1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

limited slip differential

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by army9403, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Apr 15, 2008 at 4:54 AM
    army9403

army9403 [OP] Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner SR5 lifted
    3 inch revtek lift, 18 inch chrome rims, 285 60 r18 coopers ltz's, magnaflow, k&r intake, after market leather, and lots of lovin
    hey guys, im new to the tacoma world and owning a tacoma. i purchased my 2005 quad cab prerunner with limited slip differential. can someone explain this feature as if i was 10 lol. and also ive heard a locking differential is better, is it? and if so, would it be possible to install and upgrade to one. thanks again and excuse me for my lack of knowledge with this haha

2. Apr 15, 2008 at 5:12 AM
    Cburt

Cburt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4, White
    None currently,
    Limited slip is what you want for the street. A locking one is for off road use only. (not for the street)

Limited slip is where if one wheel is loosing traction, then the power is diverted to the other wheel. It is like a locking except it allows one wheel to turn faster than the other for going around corners. (good thing)

Locking is where both wheels are locked as one and if your on the street, it's not good for going around corners. (bad thing)

Now drink your milk, and go to bed.

3. Apr 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM
    Flycatcher

Flycatcher Master of the Universe

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2009 Acadia (regretfully sold the Taco)
    I have the open diff/w elocker and wish I had read a little more and got the LSD. The locker is very limited from the factory, (4LO, <5MPH, no hard surfaces). You can mod it to allow 4HI and many people routinely drive over 5 with it locked in. With the open diff you get less traction on the street with only 1 tire turning, but if you lose traction, you won't fishtail. With LSD, you get more traction, but if you break loose you will most likely fishtail since both tires are turning. I am used to LSD so I don't mind it, but some prefer the open diff. I talked to a dealer and for me to change over to LSD would be about $2500. $1800 for the axle and the rest in labor.

4. Apr 15, 2008 at 10:43 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    The stock LSD sucks man they use clutch packs and they wear out, mine where starting to wear out on my X-Runner and it only had 25k on it. You are better off getting an after market LSD that does not use clutch packs. :thumbsup:

5. Apr 15, 2008 at 11:19 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Your LSD will still help offroad/snow. Taking off from gravel to paved road, busting up snowy driveway or in the mud on the back of my property, both the rear wheels spin to get you moving. As said, it can come around quicker on a snowy road if you foolishly step on it. Locker has its benefits and is better for real off-roading, but seeing you got a 2wd Prerunner most likely you wont be rock-crawling or mud bogging anyway.

Mines got about 35K works great. I change the LSD oil every 20K, seeing you just got yours, you know if they have records of changing the oil? Best of the life of the clutches.

6. Apr 15, 2008 at 3:30 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    How do you know it's wearing out?

7. Apr 15, 2008 at 10:16 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
  8. Apr 16, 2008 at 6:44 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    One tire spins in situations that both used to spin. Others have had the same problems with there X-Runners aswell. Gadget from URD was one of the first to find this problem with the stock toyota LSD's.

Edit:

Janster If I was you I would not really worry about your LSD in your truck. I drove my X-Runner extremely hard and that may be part of the reason the LSD was wearing out. My new truck I drive like an old man (because its so slow ha ha).

Products Discussed in

To Top