1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lifted: 5100's with OME 2885 coils, rear wheeler's progressive add a leaf

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Plan_C, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Dec 23, 2016 at 2:47 AM
    Plan_C

Plan_C [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi all,

After a month of research, talking with various parts suppliers, late nights, and multiple beers I will be installing a lift with wheels and tires tomorrow for my girlfriend as a surprise christmas present. I'm mechanically inclined, but have no previous experience with vehicle mods. I've also never written on a forum before, but I found the information on this community so useful, I felt it only proper to give back in hopes someone else may benefit from my experience.

I settled on these suspension components, wheels, and tires after considering many options, lifts, reading hundreds of forum posts, and speaking to an installer at Wheelers off-road. (they are great to work with). It seems to be a great middle of the road lift for those who do mild off road driving and still want a to do a lift properly with quality components and achieve smooth handling.

Here's the goal: 2 - 2.5 in lift in the front and no rake (level ride)

Here's the budget: Lift, wheels, tires, installed and aligned less than $1900 out the door

Here's the truck:
    2015 Tacoma double cab, pre runner TRD, 4x2 magnetic gray
    Stock, 17" wheels with stock 265/65/17 dunlop tires

Here's the lift components:
    - Bilstien 5100's all around. Set at 0" (lowest setting in the front)
    - Old Man Emu (OME) 2885 front coils. (no plan for a aftermarket bumper or winch).
    - Wheeler's multi-leaf add a leaf 1.5" set 3 leaf progressive
    (should help maintain a smooth ride in the rear, single add a leafs I was told tend to be more stiff and bouncy in the rear with no towing or additional weight)

Additional components for purchased the lift:
    - New KYB front coil isolator's (KYB part number SM5413)
    - Old Man Emu FK29 Driveline carrier bearing drop kit
    - Wheeler's 1/4 Thick single strut top plate spacer (polyurethane, Driver's side only to prevent taco lean)

Wheels: I found there are far to many options out there
    - I finally picked the Pro comp series 7005 17x8 with 6 5.5 bolt pattern flat black.

The price was right and I think they will look great.
    (I also really like stealth custom series (SCS) stealth6 wheels in gun metal finish, they did not have any in stock and I couldn't afford the $900 price tag with the rest of the expenses but they are very nice)

- I went with the 8in width on the wheel (seems a lot of people do 9 to accommodate 285 size tires more properly). I wasn't sure she would like the look of oversized tires so for now this wheel size made for sense for my situation.

Tires:

- Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R17
    This was the best looking all terrain tire with great reviews at the right price for me.
    The 70 side wall will yield 1" larger size and still hopefully not require any trimming to prevent rubbing.

Parts costs:

Purchased from Wheeler's off-road

- Bilstien 5100 front x2 175
    - Bilstien 5100 rear x2 160
    - OME 2885 coil's 167.20
    - Wheeler's multi-leaf add a leaf 1.5" 159.95
    (comes with new U bolts)
    - Old Man Emu FK29 Driveline carrier 12.35
    - 1/4 polyurethane top spacer x 1 7.50
    - KYB front coil insulators x 2 20

- Shipping 60

Total 762.23

Purchased from 4Wheel parts
    -Pro comp series 7005 17x8 x 4 467.71

- Shipping Free

Total 467.71

Purchased from Tire Buyer.com
    - 4 Falken Wildpeak A/T 3W 265/70R17 518.88

- Shipping Free

Total 518.88

Tire installation and
    alignment estimate 135

Total 1883.82

I will be attempting the installation tomorrow so hopefully all goes well. Will take pictures and update with the outcome. Hopefully its smooth sailing....

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    ChadsPride and OhioTaco68 like this.
  2. Dec 23, 2016 at 3:18 AM
    ClemsonMGM

ClemsonMGM Even Firemen Need Heroes...

