1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lifting my 98 Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98tacogrl, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Apr 19, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    98tacogrl

98tacogrl [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    98 Prerunner TRD
    Hi Guys, a couple of questions...ok maybe several....First, I was at Uwharrie yesterday and saw some tacomaworld guys up there coming up the dutch john trail....I was so proud and glad to see so many tacomas! Anyway, I guess I kind of caught a bug seeing all those guys come through there and although I do not want to go crazy....I think I want to lift my truck!
    So, I have a 98 V6 prerunner ac 2x4 TRD. I have the dreaded thump/clunk and had planned on replacing my rear leaf springs altogether from wheelers off road. I read and see that replacing them seems to be the only way to fix this problem.
    Sooo....now that I am wanting to lift my truck, should I still purchase the stock height leaf springs or something else? I don't want an extreme lift as this truck is my daily driver and just don't want anything extreme anyway. Keeping in mind that I have already purchased the ivan stewart TRD 16 in rims to go on my truck and have plans to put BFG's on them. The recommended size for those rims is 265/70. I want my truck to look right ya know? Just trying to make sure I get the right stuff on the first go around. I don't plan on doing off-roading every weekend but it would be nice to know that I could go to uwharrie for the weekend and do most of the trails with no problems. Any help is greatly appreciated...as I am very new to all this but eager to learn from you guys.

2. Apr 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    socal19

socal19 TACOMA03

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma pre runner
    2.5" Front spacers, 16inch wheelers steel wheels on 265-75-R16 BFG All Terrain, N-FAB prerunner bar, Flowmaster Exhaust
    how big of a lift do you want

3. Apr 19, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    98tacogrl

98tacogrl [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    98 Prerunner TRD
    Like I said, I don't want anything extreme. I have looked as hundreds of tacoma pictures on this forum and can't find an example of a 98-99 truck that has a lift on it that I know that I like, or else I just haven't found it yet. Most are the 02-04. Anyone have any pics of a tacoma like mine that would give me an idea? I don't want anything over 3, probably less than that. I have a friend with an 03 and it has more clearance than mine stock but then again it has the 16 in rims already on it. So probably between 1-2.5?

4. Apr 19, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    well if ur going to go ahead and get new springs then get ones that will get u some lift
    and as for the front if i were u id go with bilistinen 5100 adjustable shocks

5. Apr 20, 2009 at 8:37 AM
    mk23

mk23 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eagle CO
    Vehicle:
    2002 Xtra cab 2.7 i4 4wd sr5 grn
    k+n cai, Leer cap, headers, 17 MT classics, 32" Cooper Atp, Bilstein 5100/ome 880, 20" Led bar
    Hey buddies, i also want to lift my 1997 4wd xtracab 4cyl 2.7. I found this on craigslist for 100$. It seems like a good deal, but is it garbage? Difficult to install? what would be the benefits of it, and what else do i need. It seems this would just lift the body, so it would look awesome, and i could fit bigger tires, but besides clearance and aesthetics, i need shocks and springs so i can go off sweet jumps right?

Performance Accessories - 3" Body Lift Kit

-Fits 1995-1999 Toyota Tacoma - 2WD or 4WD (see pic)
    -New in Box.
    -Opened to Verify Content.
    -Retail Value - $150.00
    -Local Pick-up Only.

Thanks For Looking!!

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Apr 20, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    dud122

dud122 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Riverdale Park, MD
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DC
    OME up front, Dakar in the back, Elite front bumper, Warn winch, Tactical rear bumper with tire swing/jerry cans/hi lift, Revenge Fab. sliders, Tundra brakes, Camburg UCA's, Safari Snorkle, FJ TRD wheels, Lights, CB, Switches, skids, LED's... OH MY!
    body lifts look bad IMO

you end up seeing the frame, bottom of the radiator, gap under the bed...etc.

it does nothing for increasing ground clearance as it is only setting your body panels a little higher

so to answer your question... it is garbage

7. Apr 20, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    look into a procomp 3 inch suspension lift. it should be around 500 bucks

Products Discussed in

To Top