1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

limited slip rearend

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 53wick, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Jan 3, 2015 at 9:50 AM
    53wick

53wick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2014 accesscab prerunner
    have a 2014 prerunner want to install a limited rearend. sick and tired of being at a light and trying to take off when it rains and one tire spinning all the time. was going to buy a new third member or some people call it a center section. is there anything that needs to be carry over from the stock third member since it has abs and all the other electronics on this thing? the only thing I might have to reuse is the yoke but that should come with the new third member.

2. Jan 3, 2015 at 9:57 AM
    TACORIDER

TACORIDER Just another statistic

Member:
    First Name:
    JAKE
    EAST TAWAKONI TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TACO and some other Toyota’s
    Are you saying switch the 3rd member that has a E locker into yours?

3. Jan 3, 2015 at 10:08 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Until you do the job and spend a thousand dollars, have you bothered to use your existing limited slip on slippery roads? It may not be as good, but there will never be a differential to rebuild when the LSD clutch pads wear out.

Press the button just quickly and see AUTO LSD light come on. The button has this on it: avatar7907_14_2dbf3432433974eeb60eb958d75d15d11c97c2f3.gif

and is located here:

1-26-11014_2bf5fe4444b55452650b2afc2775ff632259b9bf.jpg

1-26-11012_2d80078b1525b690dafcfd6a9dc2af7b3e977e3b.jpg

The Tacoma operates on a 'lite' limited slip system called TRAC. When there is wheel spin, the TRAC system cuts power and adds brake pressure to the spinning tire. In AUTO LSD (aka Trac Off), there is only brake action and no power regulation. In affect, you get a strong limited slip to move you ahead.

REDdawn6 likes this.
  4. Jan 3, 2015 at 10:20 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    less throttle, and/or better tires, or check tire air pressure for correct pressure may help. Weight over top of your drive wheels in the bed of the box will make a big difference as well.

5. Jan 3, 2015 at 10:40 AM
    53wick

Member:
    kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2014 accesscab prerunner
    IMO the trac is a joke. I have had no problems with the clutch packs in my f150 before with L/S. trac is no good because I can give it more gas and overpower it, in the snow its one thing when you need the traction to get up a hill, but when I am at a light and its turns green and almost get hit from behind because one wheel is spinning is bs,

Depoxy likes this.
  6. Jan 3, 2015 at 11:00 AM
    53wick

Member:
    kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2014 accesscab prerunner
    I have played with trac on and off in the snow and can not tell one bit off different between the two. IMO I should not have to hit a button on the dash when I drive in the rain to get this truck going. my f150 2wd with L/S, I could stop it in my yard the grass being wet and going uphill and would go up it, this Tacoma will not, one wheel spins, have to back up and get a run to get up it.

7. Jan 3, 2015 at 3:19 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Well, not to dismiss your system, but short of the locker (TRD OFF ROAD) or spending bucks on a new diff, the AUTO LSD is what all Tacomas have for that situation, unless you have 4WD, then that is the best.

In sand for me, AUTO LSD spins both tires in the same manner as 'posi traction' limited slip (see My Cousin Vinny for a simple explanation as to how, lol).

When you say no difference between TRAC and TRAC OFF, I hope you do mean AUTO LSD (2WD) and not the VSC OFF which is no traction control, like open differentials and only one tire will spin.

TRAC offers some limited slip, enough for brief traction loss to prevent wasted energy to the spin... is not instant.

AUTO LSD (quick press of button moving or stopped) is a definite upgrade in making both tires work together and not just one tire spinning. There is no power cut in AUTO LSD, just braking of the non traction tire.

VSC OFF is when you stop the truck and hold in the button for three or more seconds.

AUTO LSD is probably the bad weather selection if you are a 2WD truck. The button needs to be pressed again if you restart your truck.

=========================================================

The names Toyota uses are not the best, at least in English...

In 2WD all Tacomas since 2009 have:

TRAC is light limited slip (engine regualtion).
    TRAC OFF / AUTO LSD are the same and strong limited slip (no regulation).
    VSC OFF: No limited slip & no stability control.

8. Jan 3, 2015 at 9:52 PM
    53wick

Member:
    kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2014 accesscab prerunner
    I was looking at that, calling them the first of the week. how did you disable trac , did it have a relay that you removed? what do you think of it, is it quiet?

9. Jan 3, 2015 at 9:57 PM
    tbird95

tbird95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport SR5 V6 DC, LB, 4x4, Tow package
    4runner heated, signal, courtesy light side mirrors, rearview mirror w/compass, temp & backup cam w/ pop luck PL 5400, Interior lights/gauges, BHLM, grillcraft MX black. Third brake light LED swap, rear tail lights LED swap from 2011. 3" Toytec (Boss) Coil overs, rear TSB AAL Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA. TRD grill badge, VIPER Smart Start.
    I don't have that button but have seen the indicator light on my gauges come on in icy conditions. I recently bought the button as the plug is already pre wired in my 08 TRD sport. No matter what I do that button doesn't seem to do a dang thing, it wires up perfectly though and the emblem is lit. Any thoughts?

