1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leveling kit

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Connorcc10, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Jan 20, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    Connorcc10

Connorcc10 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Pro
    Nothing yet
    K so I see threads posted about leveling kits. I hear mix reviews on how they can really mess up the truck in the long run. I have a TRD Pro so I'm not really that interested in swapping out the whole suspension for thousands when I can get the same look and feel with a leveling kit. I do some off roading about once a week so I know if I went with a all new suspension it wouldn't go to waste but wanted to get some opinions. Would I leveling kit do me just fine or with my off roading habits should I just go with a lift?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Jan 20, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    Midknight

Midknight Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road
    Why do you want a leveling kit on a Pro? It already sits higher than a TRD OR or Sport. Are you trying to fit larger tires?

As for the same look with a leveling kit (sure), same feel (no).

3. Jan 20, 2017 at 6:16 PM
    Correllia TRD Pro

Correllia TRD Pro New Member

Member:
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro, Inferno Orange
    Quick Shifter
    I also have a 2015 TRD Pro and I have the same question. I am looking to add bigger tires and wheel set up. From a 265/70/16 (stock) to a 285/65/18 or a 285/70/17 possibly. I figured that I would need to do some kind of a lift but didn't want to invest $$$$ into replacing the Pro suspension and wasn't sure if just leveling kit would be fine??

4. Jan 20, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    Why would you buy an overpriced TRD PRO and it's still not good enough to go off roading once a week?

A true person who goes off roading buys a TRD Off Road and upgrades the suspension.

boogie3478 likes this.
  5. Jan 20, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    A leveling kit on an already larger suspension would angle the driveshafts too much, you'd need a subframe diff drop at that point. They really aren't meant to be modified and you'd be better off trading with someone that has a regular suspension and adding a 3" spacer.

Pro's really aren't meant to be modified, you pay a lot and get a lot right from the start.

6. Jan 20, 2017 at 6:27 PM
    Toyoda Tacoma

Toyoda Tacoma Do or Do not there is no try.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Double cab, Long box
    Roof Rack, Step Bars, 3” Rough Country lift 265/70/17 Goodyear DuraTracs

Relax man, he just asked a question, No need to make hm feel bad about his truck!

7. Jan 20, 2017 at 7:32 PM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
    RELAX???

not in the ThirdGen forum...

8. Jan 20, 2017 at 7:41 PM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    Leave it stock.

9. Jan 20, 2017 at 10:45 PM
    Connorcc10

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Nothing yet
    Haha gotta love the guys that seem to be offended simply because another guy has a Pro .

A true person? Well I'm definitely a person, and I do in fact take my truck off the paved roads about once a week. Does doing that with a TRD PRO make me a false person? Not sure where you are getting at.

Just looking for a bit more clearance that's all thought you guys here on TW would be able to give some tips. Sorry you got your panties in a wad because of my question.

dont have too much fun with those pro wheels on your OR, maybe someday you'll man up and buy a pro, instead of just buying the unwanted scraps from a pro owner.

ChadsPride and adio like this.
  10. Jan 20, 2017 at 11:11 PM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    99’ Bro-Coma’s Revenge 3RZ 345k+
    Stock
    A Pro is what a Pro is, that's why you bought it. I wouldn't fawk with it. Slap on some 265/75's maybe some new wheels and call it a day.

If you're going to go big, sell the factory shocks now while they are new, and get a full suspension system. Whats another 4-5g's on a 40k vehicle. I think guys are getting $1200 for like new Pro shocks.

My .02 if it were mine.

ChadsPride and dYL0n like this.
  11. Jan 21, 2017 at 8:19 AM
    JoeCOVA

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Pros are mostly cosmetic. But he is right in the sense that most people buy the OR or below and modify it for real off-roading. Pros are factory mall crawlers.

You aren't going to get much additional clearance unless you completely replace the suspension which kind of nigates the whole point of buying a Pro. I'm in that camp, was looking at a Pro but bought the OR as I was going to modify it.

