1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Limited Slip vs. Locking Differential

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by notlawd, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Jul 18, 2007 at 7:41 AM
    flyman767

flyman767 Well-Known Member

Member:
    notlawd...confused on the locker or the LSD?? Everyone has an opinion on what type of differential you should have.. but the bottom line: It's really dependent on what type of driving you plan on doing? If you don't plan on leaving the pavement... I can't see spending the money on a locker. However, If you plan on occasionally leaving the pavement... then the locker might be a good option. The LSD is a definite plus in slippery conditions on pavement. So... why not have both? Understand, the differential is one or the other, LSD or LOCKED and there is no way to switch between the two; however, when you order the TRD with optional VSC(vehicle skid control) you do get both. For the locker, you engage the differential electronically, when needed...by a push of a button; however, when the locker is not engaged, the VSC computer will give you a Auto-LSD. Rather than a LSD built into the gears of a differential, the Auto-LSD utilizes a on-board VSC computer, in conjunction with traction control system and applies individual wheel braking simulating a geared LSD. Again, this all happens when the on-board VSC computer senses either a skid, slip, or a tire begins to spin. In this configuration: basically, you end up with the best of both worlds...a locker for offroading and a Auto-LSD w/slid and skid protection for poor driving conditions on pavement. Also, beginning in 07', you can turn the the VSC off if you like to have a little fun offroading...;)

Cadmus likes this.
  2. Jul 18, 2007 at 4:55 PM
    notlawd

notlawd [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info. I was considering the VSC option but the salesman said it would be hard to order from the factory with the TRD and VSC (obviously you were able to). Did you also get side curtain airbags?

3. Jul 18, 2007 at 5:50 PM
    flyman767

flyman767 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salesman never cease to amaze me...simply not true, VSC is an option available at the time of ordering. VSC can be ordered with any Tacoma package or version. My guess is that he's telling you that because finding a truck with the VSC option on a 'stock' or 'local stock' is a little more difficult... especially when inventory is low. They want to sell you a truck now and not have to wait on a 'special order' to make their commission.

As far as the side curtain bags....they are also an available option; however, I have the Access cab and there available only on the double cab versions. Good Luck :)

4. Jul 20, 2007 at 8:55 AM
    stratton

stratton Well-Known Member

Member:
    yeah its possible. my dealer at first gave me a hassel. we finally had to locate one at another dealer. it has vsc auto lsd and i can lock the read diff's. plus i got it with side curtain airbags for the family sake.

5. Apr 9, 2008 at 5:27 PM
    stashko

stashko New Member

Member:
    fort mcmurray
    Vehicle:
    looking
    hey im trying to decide over the trd sr5 sport or the trd off road.... i will be doing off roading and i like all the options on the off road package...skid plates locking diff.... but i do like the limited slip diff on the sport model...but is the limited slip really worth giving up all those other options??? i do alot of road drving also.. and do some street stunting... what do you guys think about the limited slip diff's..??

6. Apr 9, 2008 at 8:00 PM
    stratton

stratton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Unless i have it all wrong. If you go with the offroad pack. you will get the locking diff and the diff slip in the same package. With my offroad pack. i have a button that i can control them. Its always in vsc mode and traction control. Once i push the vsc button the limited slip comes on and the traction control goes off.. if you hold that down then the limited slip and vsc aswell as the traction controll will turn off. If you want raw power then you can push another button thats called rear diffs. that locks the rear. My dealer and research says that the sport package only gets you the fake hood scoop. and a few cosmetic options. Its really a no brainer. Please correct me if i am wrong. But so far i have tried and tested what i have said. It works like a charm.

7. Apr 10, 2008 at 7:32 AM
    80 atoyot

80 atoyot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bahstan Mass
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab-SR5-Boat Tower....We are both getting old !!!
    Double DIN JVC Head unit with Ipod and Bluetooth, Plays video even while driving Shhhhh...Speaker replacement, 200 W Alpine Amp. Glove box twin 12V power outlets
    Just my 0.02 $

I ordered my 08 SR5 with LSD. I live in NE and in the snow the 4WD with the LSD is great. I do not have any off road options. Because I dont go there. The truck rides smooth and quiet and thats the way I like it.
    Even when its raining I can feel the LSD a bit if I hit the pedal too hard.

