1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light bar whistle noise help?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ambiguouse, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Mar 26, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    Ambiguouse

Ambiguouse [OP] do you even taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma PreRunner Double cab
    -coil spring double wishbone front suspension - rear leaf spring suspension with staggered gas shock absorbers - 16" styld steel wheels BFG tires - engine skid plate - off road tuned suspension with bilstein shocks - 20% front windows tint - limo tint back door widows
    I just installed my light bar it's a 50" curved Cree with some MCM brackets And there's this really horrible whistling noise it makes when I'm driving and past 50mph it starts sounding even louder and worse. So bummed about it how do I get rid of this noise? I heard from a few people to put edge trim on the back 4 scales and that'll make the whistling noise go away? Any suggestions on this would really help I need that whistling noise gone asap! :(

2. Mar 26, 2016 at 2:07 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Do exactly as a few people told you...

Ambiguouse[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 26, 2016 at 3:13 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Yep edge trim. What I did first, is use electrical tape (any tape will work) and covered each fin section. Then drive and see if the whistle still remained. It did not. So I stopped and peeled of one strip, drove, repeated until the whistle came back. That told me where the whistle was coming from. And put edge trim on those find. Mine I only had to put one strip on one fin. But mine was coming from a spot in the underside of the bar, and not the rear fins. But my bar is quite different than your average bar.

So multiple strips might be unnecessary and one strip might do it placed properly. I've also heard small foam inserts work too. Shoved in between a few spots on the rear fins. To help break up that wind turbulence causing that whistle. There's a thread on this. Called 'light bar whistle' something or other.

4. Mar 26, 2016 at 5:27 PM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    -coil spring double wishbone front suspension - rear leaf spring suspension with staggered gas shock absorbers - 16" styld steel wheels BFG tires - engine skid plate - off road tuned suspension with bilstein shocks - 20% front windows tint - limo tint back door widows
    Thanks man! I just bought some edge trim and I'm about to put them inside the scales hopefully it works cause if not I will be so upset haha

5. Mar 27, 2016 at 2:07 PM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    So I put edge trim and the 4 scales and it still whistles .. Not as loud as before put its still there. Any suggestion or other methods to get rid of it?

image.jpg

6. Mar 27, 2016 at 2:14 PM
    Skootter14

Skootter14 Upon my signal, unleash Hell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4D LB 4x4 Metallic Grey
    "a lot of stupid stuff" -Wife
    Just know that the light bar itself will create a lot of wind NOISE since its acting as a wall, pushing air out of the way. This noise you will never get rid of. I know you are referencing the whistle specifically, but I just dont want you confusing regular noise that you will NOT get ride of against whistling (and the whistling may come and go, mine does, which you have to accept to some degree with a light bar). :thumbsup:

7. Mar 27, 2016 at 2:50 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
  8. Mar 27, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Well that just sucks :( so everyone who has a bar mounted on top has the same issue ? Just some or worse than others lol

9. Mar 27, 2016 at 6:20 PM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
  10. Mar 27, 2016 at 6:26 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Not necessarily. Mine has no actual wind noise/turbulence. But it did have the whistle. Mine is completely silent now.
    :notsure: hardware store maybe? Or online somewheres.

11. Mar 27, 2016 at 6:28 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
  12. Mar 27, 2016 at 8:08 PM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Wow lucky you ! I'm so close to just taking off my bar and selling it cause I can't take the noise. What dos put on yours ?

13. Mar 27, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
  14. Mar 27, 2016 at 9:36 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    I guess. Ha. In that other thread, looked like he just put a few small pieces in. Didn't have to do this myself. Oh and to answer your question, what I did with mine, is a single strip of the edge trim. But again mine had a couple small fins on the underside. That's where mine was causing the whistle. You should really try the tape method. To localize it. You might be able to move those trim pieces around and get rid of it still.

15. Mar 27, 2016 at 9:42 PM
    tx novice

tx novice Foward momentum

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    OAHU
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4X4 TX PRO silver
    Trd, Cal Tech, Weather tech, Viper, Al's tinting . L.E.D's , Hide a Hitch or Chrome Stinger , Walker Evans Resi's w/AllPro 3" lift ,FLM, ProComp Xtreme MT2 , Diff Breather Mod, 4x4 Switch Light mod, Plastic Derped. Trailer Socket Relocate mod via Miles , 4:56 G2 gears. Blue Intake Spacer, S.S. Brake Lines F&R, Sway Bar Deleted, Roll-X, Pop-N-Lock Electric. Red metal TRD badges. Paid Off Mod- Chee Hu, Superbumbs(f),Timbrens(r).Pelfrey Bilt, Bamf, Urd. Cobra Heat Shield.CMC .Mishimoto (custom bracket by Nate), Powerstop, Rampage 50".Depo Taillights,SPPC Black Headlights, Rigid Industries. Factor 55.American AirFlow.
    20160327_190439.jpg 20150920_095002.jpg
    This is the best picture i have. I had it custom made with a zipper in the back. NO NOISE AT ALL.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  16. Mar 27, 2016 at 10:22 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Um, don't think that's quite what he's looking for. But a cool cover though. ;) Kinda excessive if you're doing that just to get rid of wind noise though. Trim or foam WILL work. Just gotta mess with it and find that sweet spot guys.

17. Mar 28, 2016 at 12:07 AM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    I think I might cover my side scales on the bar too see if that helps and completely cover the bottom 4 scales again hopefully it'll work cause my friends told me you can hear the whistle on the outside when I'm driving by aswell so overwhelmed :(
    Or I was thinking of just putting edge trim on all the scales but idk ...
    Hmm the taping method?

18. Mar 28, 2016 at 12:13 AM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Lol. Yes. I explained earlier in post #3.;) And there's a pic of that in that other thread I shared. Post #20. The white curved bar with the greenish test strips of tape he put on. To see if that made the noise go away which it did. Then that's where he insert the foam pieces I believe.

19. Mar 29, 2016 at 6:29 PM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Alright well the edge trim didn't work .. It still whistles .. :( Guess next I'm going to try the tape method and foam pieces .. Really hope this work agh :annoyed:

20. Apr 15, 2016 at 8:34 AM
    RG1

RG1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    3" lift
    Ambiguouse did you get your light bar to quiet down?
    I've tried the edge trim on bottom 3, I placed door trim ON/over the 3 fins themselves then hit with some heat from my heat gun (only 60 degrees today). I saw you put yours between the heat fins-did it work at all? Mine on the fins made a big difference but, depending on the wind, it comes back with the harmonic vibration as well, still not as quiet as I would like so I'll continue to tinker with it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top