1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light bar whistle noise help?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ambiguouse, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Apr 19, 2016 at 2:17 PM
    Ambiguouse

Ambiguouse [OP] do you even taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma PreRunner Double cab
    -coil spring double wishbone front suspension - rear leaf spring suspension with staggered gas shock absorbers - 16" styld steel wheels BFG tires - engine skid plate - off road tuned suspension with bilstein shocks - 20% front windows tint - limo tint back door widows
    right now I have like most of the bottom scales covered up with edge trim and I added a couple of foam pieces in the middle. It really did calm down the noise and specially the harmonica noise and turbalnce it would make passing 60mph. The whistle still there but not as bad as it used to be .. I just blast my music so I won't hear it cause I'm annoyed of it I couldn't find any other solution to make the whistle go away it sucks.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

2. Apr 19, 2016 at 2:25 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Does that bar have air inlets on the top/bottom? As in slots (almost looks like small vertcal fins) on the top and bottom close to the front of the bar, where the air enters, and is passed in through the bar and out the back fins?

3. Apr 19, 2016 at 2:33 PM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    -coil spring double wishbone front suspension - rear leaf spring suspension with staggered gas shock absorbers - 16" styld steel wheels BFG tires - engine skid plate - off road tuned suspension with bilstein shocks - 20% front windows tint - limo tint back door widows
    Doesn't seem like it ?

image.jpg

4. Apr 19, 2016 at 2:33 PM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    image.jpg

5. Apr 19, 2016 at 2:43 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Looks like the air inlet right here?
    IMG_20160419_143744.jpg

If that is the air inlet, you might try putting some electrical tape over it, and see if that helps. Mine has air inlets like that on the top and bottom side, with a small lip kinda like a fin, that allowed me to place my trim there and eliminated my noise. I have nothing on the rear fins. But again not the same bar as yours. But that might work for you. If that is the air inlet anyways. Maybe try shoving some small pieces in that crack. Notably the bottom side first. As that's where most of the air is getting forced more heavily into.

6. Apr 19, 2016 at 2:55 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    I means it could literally be anywhere though.. It could even be in one of these cracks/crevices!
    IMG_20160419_144725.jpg

That's why I suggest using electrical tape. Really flexible and easily peels off when testing. If it was still whistling and annoying me, I'd be going to town with the tape on it. Just cover every nook and cranny. Then drive and see if there's any noise. If not, then take one area of tape off, short drive and see if whistle remains. If not, stop and remove another area of tape. Drive again, and keep repeating until the whistle comes back. As soon as that whistle comes back, that last area of tape that you took off, will be the culprit. Fix and be done with it. A painful process in your case, as I got pretty lucky and only took a couple tape pulls and I found it, but sounds like you may have more fun doing it than I did. Heh.

7. Apr 19, 2016 at 3:05 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Even the mounts themselves might be causing the whistle. Or the end caps of the bar. I would try the simplest areas first. Then if all else fails, maybe get some duct tape (too tacky though) or some thick masking tape, and cover the ENTIRE backside as in ALL the fins completely. And see if the fins are actually the cause. That might be easier to do first actually.

Ambiguouse[OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 19, 2016 at 5:05 PM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good thing I have a lot of electrical tape ha. I will try it lets see how this goes. I was thinking about just covering all the scales from the back with tape but that won't look good at all and it'll look weird. But if it gets the job done. I don't care I'll leave it. And I'm surprised I didn't end up taking the bar off cause I can't make the whistle go away. I'll invest my money on a leveling kit that's what i need ha

9. Apr 19, 2016 at 5:42 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Well I didn't mean tape it off and leave it. Ha. I just meant for testing purposes. Lol;)
    Just to find where the whistle is actually coming from. Bedside like I said it might not even be the fins. That way you'll know exactly where it's coming from and can focus on that specific spot. Rather than just throwing trim and foam in random places.

10. Apr 19, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Soooooo I just finished taping off the air inlet top and bottom and I added another strip of edge trim on the very first top scale and it actually reduced the whistle like just by a tiny bit but I Immediately heard the difference! :eek: So it it had to be the air inlets !

