1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light-Moderate off-road with Prerunner

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Kwikvette, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Mar 12, 2019 at 2:35 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette [OP] Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    I come to TW in search of some advice;

I spent a considerable amount of time reading/learning a lot about off-road suspension systems, costs, maintenance, etc. One poster said something that stood out; invest in recovery gear/etc. because the truck can do more than one would give it credit for.

So what would you recommend as some of the most useful recovery gear one should have when driving a stock Prerunner?

I live in Central CA and I plan to get into dispersed camping. I backpack regularly so we can keep this vehicle-related only. I've never travelled off road in a vehicle so I'd like to invest in some recovery gear.

So far I have an ARB snatch strap, ARB recovery damper, and a shackle hitch. I actually had to use this stuff already when I yanked out a Ford Focus that went into a ditch 2 weeks ago.

Aside from A/T tires, what more should I look into? I don't plan on traveling outside CA this year so the only terrain I'll see is mud/dirt/rocks (no rock crawling). Ideally, I would find/talk to locals that off-road regularly but working 12hr days, my only friends are those I shoot short/long range with.

PS I'm only 30 minutes away from Hollister Hills; never been and not sure I should even consider going at all?

Area51Runner likes this.
  2. Mar 12, 2019 at 2:40 PM
    Sebz13

Sebz13 appy polly loggies

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    03 Reg Cab, 99 3 Link SC ext cab.
    a dropped one and a high one
    The best recovery gear is.... 4wd.

Time to start gathering parts.

Then winch.

Rocan and Suprajim54 like this.
  3. Mar 12, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    tacom08

tacom08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB 2WD Rugged Trail Edition
    Flowmaster Super 10, K&N CAI, bumpers, LED taillights
    Maybe a frame mounted winch?

4. Mar 12, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    winch, maxtrax.... 4wd

5. Mar 12, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    I've checked craigslist regularly and I cannot find either the parts, or a donor vehicle. I've read through several 4x4 conversion threads and this is something I'd consider doing. In the meantime, I want to take it out and enjoy it for what it can do.

6. Mar 12, 2019 at 2:46 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    Hollister is a lot of fun!

Best piece of advice is when you're exploring new areas go with a buddy. Check out the nor cal section and post up when and where you'd like to go and see who will go with you -
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/northern-california.42/

After that, good tires, a winch, and start saving and collecting for the 4x4 conversion.

My 2wd prerunner (off road with a rear locker) made it up to the top of some hill in hollister which was a blast many many years ago with TW. Your truck is more capable than you think :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Mar 12, 2019 at 3:07 PM
    Sebz13

Sebz13 appy polly loggies

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    03 Reg Cab, 99 3 Link SC ext cab.
    a dropped one and a high one
    That’s the spirit, keep up the look! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve saved myself by airing down, so on board air or c02

8. Mar 12, 2019 at 4:06 PM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    From the looks of it right away, a front bumper/winch seems like the best idea.

Will order one in a few days once I decide which bumper to go with. In the meantime, I'll try to piece together the parts needed for a 4x4 conversion.

9. Mar 12, 2019 at 4:09 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    The best recovery gear is simply a well functioning brain. That means either not getting yourself into a situation where you need a recovery, or being able to safely get out of a recovery situation.

Absolutely you should go to Hollister Hills. You will be able to learn the limits of your truck in a more controlled environment. YOu can always turn around if it looks too intimidating.

Your strap and all that don't do any good if you don't have another truck with you to pull you out, so think about that.

A shovel and axe (hatchet) are super handy, and you can do a LOT with just those.

If you're alone, the only thing that will help is a winch. You don't *need* a Warn or anything, but something like a manual winch (heavy duty come-a-long) or a hi-lift (and the winch accessory kit) will work in a pinch.

Traction aids are fine, but unless you're in the desert, you can more than likely find nearby branches or rocks that can do almost the same thing (for free!).

Do you have a TRD with a locker? If so, that will help a lot. If not, I'd suggest looking into one. It won't be nearly as good as 4wd, but it's better than one wheel drive (open diff).

Go out, have fun, and DRIVE!

10. Mar 12, 2019 at 4:17 PM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    I only mentioned Hollister Hills because it's so close, and I've heard that's the 'spot' to check out. Don't know anyone that goes off-road though.

I will be getting a winch and front bumper so that'll aid in recovery in the event that I need it (and if I'm by myself).

Forgot to mention to everyone here, yes my truck does have a rear locker. Tacoma's near me are either beat to shit, or double what I wanted to spend for a 'toy'. I figured if I just sold an extra scope, I can buy the front bumper/winch and 4x4 parts (if I found them).

