1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's talk about alignment (keeping alignment)

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by Mxpatriot, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Oct 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    What are you guys doing to maintain alignment? I am in need of an alignment after swapping coil overs and I want to see what I can do to hold alignment off road.

2. Oct 17, 2010 at 4:56 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Use the Total Chaos alignment tabs and once you get everything straight tack weld the cams. That is the only way aside from converting to heims. If you're on a budget, just get the alignment done and put bigger tacks on the bottom and top of the cams, but they will still probably warp and bend the tabs.

3. Oct 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i have a set of light racing upper control arms. they have the 1-1/4'' nut on top that holds the ball joint in place. it's very very strong, but that is the most likely place for my alignment to go bad (if the nut/ball joint slip). when i got it alligned, i had the tech put the ball joint all of the way to the outside of the control arm. twice now, i've hit stuff hard enough off road to slide the ball joint assembly in. all i have to do is losen it, slide it back out, and torque it back to spec. i'd much rather the nut move and have to reset it, than the next weakest point, which would not be a 2 minute fix.

but like what was said above, reinforce the alignment tabs. if you really want to drop some money, you can get the all pro steering upgrade (stronger tie rods, and uniballs instead of ball joints)

4. Oct 17, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    lets see some pics of the new shocks, chase

5. Oct 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I'm already running AP steering, as I'm on AP LT. I'm thinking I'm just gonna have the shop align the truck and mark the tabs.

And I will post pics soon Matt. Fox RR all the way around now. Plus a new rear bumper and front fenders.

6. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    06HAOLE

06HAOLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ford Raptor
    I added the Total Chaos alignment tabs and that helped a lot. Also get the Firestone Lifetime alignment warranty for around $130 and never pay for an alignment again. I get an alignment about every 3 months just because.

7. Oct 20, 2010 at 11:54 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.

That's what I do. Despite hitting a mountain of stuff and taking some abuse the tabs haven't moved. But if they do i'll know about it. And get the life time alignment deal from firestone as was already mentioned.

Products Discussed in

To Top