Since I am an ocean boater, and launch my 21' the LSD gives me some confidence that on a very slippery ramp I will have both back tires helping to pull me up along with the 4WD.

No buttons to push, nothinking about it, it just works when it has to.

Good Luck....you'll love your new ride. I DO...:)

8. Apr 10, 2008 at 7:52 AM
    eye one

eye one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like you have the VSC option, not exclusive nor standard with the Offroad package.

9. Apr 10, 2008 at 8:35 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    With the off-road you get an open diff with an electronic locker. Since you have the VSC option, it simulates a limited slip, in that if one wheel is spinning the truck applies the brakes at that wheel to try to shift some of the power back to the other tire, but it is not a true limited slip.

Limited slip come with the sport, and can be ordered with the SR5 but is not available with the off-road.

But I do agree with your other point that the sport is mostly cosmetic, while the off-road does have more functional goodies.

10. Apr 10, 2008 at 9:03 PM
    stashko

stashko New Member

Member:
    fort mcmurray
    Vehicle:
    looking
    thanks for the info guys that really helped me in deciding.. and ill go with the off road pack for sure now...

11. Feb 24, 2009 at 10:29 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    This is an old thread that I found searching with google... but I have a question for 007tacoma. Where are you finding the Detroit truetrac? I can't find the right application for our new gen trucks. I hear its only for the old gen? Correct me if I am wrong because I am really interested in getting this.

Thanks!
    ~Slim

12. Feb 25, 2009 at 11:12 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I didn't find it unfortunately. You are correct - the TrueTrac is only available for the older Tacomas. The guy I was talking to about putting one in was wanting to retrofit one for my differential - not an idea I was crazy about.

13. Oct 4, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    GTVAPSAMTIK

GTVAPSAMTIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SOHAIL
    Fort Carson, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 Automatic
    EXTANG Tuff WeatherTech Liners Toyota Bed Mat Coverkind Seat Covers
    Look at the list, explains what u get Extra with TRD OFF ROAD.
    TACOMA066_a6dd57b03fbff46c4429c8ef77503c8e9e3fee18.jpg

14. Oct 6, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    lightfire

lightfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    So what is the difference between VSC with ATRAC and VSC with Trac as listed in the sticker above?

If a person wants for winter driving on pavement it sounds like the LSD on the sport package is best. Or no?

15. Jan 30, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    stitch

stitch PreRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner sr5 v6 double cab
    none yet
    hey guys. i have a 2004 sr5 prerunner. ive read that the sr5 prerunners have SLD but i got stuck in a sand parking lot cause only one wheel spun. if i dont have one than i can i replace my rearend with a TRD LSD?

16. Oct 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    boto

boto Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Quebec/Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 taco dbl.cab.long bed TRD
    fog anytime bhlm royal purple oil kn&n oil/air filter secondary filter removed ultimate lift kit toytech 3 inch coilovers ans add a leaf relentless fab diy bumper
    wow 32 k thats not alot here its 45k double cab long beb trd sport

17. Oct 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    This is a 4 + year old thread guys!

Since the 2009 model: All Tacomas have VSC, TRAC limited slip, and no more mechanical limited slip differentials.

Only the Off Road TRD has a locking rear differential and A-TRAC (front and rear near locker-like traction control).

18. Oct 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    2006TRDSPORT

2006TRDSPORT 2006TRDSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Felton, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I have the limited slip & for daily use, have never had issues whatsoever. That includes snow, rain, dirt, etc. Granted, I never went climbing rocks but I don't anticipate doing that so I'm good. I guess it all depends on where you live, but where I live it's just what I need.

Products Discussed in

To Top