11. Apr 19, 2016 at 6:58 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Hm. Well that's good. I was hoping those inlets would cure it completely though. Oh well. All I can say is keep messing with it. That would annoy me too. I'm sure you can eliminate it completely though. Just gotta find that sweet spot.

12. Apr 19, 2016 at 7:20 PM
    RG1

RG1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    3" lift
    Ambiguous, thanks for your posts! I haven't chased around with tape yet but the noise has quieted down significantly for me. Good luck and keep us posted if you come across the silver bullet for this one. BTW, when it's really windy outside is when I am getting my harmonics, it's been tolerable in the cab since my mods.

13. Jun 16, 2016 at 1:01 PM
    CountryDan

CountryDan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Calhoun GA
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD PRO DCSB 6 spd
    a lot of bad ass stuff
    great remedies here. I just installed my light bar this weekend, and knew there would be wind noise and was ok with that. But, damn:frusty:! that high pitch shrilling harmonica whistle, had me thinking about taking the bar off and selling it. Went to home depot and picked up a pack of air conditioning weather stripping for about $2 and 5-10 minutes of cutting and stuffing, the psychotic harmonica player on top of my roof is dead. Thanks guys for a great informative, helpful thread. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  14. Jun 16, 2016 at 1:09 PM
    Skootter14

Skootter14 Upon my signal, unleash Hell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4D LB 4x4 Metallic Grey
    "a lot of stupid stuff" -Wife
    what size thickness did you get? pics of package?

15. Jun 17, 2016 at 11:49 AM
    CountryDan

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Calhoun GA
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD PRO DCSB 6 spd
    a lot of bad ass stuff
    IMG_3539.jpg IMG_3540.jpg For the most part the annoying whistle noise is gone by probably 90% if not more. As I get more time, I may go back and probably add a few more spots of the foam strips into the fins of the light bar. Similar to how Ambiguouse the op did on his in post 21. A great solution that is friendly on the pocket. Probably easier than the door trim method. I know it took me longer to install the two strips of door trim that I have on the bar prior install, than it did for me to shove the foam into place. I guess I got lucky because the foam in the picture are the only ones I have added and it killed the sound for me.

16. Jun 17, 2016 at 7:32 PM
    Skootter14

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for that. I actually got some window sealer today because you said it worked for ya. heres to hopin! haha

CountryDan[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jun 21, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    CountryDan

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Calhoun GA
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD PRO DCSB 6 spd
    a lot of bad ass stuff
    Did you have any luck?

18. Jun 21, 2016 at 7:59 AM
    Skootter14

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    nope. it may have helped minor, but I cant really notice a difference. I currently have the door trim on the bottom 3 vanes. I used taped yesterday to cover the top and bottom horizontal slit that runs all the way across the light bar and still no help.

The most dramatic change I ever saw was adding the trim to the bottom 3 vanes. I am about to add a 4th one to see how much that cuts down again.

I would say it reduced it by about 50% so we'll see how another does

19. Jun 27, 2016 at 7:17 AM
    Ambiguouse

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    @Skootter14 @CountryDan ive legit tried mainly every remedy members have mention on here for the bar whistling I first put edge trim on 3 bottom scales and yes it reduced the noise by a little couples week passed then I ended up putting edge trim on all scales and again it helped it a little bit more but the noise was still there. Then I put pieces of foam in between several scales and now I taped some parts of the scales like I kinda give up haha I've gotten used to the whiskers noise but a not as loud as it was when I first installed my bar lol still wondering what I can put on my bar to actually make the whistle completely gone. I'll post a picture later when I have time my bar looks so ugly from the back haha

Skootter14 likes this.
  20. Jun 27, 2016 at 8:03 AM
    CountryDan

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Calhoun GA
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD PRO DCSB 6 spd
    a lot of bad ass stuff
    I guess I got lucky with my quick fix. First attempt and it was drastically better. As more time allows I'll go back and add some more foam pieces.
    But I know that whistling noise(not to be confused with the wind noise) can be intolerable.

Products Discussed in

To Top