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Workin the pole!
    Vehicle:
    12 Ram 2500
  3. Dec 23, 2016 at 3:26 AM
    OhioTaco68

OhioTaco68 John 3:16

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma SR5 4x4 access cab Silver Sky Metallic
    AVS in channel window deflectors Predator steps Tinted front windows De-badged all chrome emblems Matte black tailgate lettering Matte black door badges Silver door sill lettering Weathertech mud guards Tacoma bed mat Interior LED lighting Lamin-X yellow fogs Hyper yellow DRL LED 3rd brake light bulbs CLEARZ 3rd brake light lens LED back up lights Access LITERIDER tonneau cover Console cover w/Toyota logo Hondo radio knobs NeoSupreme seat covers TRD shift knob Toyota Dark Satin Alloy wheels Toyo Open Country AT3 tires Red glovebox lettering Red vent rings/ control knobs Husky all weather mats Toyota bed mat
    Your girlfriend has no idea? If not then she will really be surprised ! That is a great Christmas present for sure. Please post pics of her finished truck
    Oh and .... welcome to TacomaWorld
    :mudding:

Masshole_And_His_Taco likes this.
  4. Dec 23, 2016 at 3:32 AM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    Subb'd for pics

5. Dec 23, 2016 at 12:57 PM
    SocalTaco15

SocalTaco15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Socal, Orange County
    Don't forget about the cost of an alignment! Budget blown!!

6. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:02 PM
    MadRiverTaco

MadRiverTaco Join TW, they said. It's free, they said.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black DCSB TRD OR "Caroline"
    King 2.5 Ext. w/ Compression Adjusters (Front & Rear), Dakars w/ D29XL, TC UCA's & LCA's, ARE CX, 17" SEMA Pro's, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, BORA spacers, Rigid Side shooter ditch lights, ATHF bedside reinforcements, OME carrier bearing drop bracket, extended rear brake lines, Northstar 27F battery, Yakima Jetsream crossbars, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, TRD Pro grill, URD TCAI, 5.7L Throttle Body, BensonX bedside tool mounts, fire extinguisher bedside mount, AMP research bed step, Redline Tuning hood struts, ECGS needle bearing mod, CV Boot slide mod, Differential breather mod, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Timbren Bumpstops, A-pillar RAM mount w/ cell phone holder, ProFX tow mirrors with turn signals and heat, "Raptor" lights, DEPO taillights, motorized Pop n' Lock
    He's got tire installation and alignment @ $135. Can't wait for the pics of this setup OP :popcorn:

7. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:09 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Welcome to the site. 885 coils will most likely give you a higher lift than 2.5" with a pre-runner but should not be higher than 3". My experience with them is that the average 2.5" height is what is gained on 4x4 double cabs long or short beds. Easiest method I find in doing the coils is the jack method. I also think this is safer than coil compressors. Search youtube for 5100 installation. The rears are easy as long as you have a C-Clamp. Also, people often forget about the sway bar relocation brackets. It's a good idea to install to move the sway bar away from the coils as it can come in contact during compression.

You may or may not need the OME carrier bearing spacer.
    I don't think you'd need the coil isolators as the truck is a 2015.
    Also the poly spacers will compress a little so the top 3 strut locknuts will have to be re-tighten. Good idea to check after 100 miles then again at 500 miles.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  8. Dec 23, 2016 at 1:10 PM
    SocalTaco15

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Socal, Orange County
    My bad!

9. Dec 23, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    Plan_C

Plan_C [OP] Member

Member:
    UPDATE: Thank you all for the comments and advice!

Yeah she has no clue. She's visiting her parents for Christmas and will be back Monday. I'm planning to just drive her by her own truck parked down the street and say "oh hey look its a tacoma like yours but lifted the way you want" And she'll say "Oh! please stop!" then after she oogl'es over it for a while, BAM the magic words "Merry Christmas Babe!"