10. Jan 4, 2015 at 10:08 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    You need to talk to a Toyota tech... if you have a 2008 with optional TRAC/ VSC feature, but no control button, who knows. You added a button, but it does nothing? Is there any beeping when you begin to skid on slippery surfaces (that indicates the VSC is working)?
    Again, I am just conversing but have no answer for a pre 2009 Tacoma that may have TRAC & VSC.

11. Jan 5, 2015 at 9:23 PM
    tbird95

tbird95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport SR5 V6 DC, LB, 4x4, Tow package
    4runner heated, signal, courtesy light side mirrors, rearview mirror w/compass, temp & backup cam w/ pop luck PL 5400, Interior lights/gauges, BHLM, grillcraft MX black. Third brake light LED swap, rear tail lights LED swap from 2011. 3" Toytec (Boss) Coil overs, rear TSB AAL Bilsteins, Light Racing UCA. TRD grill badge, VIPER Smart Start.
    it hasnt beeped recently but about a year ago i was driving in some questionable conditions to say the least and in 4 hi and about 70mph a started to slip and the light flashed and it beeped , this was pre button. I installed the button, pressed it, drove around and tried again but nothing though I wasn't spinning at all. Recently I was driving in 2 wheel at highway speeds and hit an icy patch and my rear end kicked out, no lights, no beeps. I regained control through steering and simply removing my foot from the gas as the ice was patchy but i did slide enough that it should have came on (I fishtailed 3 times). Button is still disconnected but my ice traction seems shot. Did I turn it off i wonder? so toyota tech is this the site you enter your VIN number and they tell you what was OE on your truck? does it work in CANADA?

12. Jan 5, 2015 at 9:33 PM
    ndcmack

ndcmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    NICK
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4x4 TRD DCSB
    Not enough
    2005-2007(I think it's 07' that it went electronic, aka fake LSD) have mechanical limited slip rears, in the Sports. Call ECGS( http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/ ) and see if the can hook you up with one. I have a mechanical LSD and love it for normal driving, offroad I would prefer a locker.

13. Jan 6, 2015 at 8:03 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

2005-2008 Sport TRD has the mechanical/ clutch limited slip.
    2009 + ALL Tacomas have the elecronic/ brake limited slip.

Using brakes and engine regulation to slow or stop wheel spin is what it is, and it is not fake by any means. Just newer technology. Getting new brake pads is sure a lot cheaper than rebuilding a differential when the clutch pads wear out!

14. Jan 6, 2015 at 8:22 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    It is a joke. Slowing the wheels when you need power the most. Detuning the engine when it detects slip angles thinking it's goig to roll. Both ABS and traction control suck ass on our trucks.

15. Jan 6, 2015 at 9:42 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    and yet just a quick press of the button disables the engine regulation feature of TRAC and converts it to TRAC OFF/ AUTO LSD ON. It also shuts off the VSC up to 30 mph for those that hate that.

16. Jan 29, 2015 at 7:14 PM
    shr133

shr133 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Muskego, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 Sport
    K & N filter, 275 70 17 Cooper AT3, OME Nitrocharger shocks, 884 Springs, Dakar leafs.
    I think I'm going to get the auburn limited slip for the rear and if I like it I'm going to get the eaton true trac for the front...

LDS only works ok but it's a pain spinning 1 wheel every time it rains.....

17. Mar 15, 2015 at 9:07 PM
    dogboy

dogboy Active Member

Member:
    So. MD
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite '15 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport 4dr
    So.... Uh... Stoopid question: the electronic LSD in the rear, the "AUTO LSD," is always a LSD, right? It just includes throttle regation as well unless you tap the VSC OFF button. Right?

18. Nov 8, 2016 at 7:20 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    No, auto LSD is not an LSD at all. It is simply a brake controlling system where when one of the rear wheels begins to slip, brakes are applied to the slipping wheel to transfer power to the opposite wheel and pull the truck. Sounds good in theory, but in reality its a cheap bandaid to cover up the lack of traction. As others have mentioned, it won't stop the inherent "one wheel peel" that an open diff will always give you, it only really does a decent job of torque vectoring through corners, meaning its relatively good at limiting the speed of the inside wheel around corners and transferring some power to the outside wheel. You will NOT get the bite through a corner that a true Limited slip would give you, because while the system does well to distribute power, it does this largely by limiting power with the brakes. A limited slip will allow you to use 100% of throttle and will only do its best to control the power from there, whereas toyotas system in effect is more of a 'nanny system', only limiting the full power of the truck through corners to keep it safer. Also, AUTO LSD is only on when you turn it on, otherwise it will act like a completely open diff, which it is

19. Nov 8, 2016 at 9:59 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Auto LSD is selected by pressing the VSC button quickly. It uses brakes to slow the free spin of a tire that looses traction. A light comes on and says either AUTO LSD or TRAC OFF (2WD or 4WD).

Before you press the button, however, your truck has TRAC which is limited slip that also cuts power to stop spinning along with brakes. So, you are not in a uncontrolled, open diff vehicle.

To have the traction controls turned off, then stop the truck and hold in the VSC OFF button until the VSC OFF light comes on.

stevotivo12 likes this.
  20. Nov 8, 2016 at 10:04 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Sorry that was my mistype, I momentarily forgot about the presence of TRAC... What I meant is that if you had a mechanical LSD and did the wire mod to completely disable TRAC system then you would have the best of both worlds

Products Discussed in

To Top