If you are off-roading in it fine now then it sounds like you don't really need more clearance or a new suspension. If you are looking to tackle some trails in the future then full suspension replacement may work best.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    dYL0n likes this.
  12. Jan 21, 2017 at 8:57 AM
    MVBassYak

MVBassYak Well-Known Member

Member:
    NeverNeverland MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRDOR DCSB
    I know some of what was said was a bit harsh but the correct message is there. If you want to lift it then do it now and sell your Pro suspension while you can get the most return on it. Otherwise leave it alone and maybe get different wheels and slightly larger tires.

dYL0n likes this.
  13. Jan 21, 2017 at 9:16 AM
    Kennedyusmc

Kennedyusmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Pro
    Still waiting for it
    I have a Pro.
    275/70/17s are more than sufficient for any off-roading I'll be doing. It's already at the ragged edge of power loss without gears.

I personally think the Tacoma is a poor platform for the level of build many attempt here (and people lift way more for aesthetics than actual need). 3.5L, IFS, etc. If I wanted/needed that a solid axle JK and a ton $ would be that level of the game.
    I actually sold one on 6" and 37s because it was impractical for D2D driving, wouldn't fit any garage, was a power pig, and my kids couldn't get in it. Taco Pro is near perfect balance of overland capability, daily driver/utility/and hardcore broness.

However, I've added a dual battery and steel bumper/winch and soon sliders and aluminum skids. 300 pounds of stuff before me and gear. I've lost about 1/2" already and would like to recover it, maybe trying to get another 1/2 to 1".

I'm considering the toytec 3/4 spacer lift for that, or contacting Fox to see if they could get me some 650 lb red front springs.

285s will be hell on power, you can slap em on but you will in all likelihood rub at lock and stuff. Your wheel selection and it's offset will likely affect that as well.

JoeCOVA likes this.
  14. Jan 21, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    I bought my wheels brand new from Toyota when I purchased my truck.

Man up and by a pro? Does buying a mall crawler that comes with stickers and upgraded stock suspension make you more of a man than the guy who ordered a fully decked out TRD OR and put some wrenches on it and upgraded the suspension to something more optimal than a stock pro? Ok.

JoeCOVA likes this.
  15. Jan 21, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    Kennedyusmc

Kennedyusmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Pro
    Still waiting for it
    Hey pot, meet kettle.
    Go reread your "real men build their off-road truck" inflammatory post.

JoeCOVA likes this.
  16. Jan 21, 2017 at 1:22 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    Wut

17. Jan 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM
    Connorcc10

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Nothing yet
    Buy* ;)
    Anyways, I love my pro. Nothing wrong with putting a wrench to something. But it's funny when guys talk down about a pro but will buy the lights, wheels, grill, etc..., to make their trucks look like one. Anyways just looking for some ideas preferable from someone who actually uses their truck to climb things not just throw mud. Those Louisiana mud puddles I hear are pretty crazy. I mean those smoky mountains are just massive. Seriously though, for off-roading advice I'm interested in talking with someone whose a little closer to the Rocky Mountains. If I lived in good ol' Louisiana I don't think I'd recommend a Pro either. Definitely overkill for those mole hills.

18. Jan 21, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    JoeCOVA

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    People in the rockies use Jeep crawlers! Pro is too expensive and too factory for anything real out there. Ok for fire trails and stuff though but so are some subarus.

I dont think the majority of people buy Pro parts to make it look like a Pro. I think most people will agree that the Pro grill in general is the best looking grill. There are more Pro owners out there that would like to believe everyone wants their truck to look like a Pro.

19. Jan 21, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    Cute

20. Jan 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    treimche

treimche Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fargo, ND
    Also curious about leveling my Pro. Not looking to do anything big. Typically with a leveling kit where you add a spacer it puts much more stress on some of the front suspension components. Upper ball joints wear and rip the dust boots open much faster, and CV boots are stressed more because of the added angle from lifting the front. Since the TRD Pro sits higher than the other Tacomas, did Toyota take those things into consideration and design the suspension a little differently, or did they just lengthen the spring/shock to add 1" to the ride height? Looking for something constructive here and will just have to learn to ignore/disregard the irrelevant nonsense posts.

Products Discussed in

To Top