1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Life insurance vs 401k

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by 2ski4life7, May 9, 2016.

1. Jun 14, 2016 at 8:49 AM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Woah! This has gotten a lot of posts lately. Well I did look here to get "advice", it was more so confirmation/what other peoples thoughts on things were with life experiences and such. I had an idea but just wanted to see how other people go about it. This whole retirement planning isn't too complicated especially for the majority of average earners like me. Most of the information can be boiled down to a few things. The life insurance discussion was another facet of what I wanted to know, and most of the time its just get term insurance. Bogleheads.org is a great resource, similar to Dave Ramsey but I believe has better investment guidance. Maybe it will help steer people to think about their retirement planning earlier than expected. Although I am somewhat young, I wish I had thought about this more 5 years ago.

1. Put into company 401k up to match then contribute to Roth(This will depend on your tax bracket)
    2. Max out Roth then company 401k (or vice versa depending on tax bracket)
    3. Have 6 months emergency fund.
    4. Term insurance if you have a family to support or want to pay for funeral expenses.
    5. Use Vanguard IRA or Fidelity and keep a watch on expense ratios
    -This perhaps is the biggest and best advice I believe I have gotten. Although my company 401k is not with those companies I checked my expense ratios of some of my investments and they are over 1.3%! I rebalanced my account to .72% ER which was the best I had. Some Vanguard funds have less the .05% ER!
    6. Goes without saying(and I will have this done by the end of the year) but pay CC's monthly!
    7. If you do get a financial advisor, get them to commit to a fiduciary standard or a single fee advisor. NOT one that makes commission off your investments!

steelhd likes this.
  2. Jun 15, 2016 at 12:34 PM
    nra4usa

nra4usa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Sport 4x4 White 4 dr
    So far, just a Hard Hat tonneau cover. Looking for mud guards and nerf boards.
    The stock market is like a roller coaster. The only ones that get hurt are the ones that panic and jump off.

bigfoote13 likes this.
  3. Jun 15, 2016 at 6:01 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I thought I unwatched this thread?!?

Launch21v likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top