1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light options for the 2000 Taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bawilson21, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Aug 12, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    bawilson21

bawilson21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    WA
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 V6 4x4 5-speed
    Rear Diff Breather Extension Deck Plate Mod 31" Destination A/T 3" Body Lift Rancho 5000 Shocks Grey Wire 7Pin Tow harness
    Hey all! I have a 2000 Ext Cab V6 4x4 with the TRD offroad Pckg. I do some night driving and the stock headlights dont provide that much light, even with the super brite replacement bulbs. I wanted to add some fog lights and possible some larger off road lights but I dont know whats good or where I would mount them. Ive thought about getting a brush guard but I heard that they are crap as far as MPG goes and the Taco is my commuter. Any ideas?

100_2135.jpg

2. Aug 12, 2009 at 9:56 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Cut out the inside of the grill and you can fit 4 hella 500 perfectly there.

3. Aug 12, 2009 at 10:53 PM
    JayDub

JayDub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Pendleton, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    How much light are you looking for? You could drill into the bumper and in front of the grill and mount a 6" light (Hella, KC, PIAA, or one of the smaller Lightforce).

I've seen other people put square lights in the bottom area to the left and right of the tag. However, most people just drill into the plastic there, which causes them to wobble when the truck is under motion.

Have you thought about a Bull Bar? Not a full fledged brush guard, but a hoop you could put 2 lights on.

And then there's the Marty McFly Toyota with the lightbar. .:p
    [​IMG]

4. Aug 14, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    bawilson21

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    WA
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 V6 4x4 5-speed
    Rear Diff Breather Extension Deck Plate Mod 31" Destination A/T 3" Body Lift Rancho 5000 Shocks Grey Wire 7Pin Tow harness
    I was hoping to not have to drill into the bumper. Do you think if I got some small rectangular shaped lights and fixed them to some wort of mount, and ziptied the mount to that plastic bar to the side of the liscense plate would work or do youall think it wouldnt be sturdy enough?

5. Aug 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    bawilson21

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    WA
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 V6 4x4 5-speed
    So Dont shoot me for this one but I ran out to Walmart and picked up some cheep lights for 20 dollars. (I also added 20 slices of monterey Jack cheese and came out to a grand total of $23 and some change, woot!) Anywho, I know they arent the best and the quality sucks too so I only expect them to work for a few months, but I did put them on the truck. I dont like the idea of perminately modifying the truck just yet so I didnt want to drill holes in the bumper to mount, at least not on top where its visible should I remonve the lights. So I went ahead and got some bungee cord and wrapped them around that little plastic bar thats level with the turn signals. I think it looks really cool minus the screw thats hanging from the bottom. I still have to find out how Im going to effectively aim the lights so Im not having them point right in the mirror of the person in front of me. I also need to mount the switch better (its currently just sitting on the floor on the drivers side. I think when I finally get some decent lights Ill cut into the plastic on the shifter thing (real technical huh?) That can easily be replaced. Plus it looks cool IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Aug 14, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    bawilson21

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    WA
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 V6 4x4 5-speed
    I really need to take that stupid Burts Toyota thing frame off my Truck.. I dont even live in Colorado. Does TW sell Licsense plate frames?

7. Sep 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    I got an HID kit and four led lights on the front of my taco. On a dark highway with no lights it looks like daytime haha. And I mounted my switches to the right and left of the little compartment below my radio. I drilled two holes through the switches and screwed them to the side edges ogf the compartment

Products Discussed in

To Top