I had not heard of the sway bar spacer till just now (it was inevitable I would overlook something in the project) but that looks like a good idea. Are you saying it is really only necessary for lifts 3in or greater?? I took measurements of my fenders on the 4 sides before and will do it after I take it for a short drive to let everything settle tomorrow and before I get the new wheels to see how much lift this has achieved initially.

Anyways, things went well today just a little slower than I had expected, Rain and some lack-of-the-right-tool issues caused a few road blocks.
    For the new U-Bolts on the rear add a leaf pack you need a very deep well socket (which I had to go buy) in order to torque them down due to the excess bolt coming through. (The stock ones were also just a bit to short to reuse, so I was stuck in the middle). Also just a heads up some WD40 is majorly helpful in getting the bottom on the rear shock into the shock mount on the axel.

Here's the before and the progress so far. The rear leafs went in without much of an issue, The new leaf pack looked like it was going to contact the stock spring retainer on rear portion of the leafs so I was planning on having to cut it off but it cleared by a 1/4in. I'm planning on finishing the front tomorrow morning before the tires and wheels get put on at 1pm. Will continue to update.... Should have close to a final product tomorrow.

Cheers

IMG_3524.jpg
    IMG_3526.jpg
    IMG_3528.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    New Wheeler's add-a-leaf progressive 3pack installed. Almost is to long for the rear stock leaf retainer. The parking brake braket was attached on the old bottom leaf (now removed) but you can still see it hanging there (grey metal piece) on the brake line. I cut it off, the brake line looked solid and there was no way to reattach the bracket without undue tension on the line.

IMG_3547.jpg
    IMG_3548.jpg
    Needed to go buy an extra deep socket to torque the U-bolts
    IMG_3549.jpg
    IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    ruffridha9, ChadsPride and IronPeak like this.
  10. Dec 24, 2016 at 4:10 AM
    Swamp Rabbit

Swamp Rabbit Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Texarkana, aR
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma LWB SR5
    Definitely following your progress. Looks good.

11. Dec 24, 2016 at 10:52 AM
    SocalTaco15

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Socal, Orange County
    Good man.

12. Dec 24, 2016 at 2:52 PM
    Plan_C

Plan_C [OP] Member

Member:
    Update: the front shock and coil install went flawlessly. The jack method on YouTube worked perfectly. Even though the truck is a 2015 I am glad I opted for new coil spring isolators. While the rubber on the old ones looked fine, the deep indent made it seem that the new coil would have to seat perfectly into the old impression marks or there would be gaps or it would not settle level. It makes sense to me that the new coils will settle better into fresh rubber. Could make no difference but for an extra 20 bucks it worth it. I also opted to add the OME drive line lowering kit. From eye balling the drive shaft before and after it definetly looks straighter with the lowering kit while before there was a slight angle at the joint. Again may not make a difference but it makes sense that the more you can keep things close to factory specs the less problems you will have down the line with vibrations and premature wear on parts. It drives like butter At 80mph even without an alignment yet. No noticeable vibrations, squeaks, or noises.

Heres the pre lift measurements, measured from the ground straight up the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender. Vehicle was on level ground

Driver front 34 3/8
    Passenger front 34 7/8
    Passenger rear 35 3/4
    Driver rear 36 1/8

Post lift before driving or moving the truck.

Driver front 38 3/8
    Passenger front 38 3/4
    Passenger rear 37 1/2
    Driver rear 37 3/4

Post lift after driving 50 miles

Driver front 37
    Passenger front 37 3/4
    Passenger rear 37 5/8
    Driver rear 37 7/8

image.jpg
    Drivers front with 1/4 polyurethane spacer.

image.jpg
    Passenger front

image.jpg
    Passenger rear

image.jpg
    Driver rear

At the tire shop installing the wheels and tires

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  13. Dec 24, 2016 at 4:28 PM
    Plan_C

Plan_C [OP] Member

Member:
    Here's the end result, it's raining so I'll have to take better photos but all in all I think it turned out great.

