1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

light bar price differences.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Lthompson, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Mar 21, 2021 at 5:30 PM
    Lthompson

Lthompson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Im looking to get a light bar, and also fog lights for my new BAMF hybrid bumper. Looking hard at Diode dynamics for fog lights. Possibly looking to run a amber SAE fog light, a white combo light, and then the SSC2 in white facing more outwards toward the ditch in the bumper. But looking at the 30 inch light bar for the middle, the price difference is crazy between brands. For a DD 30 inch is only around 320, but for a Heretic, rigid, or Baja, its around 800+... so, why are DD a leader in Fog lights with comparable prices to others, but yet the others are twice the price and more for a light bar of equal size? what are the differences, and why would i go with one over the other? thanks

2. Mar 21, 2021 at 6:03 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  3. Mar 21, 2021 at 6:18 PM
    Lthompson

Lthompson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    yes, ive been reading through that, which is what made me look into diode dynamics. Was originally looking at baja and heretic. But pricing the light bars, the prices are dramatically different

4. Mar 21, 2021 at 10:52 PM
    Singer

Singer Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sing
    Edmonton, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD-Off Road 4x4
    I bought Diode Dynamics 18" LED Light bar and been pretty happy with it. The nice option with Diode Dynamics is that you can change the lens colour from clear to amber or driving lens to wide later on.

Afilao likes this.
  5. Mar 21, 2021 at 11:11 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    You get what you pay for, for the most part.

My Rigid lights have only ever been out output'ed by a Baja Designs of almost 2x the cost.

Some lights might be close in brightness but the seals and lenses aren't as good or they don't have the same quality of coatings or protections such as under voltage over voltage, short circuit, wrong polarity, or A/C protection, warranty, repairability etc etc.

For instance I have one Rigid pod I bought used the previous owner had cut off the sealed deutch connector to use a more common one unfortunately and condensation built up and killed one diode but the other 5 still work and it's still brighter and more useful than most other pods, few other lights are circuited up like that, if one diode fails it takes out the whole light usually.

Another major consideration is the actual lens, on the Rigids they're high quality polycarbonate, they've got pretty good scratch protection for polycarbonate, and I have had mine on my truck for several years now and they still look brand new, a guy at work I noticed put a light bar on his truck and within 6 months the lens was beginning to yellow and the body was being to fade and chalk, the paint was chipping and the aluminum underneath was corroding as well as his has considerable condensation inside and I know my truck sees more direct sunlight and offroad use than his.

So yes there's more to an expensive lightbar than just paying for the name.

Don't cheap out on lighting especially if you plan to depend on it.

Now that said my rear facing lights are cheaper as I don't depend on them like I do my forward lights but they are still good.

I scooped most of my lights up via group buys, discounts and used sales which is how I have the amazing lights that I do on my truck without breaking the bank.

So it really depends on how much you feel you need the light and how severe the use is going to be.

If it is just for the look get whatever and just maintain it, maybe repaint it with better paint etc. If you feel you need the light or will depend on it working and lighting the way at speed at night there is in my opinion no substitute for Rigid and Baja Designs.

PXL_20210112_151625007~2.jpg

6. Apr 1, 2021 at 7:08 AM
    Aws123

Aws123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 tacoma trd off road
    From my understanding, the DD ss3 pods TIR optics and build are a bit more advanced than the light bars. I had an 18in bar before in the driving pattern and it was awesome. Great focus without much stray glare, but i wasnt a fan of the 6000k leds. Too much eye strain. I now run their ss3 pro pods with the driving optic and i did the clear lens swap on the yellow lamps so i have 4000k color. They are awesome and very easy on the eyes. Super bright and focused. I run them wired to my high beams and they are all the light i need for distance. I also run ss3 pro fogs in yellow for near field which are also a ton of light with a very wide spread.

Lthompson[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 1, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    jwizzmasterwet

