1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Limit straps adjustment, spring weight and other LT questions...

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by wfo9, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Aug 4, 2016 at 7:21 PM
    wfo9

wfo9 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 4 runner, 89 single cab
    lots of stuff
    I'll start off by saying i don't own a Tacoma (I sort of have one though) . I have a 89 SAS single cab pickup and a 2011 4runner. I figure those two combined equal a Tacoma. LOL

Anyway, I'm planing LT for the 4runner. It's more of a trail rig, so high speed is not really my reason for the LT. I just want more travel up front for doing more extreme trails... I already have a long travel in the rear and the truck does pretty well, but I want more. and to balance it out a bit

I came here because there seems to be very little LT experience elsewhere... and it seems like you guys have been running LT for a while.

As of right now I'm leaning towards the TC + 2" kit. I'm also considering all-pro. Again, my goal is mainly crawling not much speed. Since trails are my thing, I'm more concerned with down travel than total travel....

Sorry for all the LT newb questions, but here it goes:

1. What is the deal with limit straps and how do you know where to set them. Are they there to protect the CV or to protect the shocks from bottom out. Seems like non LT has no limit straps and the shocks do fine, but I could see where LT could be different. Just confused about which factor they are there for and how do you know where to set them (CVs or shock limit). Are they necessary on a trail only setup.

2. I've heard of people machining the inner CV to prevent bind and get a bit more travel. Also some people run those so called drop kits (which really only drop the rear of it a bit). Curious if people here do either of those things and if it makes a difference with LT.

3. Spring weight. I'll be running an addicted offroad bumper on my truck and probably a winch. Right now it has neither of these and does good with ICONs with 650lb springs. Curious what springs you guys run and what most people think would be good for my setup (assuming 2" TC). I want decent road manners, but still want good flex on the trails. I'm considering 700lb springs. Looking at going either ICON or King with the TC. I guess Fox if I did allpro.

4. No sway bar. I currently run my truck with a sway bar on a daily basis, but pull it off for wheeling. Can't stand the swaybar being there on the trails. With the LT, the sway bar option is gone, but I'm hoping the wider track plus a compression adjuster on the shocks(which I plan on getting) will give me good road manners. What has been the experience here...

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I will have more questions and hope I can contribute some good info myself once I get things going...

2. Aug 6, 2016 at 6:06 AM
    Ritchie

Ritchie Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    RC Step side Pre-runner
    2.7 w/auto, 4WU 3 link, F & R Diamonds, ARB's F/R w/ Yukon 5.29's, Inchworm 4.7 Lefty, Deavers, ARB OBA, Schrockworks up front.
    1. For the limit straps, in your soon-to-be case, they would assist for both shock bottom out and for the CV. I would say more for the CV with LT.
    2. Personally I don't know anyone who has machined the inners.
    3. When I was IFS with the ICON mid-travel setup, I had 650lb springs, winch and a plate bumper along with TC UCA's. Excellent performance.
    4. I ditched the sway bar years ago. The front worked well without it... period. It's my DD which my wife uses everyday. As I am now SAS'd, I still don't have one and it handles great.

Stay away from the diff drop.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

3. Aug 6, 2016 at 8:34 AM
    wfo9

wfo9 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 4 runner, 89 single cab
    lots of stuff
    Thanks for the response...useful info.

I would love to SAS my 5th gen and put a diamond under it.. but the electronics scare the crap out of me... I want the option to go back to stock if necessary and I have my little SAS truck for the really insane stuff.

So to adjust the limit straps.. You just let it droop on jack stands and then snug them up a bit?

4. Aug 6, 2016 at 8:45 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    The strap is kind of a preference really. Put the +2 kit on, strap it 1/2" from full droop is a good rule of thumb

5. Aug 7, 2016 at 6:20 AM
    Ritchie

Ritchie Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    RC Step side Pre-runner
    2.7 w/auto, 4WU 3 link, F & R Diamonds, ARB's F/R w/ Yukon 5.29's, Inchworm 4.7 Lefty, Deavers, ARB OBA, Schrockworks up front.
    ^^ This for IFS, no less.

When I went to SAS, I strapped them up 1" to allow for the strap to stretch over time.
    Once you have the LT parts on, I would keep an eye on the CV angle at droop. When you set the straps, keep them in mind.

Good luck.

6. Aug 8, 2016 at 10:32 PM
    bravelilshitposter

bravelilshitposter Licks paint and eats window chips

Member:
    chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    widebody V8
    Less length, more girth
    I'm in a different platform (tundra), but i'll throw in my $0.02. I run Camburg LT for general trail running. Not much high speed stuff. I ended up with custom length icon coilovers. I didn't plan on using a custom shock, but they were easier to get my hands on. I had them built to not bind the steering or CV at full extension. No limit straps. Icon said i'd be okay if I'm not constantly topping out the suspension, but limit straps would be easier on the shocks. For the sake of simplicity I skipped the straps. An off the shelf coilover may or may not fit quite the same.

On my specific truck the steering binds before the CV, so preventing tie rod end damage was my primary concern.

Products Discussed in

To Top