1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lifting our Tacoma's

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by tacoma guy, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Dec 30, 2017 at 6:05 AM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    I am having a really hard time doing any kind of lift to my 2nd Gen Tacoma with out having vibration or shudder. It is very annoying! I did a front leveling kit and it worked out great. Now I would like to put just a 1in lift in the rear, which I did and anded up getting that Danm take off shudder. It's like WTH! I see so menny really nice Tacoma's going down the rode and think, why can't I have that with out all the issues? We want even talk about getting after market wheels... I guess I am just venting. :mad::confused:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  2. Jan 1, 2018 at 5:16 AM
    kzrpk5

kzrpk5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisonsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma
    TC Long Travel, SUA, Bed Cage, Fiberglass, 38", JD Fab LCA mounts, roll cage, manual hub conversion + Stickers!
    Sometimes lifting our trucks is more of an 'art' than it is a 'science' and what works for others does not always work on yours. Sounds silly but seems to be true. Anyway, I went through some of the lifting pains and trial and errors on my previous truck-2008 Tacoma. First I had the front driveline vibration and then the add-leaf in the rear chattered and the shudder. This time around with my 3rd Gen I researched and combed through this forum for a variety of opinions and experiences with lifts and problem solving Q & A. I now have a lifted Tacoma with no issues whatsoever. I installed the ECG bushing in the driver side axle shaft, used a carrier bearing drop and a angled shim in the rear to retain the proper driveline angle. I do not like block spacers on rear leafs so I went with a replacement leaf pack. This approach takes more time and cost more $$ but in the end you get a finished product that is very satisfying and mechanically sound. Now having said all this, my son lifted his 2015 4 runner with and E-bay $150 spacer kit and has driven it for 8 months without problems. So he just proved the Old Man wrong on his "do it right the first time" approach. Well, like I said sometimes it is an 'art' and not a 'science' but take comfort in knowing that it can be done and other have done it. Your rear drive line shuddering is solvable. Research this forum and you will find the answers that other have paid in blood for.

3. Jan 1, 2018 at 5:25 AM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Reformed Taco driver in a GX460
    Toyotas can have vibe problems without even lifting so don't sweat it to much. There are a couple good videos for how to measure working angles of ujoints. Find them, download inclinometer app, install block, measure, adjust, done. Pick up some 3/8" washers to use as shims for the carrier bearing. With only 1" lift for the rear it's doubtful you will need degree shims for the axle, you might though and won't know what to get till you measure the angles.

4. Jan 1, 2018 at 5:29 AM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
  5. Jan 1, 2018 at 5:37 AM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Getting rid of the vibes isn't to hard it's just time consuming. Patience is important. Use washers for dropping the carrier bearing, that will allow you to get it right on. It's doubtful you will need degree shims at the axle but the only to know is to measure.

6. Jan 1, 2018 at 10:35 AM
    tacoma guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    Thank you for the replys. I appreciate all the info and the video. I did watch it twice just to understand it. Your right it takes a lot of messing with it. I did try 1/4" drop shim on the carrier bearing with on luck. Maybe I should try the washers so I can add and subtract as needed. At any rate, I just need to find the time to mess with it. I just started a new job and it's taking a lot of my time. Thanks again for the info !

7. Jan 4, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    tacoma guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    OK so after whatching the video. I took some measurements and if I did it right I have a 0.5* working angel on the center U joint stock higth.... Then I jacked up the rear 1in. Which is what I want to do and I come up with a 2.5* working angel on the center U joint ?... That just makes no sense to me that 1 in. Would make that much of a difference.... So providing my measurements are right, do I do a axel shim or carrier bearing shim ? Also if I need to do an axel shim what degree shim? This shit is got my head spinning! Any help would be very much appreciated !

Edit : I should tell you the only symptom that I am having is a take off shutter between 5 and 7 MPH when I had a 1in. Lift out back. No ather vibration.

8. Jan 4, 2018 at 2:50 PM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    You would need to check the angle on both side of rear diff ujoints to know if you need shims at the axle. Right just get some washers and put them between the CB and the frame. The recheck that angle.

9. Jan 4, 2018 at 2:51 PM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Maybe start with 2 washers on each side. I have 5 on each side but I also have 2.5"+ of lift in the rear.

10. Jan 4, 2018 at 2:53 PM
    tacoma guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    Not quite sure what you mean by both sides of rear diff ?

11. Jan 4, 2018 at 2:55 PM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    At the yoke flange on diff and then past the ujoint on the driveline.

12. Jan 4, 2018 at 2:57 PM
    tacoma guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    Before I removed the 1in blocks I did put a 1/4in spacer on the carrier bear and it didn't help.

13. Jan 4, 2018 at 2:59 PM
    tacoma guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha ! I will recheck it. Thank you!

14. Jan 4, 2018 at 3:00 PM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    If I had to guess, I would say lowering the CB some will take care of it.

15. Jan 4, 2018 at 3:06 PM
    tacoma guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    I will have to put the blocks back in and play around with it some more. Thank you for all the suggestions. Much appreciated!

Products Discussed in

To Top