jwizzmasterwet 2019 TRD OR Cavalry Blue #SUPERCHARGED #METALAF

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue TRD Off-Road #SUPERCHARGED
    INSTAGRAM: JWIZZMASTERWET #SUPERCHARGED #METALAF #HARAMBE PERFORMANCE/FUNCTIONAL UPGRADES: -URD Supercharger -Sound Deadened cabin with Noico Solutions 80mil -Skar Audio full pro-audio setup (2xtweeters, 4xmids, 3x10inSUB) SUSPENSION/LIFT/TIRES: -ICON Stage 4 (650lb coils) -ICON RXT Leaf Pack (Option 3), -285/65/18 BFG KO2 FUNCTIONAL(eye candy?): -Rave OffRoad roof rack -Rave OffRoad 43in light bar (amber + white) -Rigid led PODs (x4) (mounted along roof rack) -Westin Side Steps -BakFlip tri-fold tonneau cover -VOODOO Fabrications hi-rise crossbars -Pelican Case loaded with recovery gear(mounted to roof rack) -Smittybilt gen 2 overlander tent -Smittybilt recovery boards -HI-Lift Jack COSMETIC AND NON-PERFORMANCE UPGRADES: -Custom front grill -Bumper Shellz rear bumber cover -Meso Customs full interior chrome delete -Interior of cabin lined with sound deadening material (Noico Solutions 80mil) -Rear seat delete and custom shelf (home-made) AUDIO (SKAR AUDIO): -2x pro audio tweeters, 4x pro audio mids, 3x 10in subwoofers (SKAR AUDIO) -1x RP-1200 amplifier (mids), 1x RP-2000 amplifier (subs), 1x SK-400 amplifier (tweeters) (SKAR AUDIO) -Audio crossover
    Check out VIVID LUMEN and use my code: TONYA20 for 20% off. They have a wide variety of light bars and pods. Even sell LED bulbs. They also have a "switch-pro" variant at a good price.

8. Apr 1, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    Brownie_Man

Brownie_Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2019 Off Road
    If it helps you decide, I have DD 30" hidden light bar in combo white. It is just a little brighter than my stock high beams, but throws the light wider. I am satisfied with the purchase.

9. Apr 1, 2021 at 8:15 AM
    Aws123

Aws123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 tacoma trd off road
    Mounting location also has a huge effect on lights. The higher up the more effective. I ran the 18inch DD in the lower grill and now i run the pods behind my upper grill with cutouts. Pretty big difference. I bet that 30inch bar would work better higher up, even if partially blocked by a grill. On second thought..depends which grill you run lol20210401_100907.jpg

10. Apr 3, 2021 at 2:18 PM
    Surfguygriff

Surfguygriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rigid all the way man!

Headlights:
    Hikari Ultra LEDs on High and Low in factory projectors.
    Fogs:
    Rigid 360 SAE in Yellow with Rigid Toyota trim kit
    + Rigid Dual 6" SAE SRs in Yellow on custom mounts and separate switch
    Driving bar in grille:
    Rigid 30" Driving/Spot combo bar with trimmed Pro grille.
    Ditch lights:
    Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Meso mounts
    Roof bar:
    Rigid 40" curved RDS spot beam on Rough Country OEM rack mounts with KC hidden wire channel
    Mirrors:
    Meso puddle light and button kit (love this set up).
    Clear Lamix on everything.
    All run on new AuxBeam 8 button kit with auto dimming (surprisingly great product).

20210313_145704.jpg 20210313_145805.jpg 20210313_145619.jpg

Thatbassguy and Aws123 like this.
  11. Apr 3, 2021 at 2:26 PM
    jlemmond

jlemmond Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    Monroe, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470

It must get extra dark where you live.

Dr.Lou likes this.
  12. Apr 4, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    Surfguygriff

Surfguygriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sort of. I park on barrier beaches and light up surf breaks 500+ yards out with the bars for night surfing when all the tourists leave. Its works amazingly well and the second battery will run for a few hours with the engine off. The selective yellow fogs really help in late night winter blizzard driving on Maine-NH-VT trips between mountains.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  13. Apr 5, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    Tacospike

Tacospike Semi-Unknown Custodial Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    More hacked grilles in here that I’ve seen in any other thread. Props :bowdown:

Thatbassguy and Aws123 like this.
  14. Apr 6, 2021 at 2:54 PM
    TACOMA2NDGEN

TACOMA2NDGEN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROLAND
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 dcsb silver sport trd
    baja squadron pros
    I have DD ss3 and there series 2 as reverse lights
    I put a 30 ish inch light bar hidden and I used rough country moderately priced and have no issues in the past year its been almost a year already since I installed it
    Just another option for you5270F85A-1B8D-4C2A-ACA6-DB282C69D197.jpg1636CC2F-3D2C-4AC8-891A-E182CAE1EBD9.jpg

Brownie_Man likes this.
  15. Apr 21, 2021 at 12:51 PM
    squarenone

squarenone Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR 4x4 6sp-mt
    DD fogs are made in USA and the Max is actually the most expensive fog light option at ~$550, compared to the other brands around $350-400. They're all competitively priced since they're all made in USA and feature the brands highest tech. DD is the current leader since no one has a fog light that can match their light output/intensity currently, but you'll have to dish out extra cash if you want the best.

For light bars, DD is made in china where as Heretic, Baja, KC, and Rigid are made in USA. They also don't have the latest technology that their fog uses. This is why they're substantially lower in price. If DD ever decides to incorporate the optic and led emitters from their Max fogs, and made them domestically, they would be around the same price as the other high end big brands.

Lthompson[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top