Everything went into spec with the alignment I was told. Had minor rubbing at full lock on the small front mud flaps so the shop took those off and now no rubbing. I may try to trim them and put them back on.

Thank you again to everyone who contributes to this forum!

Merry Christmas

TOTAL SPENT: 1934.07

I forgot the new lug nuts (duh....) 50.25 at 4 wheel parts

Pro Comp 24 - piece 12x1.5 Chrome Lug Nut Kit with extended shank

Blew the budget by 34.07 but I guess you can't win them all.

Merry Christmas everyone!

IMG_3565.jpg
    Alignment after the lift, wheels, tires. With stock Upper control arms (UCA).

IMG_3526.jpg
    Before
    IMG_3574.jpg
    After

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  14. Dec 25, 2016 at 12:28 PM
    Swamp Rabbit

Swamp Rabbit Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Texarkana, aR
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma LWB SR5
    Looks awesome. I think I am going to follow your lead on this set up.

15. Dec 25, 2016 at 12:31 PM
    SquirrellyWV

SquirrellyWV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Charleston, WV
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDSB Off Road 4x4
    Very nice, those wheels are sharp.

dziner likes this.
  16. Dec 25, 2016 at 1:17 PM
    Plan_C

Plan_C [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the support!

Anyone know what the ideal camber caster ranges should be post lift? I was told it was in spec, but then I've read that the caster should be somewhere around 2.3 or so?? Anyone have experience with this?

Here is the final lift height to the bottom of the fenders with the new tires.

Driver front 38 3/8
    Passenger front 38 5/8
    Passenger rear 38 1/4
    Driver rear 38 3/4

Looks to have gained just under 4 inches in the front. More than I expected but a half inch is due to the new tire size and as a member mentioned above I did not compensate for the deceased weight of the 2wd with the 2885 coils.

Also just a heads up, the Ubolt torque spec for the rear axle on the Toyota torque spec guide is WRONG. I believe it specifies 37ft/lb
    The parts guide from Wheeler off road specifies 70 - 80ft/lb and the after some checking I discovered there was more conversation about the Toyota spec having a typo. Just a heads up to anyone who may make the same mistake I did initially.

Also anyone have experience with brand selection for replacement upper control arms? The truck drives great and feels solid even on the freeway but after doing more reading it sounds like the replacement UCA's are recommended regardless. I've heard good things about the LR brand but has anyone used the rough country UCA's?? Found them here for about $285 shipped out-the-door. Just wondering if they have a good reputation.

https://www.suspensionconnection.co...NAPwrjdoGsW4fqB0P1YZvTJ-oURlFwjXGUaAuz28P8HAQ.

image.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who contributes to this community, I would not have been able to complete this project without your contributions.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    Lelandt, ChadsPride and ClemsonMGM like this.
  17. Dec 25, 2016 at 2:23 PM
    Ryans4×4

Ryans4×4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma sport double cab
    Kicker stereo system,5100s, 885 coils jba uca's, 285 75 16 stt pro's
    I have the same lift as you on a 2014 trd sport 4×4. I went with jba uca's and they got my alignment back in spec with 285/75/16 tires.

18. Dec 25, 2016 at 2:27 PM
    Plan_C

Plan_C [OP] Member

Member:
    Sweet thanks, I'll take a look at the jba UCA's. Do you know what your caster is set at now?

19. Dec 25, 2016 at 2:43 PM
    Ryans4×4

Ryans4×4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma sport double cab
    Kicker stereo system,5100s, 885 coils jba uca's, 285 75 16 stt pro's
  20. Dec 25, 2016 at 3:36 PM
    Plan_C

Plan_C [OP] Member

Member:
    Sweet, thanks man! 2.3 is what I've been reading is the right setting. Any insight into why the 1.8 would be considered "in spec" at the alignment shop?

Products Discussed in

To Top