-hilift-weathertechs-kenwood dnx5120 dvdnav headunit-remote start-painted grille surround-fog lights-grillcraft black mesh grille
    def dont worry about the bed, i just drilled through mine the other day to mount my hilift and i was suprised at the effort it took, there pretty tough and like you said no dents or rust like your dodge :D

17. Jan 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    tacomadude1234

tacomadude1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Magnetic Gray SR5 TRD Offroad
    AFE Cold Air Intake, MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, 5% Window Tint, TRD Seat Covers, Billet Grille w/ logo 3.5" Toytec Coilovers and 2.5" AAL rear LR UCA's 1" Rear Block Kit Extended Skid Plate
    Looks like you have heard enough, but definitely the DC. I think the AC will just become a junk collector for you, and then you won't be able to fit a car seat back there anyway! My friend had a 4x2 DC Long bed automatic tacoma. He quickly traded that for a 4x4 DC short bed manual. The bed size difference really was not that big of a deal.

Products Discussed in

To Top