11. Mar 12, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Talk to @BartMaster1234, he's done the 4x4 conversion, and iirc it only cost about $1500 when it was all said and done. It takes some time to source all the right parts, but worth it in the end.

Yeah, winch is a good idea for sure. You may never use it, but it's there if you need it.

BartMaster1234 likes this.
  12. Mar 12, 2019 at 4:31 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    Yes, 4x4 swap 100%.

I did it for $1,500 doing all the work myself.

If you hunt, you can do it for even cheaper. @mechanicjon has done 90% of the parts he need, and I think he only paid $40 for EVERYTHING that wasn't traded.

13. Mar 12, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    $40?!

That (almost) makes me want to go buy a pre-runner and convert it, even though I already have a 4x4, lol

14. Mar 12, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    Brokebrute

Brokebrute Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma TRD
    Grey wire mod and 2 low mod
    The best way to learn to drive off road is to go out with experienced people. Look for local off road clubs near you you will find some good people there who will be willing to show you the ropes.

If you can afford a winch they are a nice tool to have. If you get one look up proper winching techniques and familiarize yourself with winching before need to use it. A good highlift Jack is an even better tool to have. With the recovery kit it can be used as a winch "a very slow tiring one". It is also a tool that is good to learn the proper use before you need it. The best advice I can give on off roading 2 or 4 wheel drive is know your limits and if you think you're getting stuck quit while you're ahead and start your recovery efforts. It's much easier to get unstuck before you're buried.

15. Mar 12, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    Wsidr1

Wsidr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2 x 95.5 Ext 2.7L & 3.4L A/T 4x4
    Make sure your alternator and battery can handle the winch's input reqs before dropping the money. Some folks upgrade their alt to 120-140amp and/or add a second battery. Search alternator upgrades GM or Jaguar.

Also, for the front bumper, consider the additional weight on your front suspension.

See how the upgrades cascade!

16. Mar 12, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Stock
    You read my mind before I came back to this thread and see you post.

Are the higher current alternators a direct replacement? I'll do a search really.

I already took suspension into consideration seeing as how I'll be adding weight to the vehicle. I would really like to avoid buying "budget" (IE OME, Bilstein 5100, etc) suspension to compensate for the added weight, only to decide later that I'll want better suspension (IE Icon, Camburg, Fox) later down the road.

Took me almost 10 years finishing up one of my Corvettes, and even then the suspension isn't completely dialed in for the track [insert facepalm here]

17. Mar 12, 2019 at 5:54 PM
    Wsidr1

Wsidr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2 x 95.5 Ext 2.7L & 3.4L A/T 4x4
    Yes, there are basically direct (W/H plug mod and spacer depending on eng type) bolt on. You can scour here.

https://tinyurl.com/yycsg5f4

18. Mar 12, 2019 at 10:13 PM
    Area51Runner

Area51Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    02 3.4 DC TRD PreRunner 4WD SWAP
    So many have mentioned it and absolutely agree - best recovery gear is going to be going out with someone. Look for others in your area, head out to a MOD Day - you'll definitely get to know everyone.

Second to that, take a look at this - don't need to have it all by any means but its good info. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/going-alone-single-vehicle-wheeling-safety.454083/

@Uphillshunter just completed his swap to 4wd - he's put together excellent info on it: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ap-w-twin-stick-and-shift-kit-and-b-s.562405/
    @BartMaster1234 shared this recently in the lunchtable thread - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ral-discussion.551852/page-4552#post-19705260

:cheers:

19. Mar 12, 2019 at 10:16 PM
    05prerun82

05prerun82 Your local friendly Taco Mule TTC#0202

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fredericksburg
    Vehicle:
    2006 aclb prerun
    Memphis sound system volant cold air intake
    Don't let the other guys tell you need 4wd that rear locker is more then enough for light to moderate offroading it's always best to wheel with a buddy even 4x4s get stuck in hardcore terrian

Area51Runner likes this.
  20. Mar 12, 2019 at 10:21 PM
    05prerun82

05prerun82 Your local friendly Taco Mule TTC#0202

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fredericksburg
    Vehicle:
    2006 aclb prerun
    Memphis sound system volant cold air intake
    When I bought my prerunner I was doughful on what it could do I would wheel close to other people with 4x4s just in case but I never had a problem going where they went don't get cocky with the locker you will dig yourself in fast in a prerunner speed is your best friend just send it hope for the best:headbang:

Area51Runner likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top